iPad disrupting global DRAM market, causing chipmakers to lose billions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

You can pick up SODIMMs for less than what it costs you to take your wife out on date night. Seriously. 8 GB goes for like $40 at Fry's.

The average Android user most likely spends less than $40 for a date night.

A lovely and intimate dinner for two can be had at the local McDonald's for around $10.00. Within this romantic environment, the Fandroids can also bring free coupons that they have collected so that they can get a free large sized coke to go along with their meal. Going to a real restaurant is too overpriced and not a good value for a Fandroid's wallet. It's all about the price for a Fandroid.

Why should I buy an iPad when I can get something else that only costs $200? The both have screens, so they're practically the same thing.

Why should I bring my girlfriend to Smith & Wollensky's, when I can just bring her to McDonald's. They both serve hamburgers, and they're practically the same thing.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the mentality of a Fandroid.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    I'll bet Samsung isn't the biggest chip maker in the world 5 years from now.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have two new MBPs one 4 one 8 gigs there is a hell of a difference to be honest. I am upping the other to 8 asap.

Well it looks like conradjoe doesn't do anything very complicated with his computer since he has 2 gigs spare all the time. Assuming he is running Windows 7, 64 bit, it takes more memory than 32 bit because more memory registers, pointers etc. Just booting and opening a browser is going to eat up 2 gigs. Of course if he is running 32 bit Windows he can only address 3 of the 4 gigs installed anyway so it would be virtually impossible to have 2 gigs spare.

You and I on the other hand run video editing applications so 4 gigs is clearly not enough.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    These manufacturers are just being dram-a queens.

Oh quit groaning!
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah? Good to know. I haven't priced sticks of RAM for a while. Last time I did, upgrading to 8 was very tempting. Maybe by now it is a much easier decision.

16GB kits for recent MBPs are around $450.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

You can pick up SODIMMs for less than what it costs you to take your wife out on date night. Seriously. 8 GB goes for like $40 at Fry's.

Wow $5.00 a gig. This makes up for when I paid $100.00 per meg.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

$100.00 per meg is pretty cheap compared to the around $3000.00 I paid a long time ago for 12 meg RAM for a sampler.

RAM prices these days are a joke.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

You young'ns...

I paid $1,400 for 48K RAM on my Apple ][ in 1978...
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You young's...

You were years ahead of me. It wasn't until the 80's that I had my first 48 K computer, an Atari 800.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

You young's...

And I paid 24 groats for my abacus back in 1423...
  • Reply 31 of 63
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

You young's...

$500 for the Commodore 64 in 1982. That was the shit!
  • Reply 32 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

PC sales have been in doldrums since 2008; in the winter quarter of that year, Windows sales dropped by 8 percent rather than growing by 10 percent as Microsoft had expected. Sales remained down during 2009's global financial crisis and then Apple released the iPad in 2010. Apple has since sold 40 million iPads, and may sell another 20 million during this winter quarter, according to Forrester Research.

All hogwash. In reality, PC sales are still growing (not counting the iPad or other tablets). They're growing at a slower rate than previously, but they're growing.

Add in the fact that PCs come with more RAM than in the past and it's clear that RAM demand is also increasing.

What happened is the same thing that happens every 3-5 years in the memory industry (same thing happens in the chemical and many other capital intensive markets, btw). When prices are good and business is growing, everyone suddenly decides to build massive amounts of new capacity all at once. When the new capacity comes on line, the prices drop and manufacturers complain about the market (even though the market is still growing, just not as fast as supply). So they stop building new plants until demand catches up with supply and prices go up. Then the entire cycle repeats.

It happens over and over - and has nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    i remember when people were calling the iPad and "oversized iphone" and look at it now.

Disrupting PCs, created a brand new market in which dozens of Android tablets are desperate to keep up with, selling 40 MILLION units - which is more than the entire population of Canada!
  • Reply 34 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple now ships more iPads than all the PCs Dell sells

In the last calendar quarter, Apple shipped 11.1 million iPads, which not only expanded the computing market with less need for DRAM, but also held back sales of conventional PCs. Apple actually sold more iPads than rival Dell sold in all its PCs together (10.6 million).

