We're being bugg(er)ed! Carrier IQ rootkit in iOS, too

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To date, the user tracking controversy surrounding Carrier IQ has focused primarily on Android, but today details are surfacing that the company also has hooks into Apple's iOS. Well-known iPhone hacker Chpwn tweeted today that versions at least as recent as iPhone OS 3.1.3 contained references to Carrier IQ and later confirmed it's in all versions of iOS, including iOS 5.

Details are still emerging; however, iPhone users will be happy to hear that while it's reported that the software is available to the OS, "the good news is that it does not appear to actually send any information so long as a setting called DiagnosticsAllowed is set to off, which is the default".

FYI: CIQ rootkit logs your every move and keystroke on your phone, and 'phones home' to upload all your data and your passwords to the mothership.

What happens with that information after that nobody knows...

It's anybody's guess of course when the CIQ rootkit on iOS will be (remotely) activated...

Houston, we have a problem!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yeah, we? know. Apple has already issued a statement on it and promised its removal from iOS.

They do not keylog nor transmit data if the user says not to.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, we? know. Apple has already issued a statement on it and promised its removal from iOS.

They do not keylog nor transmit data if the user says not to.

Yeah, right.

Apple has lied before.

Android users have an app with which they can actually check, themselves, whether the CIQ rootkit is installed and active on their phones:

http://yournewip.edu.tc/browse.php?u...D0xMTA%3D&b=13

Who is going to publish something like that for iOS? Because Apple cannot be trusted.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rovers View Post

Yeah, right.

Apple has lied before.

Who is going to publish something like that for iOS? Because Apple cannot be trusted.

Ah, so that's where you stand. Got it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Ah, so that's where you stand. Got it.

I see, you prefer to believe a known liar's statements.

I don't.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rovers View Post

I see, you prefer to believe a known liar's statements.

I don't.

I prefer to know the truth. Whether given by a company itself or a governmental body designed to ascertain said truth from a lying company is no matter.

They're not lying. Period.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

They're not lying. Period.

Just willing it doesn't make it so. Just shouting it at the top of your lungs, as often as you can, doesn't make it so.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6581567_7609329_759518

Trust is good. Checking for yourself IRL is better.

Especially since Apple did it before. Or have you, conveniently, forgotten that rootkit a couple years ago? They have proven they can't be trusted (like all the other big corps).