Need help choosing which Hard Drive to put in G5 iSight

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The size isn't as important (at least 160gb like stock- but bigger would be fine). I'm just not sure which Hard drive would be compatible with it. I'm wanting to spend as little as possible on this as I can- so refurbished would be fine as well.

This will be my first Hard drive install on a G5 iMac- too bad its on the iSight (wish me luck)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You NEVER want to have a refurb hard drive. That just doesn't sound safe.

What's your budget?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You NEVER want to have a refurb hard drive. That just doesn't sound safe.

What's your budget?

As cheap as possible. I wouldn't think a refurb hard drive was a good idea, but if its 3x the difference for a new one, I might lean towards it. Just briefly looking at Newegg, a 320gb hard drive is $80 or so.... that just seems excessive to put into an old computer- but maybe I don't have an logical alternative.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

As cheap as possible. I wouldn't think a refurb hard drive was a good idea, but if its 3x the difference for a new one, I might lean towards it. Just briefly looking at Newegg, a 320gb hard drive is $80 or so.... that just seems excessive to put into an old computer- but maybe I don't have an logical alternative.

You can get a SATA II terabyte drive for $80 if you want. You can put whatever you desire into an old computer; you shouldn't limit yourself based on what you think is 'worth' putting in there.

I dunno, you want it to be cheap, otherwise I'd suggest getting a SATA III 3TB drive for it. That way when you upgrade to a new desktop (if you upgrade to a new desktop), you can get the stock HDD with it and just swap the two without losing any speed on the new desktop (because those are all SATA III now) and only losing space on the old one.

But again, you said as cheap as possible, so I'd say grab a SATA II 1TB drive.