Hearst praises Apple's 'efficient' iPad as digital subscriptions swell

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Though the company admits there was "drama" in negotiating with Apple, Hearst is now praising the iPad as a viable platform for magazine subscriptions.

Hearst Magazine president David Carey said in an interview this week with Reuters that his company has about 400,000 digital subscribers across all tablets, though Apple's iPad dominates the tablet market. Hearst's subscriber number is expected to surge to more than 1 million at some point in 2012.

Magazine publishers such as Hearst initially held out on bringing their publications to the iPad. The main sticking points were Apple's share of sales on the App Store, as well as the sharing of lucrative personal data about subscribers.

Carey admitted that there was "so much drama" in negotiations with Apple, noting that someone could sell the movie rights to the debate that ensued. But Hearst eventually reached a deal with Apple in May, and subscriptions for Esquire, Popular Mechanics, and O, The Oprah Magazine arrived in July.

Publishers and Apple eventually reached an agreement in which customers could choose to opt in or out of sharing certain personal data with magazine publishers. To the surprise of Carey and Hearst, between 60 and 65 percent of iPad subscribers have chosen to share their personal data.

In addition, he said tablet providers, without specifically naming Apple, take about a 35 percent cut of subscription revenue. That leaves 65 percent for Hearst, which is greater than the 55 percent publishers usually keep from newsstand sales.

"It's a pretty efficient distribution for us, to be honest," Carey reportedly said.

To put Hearst's 400,000 current digital subscribers in perspective, the company revealed in late September that paid digital magazine downloads were then topping 300,000 per month. That was weeks before Apple launched iOS 5 with Newsstand, a new feature for magazines and newspapers with automatic downloads that boosted sales for rival publisher Conde Nast by 268 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Anyone here subscribing to magazines? I don't even know where to find them.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Did you *have* to pick the picture of the cigarette addict? Out of all the pictures available you chose to promote the "smoking is cool" meme.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Did you *have* to pick the picture of the cigarette addict? Out of all the pictures available you chose to promote the "smoking is cool" meme.

Really! Good call!

Stupid on all accounts!
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm subscribing to magazines through NewsStand and through Zinio.

I'm not sure if you're serious about not knowing how to find them, but if you are, here's how.

1. Click Newsstand

2. When Newsstand opens, click the "Store" button.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I'm not sure if you're serious about not knowing how to find them, but if you are, here's how.

1. Click Newsstand

No, he's serious. This SolipsismX guy is new to AppleInsider and new to Apple products so I'm sure he'll appreciate the tip.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

No, he's serious. This SolipsismX guy is new to AppleInsider and new to Apple products so I'm sure he'll appreciate the tip.

I actually didn't know, or more accurately, had forgotten. I checked out the app in the iOS 5.0 betas but there was no Store to access or didn't work. I forget which. Either, I clearly lost interest but I'll check it out again.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

1. Click Newsstand

Newsstand needs work. It seems every magazine is listed as free which is misleading as you have to pay for in-app purchases to get content. I also hate the way the magazine store is mixed in with the app store. There is no way to sort publications. Not a huge deal but annoyingly flawed.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Are you serious?

Could it possibly be in that Newsstand app that you must keep on your screen and can't even put in a folder without any extra trickery?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I have pretty much switched over to reading all my books on the iPhone. I haven't yet even felt interested in trying my magazines on the phone... I suspect that would change if I ever got an iPad...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    I love it. Have popular science and will continue to get more. Its easy to read, beautiful images and videos added. Very SciFi way of reading magazines.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

: Aren't you all here gathered adults?!
  • Reply 12 of 38
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Ummm yeah Because that's the first thing that most rational people will think\
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are you serious?

Could it possibly be in that Newsstand app that you must keep on your screen and can't even put in a folder without any extra trickery?

That is my last page filled with apps I never use, like YouTube, Stocks and Weather (I use the Notification pull down for the last two)

I checked it out the app again. Then I pressed Store. Then I hit the Home Button before the Store could fully load. I didn't like that I can't see what's new in the Newsstand like you can in a store. I understand that it's for your items but I just don't like going to the App Store without a specific link to an item to initiate a download.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Quote:

1. Click Newsstand

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are you serious?

Tough crowd.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: Aren't you all here gathered adults?!

There is a big difference between adult and judgmental adult. Too many people these days just believe their morality and rational is the only right one.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So yet again Steve was right and he had to drag these idiots into the 21st century screaming and kicking just as he did the music industry. If only he were here to do the same to the TV and Film industries. \
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

I most frequently see them at the airport bookstore while waiting for a flight. Okay, I see a few magazines at the doctor and dentist offices. I read Playboy, Sports Illustrated and Consumer Reports when I get my haircut (at a barber shop, not a hair salon).

The subscription cards are the little pieces of paper that fall out when you open the periodical to read.

Curious.

• Reply 18 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I most frequently see them at the airport bookstore while waiting for a flight. Okay, I see a few magazines at the doctor and dentist offices. I read Playboy, Sports Illustrated and Consumer Reports when I get my haircut (at a barber shop, not a hair salon).

I gotta find a new barber!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, he said tablet providers, without specifically naming Apple, take about a 35 percent cut of subscription revenue. That leaves 65 percent for Hearst, which is greater than the 55 percent publishers usually keep from newsstand sales.

"It's a pretty efficient distribution for us, to be honest," Carey reportedly said.

What? Apple provides value? The cut is actually reasonable? Halt the presses - hell has frozen over and the end of the world is neigh!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I gotta find a new barber!

Oh come on, you can read Consumer Reports in lots of places.