Michael Dell should liquidate the company and give the proceeds back to the shareholders.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    I'm willing to bet that this is one of the reasons why Wall Street will be very happy to see Apple fail and why there is so much anti-Apple hate in the media. There's always this undertone of Apple device-based component supply chain disruptions and Apple failing to meet analysts' expectations, no matter how many products they sell. This despite Apple numbers eating into many other computer manufacturers' sales numbers. No doubt there are plenty of hedge funds that are being hurt by Apple causing a shift in traditional computing. Honestly, Apple should be given far more credit of changing the computer industry and its share price should reflect Apple's leadership strength.

Instead Wall Street is constantly saying that Apple is pretty much doomed to failure due to the likelihood of being undercut in prices and easily being copycatted by other computer manufacturers. I'm always hearing how Apple's iPad is going to be a failure in the long run due to not being versatile enough when compared to traditional computing platforms. Apple is clearly disrupting the computer industry but there are so many suspicious factions either trying to downplay the situation or they're actively trying to take Apple down in order to remove the company's from its leadership position. Apple shareholders are definitely not getting back what Apple is taking from the rest of the computer industry. Apple and shareholders are clearly getting disrespected by Wall Street in order to stop Apple from getting any wealthier and even more powerful.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    so much for the "Media tablet" and "iPad is not a computer" arguments
  • Reply 37 of 63
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

The DRAM's are not separate chips, they are part of the A5 chip.

Wrong. They are seperate chips that are integrated into the A5 (and A4) package

Quote:

There is no additional cost for Apple in the iDevices unlike the Desktops or Laptops.

Wrong again. Memory is not manufactured by Apple, they buy it from multiple suppliers and that is reflected on the packaging of the A4 and A5

Here, this might help you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/5

Quote:

Also, Windows 7 and Lion are not requiring more DRAM to run optimally.

Meh - you can never have enough RAM IMNSHO. I think overall sales are simply down. Some is the economy, some is the iPad - and I think the hard drive shortage will make it worse. If it accelerates flash production and thus SSD pricing, then bravo!
  • Reply 38 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

WMeh - you can never have enough RAM IMNSHO. I think overall sales are simply down. Some is the economy, some is the iPad - and I think the hard drive shortage will make it worse. If it accelerates flash production and thus SSD pricing, then bravo!

Note that they didn't say that sales were down - at least not in GB terms. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of RAM sold is still increasing (after all, PC sales are increasing (albeit slowly) and the amount of RAM per PC is going up, as well).

All that has happened is that sales haven't increased fast enough to use up the excess capacity that they built. Typical poor planning from cyclical businesses.

I agree that it's time that Flash RAM production needs to increase. Tablets are eating up huge quantities which is preventing SSD prices from dropping they way they should as the industry matures. Hopefully, switching some DRAM production to Flash will help.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The average Android user most likely spends less than $40 for a date night.

A lovely and intimate dinner for two can be had at the local McDonald's for around $10.00. Within this romantic environment, the Fandroids can also bring free coupons that they have collected so that they can get a free large sized coke to go along with their meal. Going to a real restaurant is too overpriced and not a good value for a Fandroid's wallet. It's all about the price for a Fandroid.

Why should I buy an iPad when I can get something else that only costs $200? The both have screens, so they're practically the same thing.

Why should I bring my girlfriend to Smith & Wollensky's, when I can just bring her to McDonald's. They both serve hamburgers, and they're practically the same thing.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the mentality of a Fandroid.

Couldn't help turning an actual discussion on these boards into an anti-Android rant huh child?

Learn some self control.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

What complete. PC sales are down due to a worldwide recession. Companies aren't spending money upgrading and replacing PC's. Nothing to do with the iPad. It's easy to point a finger at someone else when it's your own bad planning that landed you in the sh!t.

+1. The iPad isn't the reason for the problem. It is the global industry undergoing recession and the fact that corporations have woken up to the fact that they don't need to keep upgrading their machines every other year.