[?]iTunes WMA support just around the corner?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bumped into something funny today: iTunes 4.1 contains icons for WMA files already!

If you ctrl-click (or right click) on iTunes and select "show package contents" and the the folder Contents/Resources. Then you'll find the file iTunes-wma.icns. Double clicking on that one will open the icons file in preview and you'll see: it's really an icon file for WMA files.

(Full path /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes-wma.icns)

Does this mean that WMA support ist jut around the corner, e. g. 4.1.1 or 4.2 will support it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    that was in 4.0 as well
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    It probably just means that if QuickTime ever happens to get WMA functionality iTunes can step in as a player for them. I doubt it would ever support encoding to WMA, only playing.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

It probably just means that if QuickTime ever happens to get WMA functionality iTunes can step in as a player for them. I doubt it would ever support encoding to WMA, only playing.

Playing WMA would be enough for my taste ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

that was in 4.0 as well

And 3.0 even.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hedging their bets. I would say most likely they aren't going to add it anytime soon and if they keep going WMA looks like it will lose. I hope.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    If Apple's true motivation is to sell more hardware, WMA support (playing only) HAS to be on the way.

That said, it is still VERY early in the format battles.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I don't think so Apple want's AAC to be the standard not WMA, besides AAC is superior to WMA. If people don't like it they can go back to Windows Media Player. iTunes is a free app already people want it to do everything.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

I don't think so Apple want's AAC to be the standard not WMA, besides AAC is superior to WMA. If people don't like it they can go back to Windows Media Player. iTunes is a free app already people want it to do everything.

I agree with this. I think there is another issue at play, which is the "format war". It is likely to be a "winner take all" kind of thing (like BETA vs. VHS).

There has to be SOMETHING immune to Microsoft's Monopolostic Death Ray!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yeah, itunes for windows can easily import wma, but mac version of itunes can not support wma

luckily i one of my friends recommend a way to import and play wma in itunes for mac

just google search How to Import WMA to iTunes/iTunes Match/iPod/iPhone/iPad or iCloud WMA

you will find a step by step guide on how to import wma to itunes for playing