iPhone battery woes persist with Apple's first iOS 5.1 beta

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Though my sarcasm could be worded more clearly you've completely missed the point. AnandTech hasn't received any kit to test because it hasn't been released in the US. There is also no history of Samsung+Android devices besting Apple in battery life. That makes the device a impossible option for a temporary suggestion over the iPhone to get better battery life. The one area where one can best is the iPhone is with 3G talk time but that is because Apple is using the world-mode chip where this simply isn't as good as dedicated CDMA chips but if you need that much talk time and have so little concern for internet access I wonder if a smartphone makes any sense at all.

I guess. I'm not sure how the Super AMOLED HD Screens will affect anything. One thing I hated about my Android phones were that they drained batteries even while it was in standby considerably. Though I think it was because it was still multitasking in it's sleep...
  • Reply 62 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Do you have any email accounts configured? ICloud, Exchange any other IMAP push? If you do then your phone is not just sitting in standby mode.

I have been using an old 3GS as a second handset this week without any data services or apps running and get 3 days on a single charge. Between charges I clocked up 5.5hrs of calls.

With my 4 I get a day of use with 3 exchange accounts and iCloud.

I have my school's exchange account on my phone, as well as my iCloud, Yahoo and Gmail. Never knew that. Might turn that stuff off. But I love having my email updated constantly...
  • Reply 63 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

I guess. I'm not sure how the Super AMOLED HD Screens will affect anything. One thing I hated about my Android phones were that they drained batteries even while it was in standby considerably. Though I think it was because it was still multitasking in it's sleep...

I think the display won't be an issue due to it being PenTile. The battery size also seems to be inline with other Samsung?Android devices.

However, the LTE version supposedly has a 100mAh larger battery which I don't think will be enough to balance out the drain from LTE, but we'll see. Maybe LTE technology has finally gotten to a point to being close to '3G' chips in power efficiency (although I doubt it). When they do, I am sure we'll see that reflected in an Android-based device before we see it in an iPhone.

Google did multitasking in a way that sounds great for the future of notebooks (and perhaps tablets), but I think Apple did it the best for smartphones. maybe in a couple years less controlled multitasking will be feasible but today these devices they simply don't last long enough per charge cycle.
  • Reply 64 of 116
    Quote:

However, the LTE version supposedly has a 100mAh larger battery which I don't think will be enough to balance out the drain from LTE, but we'll see. Maybe LTE technology has finally gotten to a point to being close to '3G' chips in power efficiency (although I doubt it).

Does it have one of those next generation Qualcomm chips (the ones Apple will supposedly use for its LTE implementation), or is it the standard LTE fare we've seen already?
  • Reply 65 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does it have one of those next generation Qualcomm chips (the ones Apple will supposedly use for its LTE implementation), or is it the standard LTE fare we've seen already?

I think we have to wait for AnandTech to hyper-analyze it or for iFixit to break it down.
  • Reply 66 of 116
    Quote:

I think the display won't be an issue due to it being PenTile. The battery size also seems to be inline with other Samsung?Android devices.

However, the LTE version supposedly has a 100mAh larger battery which I don't think will be enough to balance out the drain from LTE, but we'll see. Maybe LTE technology has finally gotten to a point to being close to '3G' chips in power efficiency (although I doubt it). When they do, I am sure we'll see that reflected in an Android-based device before we see it in an iPhone.

Google did multitasking in a way that sounds great for the future of notebooks (and perhaps tablets), but I think Apple did it the best for smartphones. maybe in a couple years less controlled multitasking will be feasible but today these devices they simply don't last long enough per charge cycle.

I think I saw something on Phandroid.com about more efficent Qualcomm/LTE chips. I could be wrong though. But I don't really care about LTE unless we get Unlimlited data. Which I doubt ANY carrier (including Sprint) will be able to give us unlimted LTE.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:

There is also no history of Samsung+Android devices besting Apple in battery life. The one area where one can best is the iPhone is with 3G talk time .

. . . and WiFi Hotspot. Doesn't really matter of course. The concerns some are voicing isn't that a properly working iPhone doesn't have pretty good battery time, and generally at the top of the pile. Apparently some percentage of owners aren't hitting those Anandtech battery claim times now.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

lol you really think apple will give you options?

Apple is very good about giving people options, as long as both options were provided by Apple in the first place.
  • Reply 69 of 116
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Since the majority are experiencing battery life on par or slightly below the iPhone 4 running iOS 4 (to be expected with newer location features) with only a minority grossly affected, some other variable must be at work.

Sounds right. That minority is also why it is hard to pin down the cause of the issue. Especially when they don't go in and have the phone checked (something many on the apple.com hosted board don't do because they feel it isn't worth it until Apple has a fix).

A couple of things I have noticed from friends that did have issues. All of the folks that had trouble had restored from a backup. When they did a clean restore and install and set up as a new phone, no to much fewer problems. Also one person that still had a slight issue was using an app that had not been updated since iOS 3.0. He dumped that app and issue gone.
  • Reply 70 of 116
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisKnight View Post

Does it fix the headphone echo caused by Apple's wacky implementation of noise cancellation? Sure, the person I am talking to hears me just fine, but I don't want my noise isolating headset to pick up every little noise around me and transmit it into my headphones. That kinda defeats the purpose of 'noise isolating'. Just give us the option to turn this 'feature' off!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

lol you really think apple will give you options?

His post was better.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    Everyone seems to be reacting to specific development issues and details, which is typical.

But, if we just took a step back and looked as what is going on with the evolution of smartphones and tablets. It is no different than with laptops. Replacing single core with dual core ... adding higher performance GPU, higher resolution displays, bigger displays, more demanding services, such as 4G, notification, location, bluetooth add-ons, Voice communications and control. All these desirable features also are power demanding.

So what do we really expect. Miracles. Time to relax, let the engineering and systems folks do their magic. And in the mean time let us just shut down the power hog services we don't always need, but can turn them back on when we do. Knowing Apple when the function is demanded, then the devices will auto turn ON with software control. Takes time to develop all this.

Let's be patient. Getting rid of Carrier IQ rootkits that work in background w/o our awareness is also frustrating. Website development, monitization, and all the links that have to load and deliver is mind boggling. But, all we want to do is access the internet, share info with our friends and read the latest news, play games, and get absorbed in a video. We aren't very demaning are we? We want simple, easy, with lots of variety. WOW
  • Reply 72 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Which Android-based phone is that?

It is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - the new one running ICS.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree. Aside from the pointless double spacing, the red dot at the end seems to exist just to make it longer?

It looks better when it is centered. The negative space is for aesthetics. It's not like column inches mean anything in this medium.
  • Reply 74 of 116
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The few users who are complaining about battery life can simply go to an Apple store and get a replacement for the iPhone under warranty.

Yep and then put the same nasty junked up backup on their phones and have the same issues.

That folks can turn things on and off and see major changes to their battery shows that it is in fact software.

That folks can clean set up their phones and see major changes to their battery shows that it is in fact software.

perhaps 1% of the folks with issues have actual bad hardware.

but you are correct that going to the apple store to have the phone tested is good. Because it gives them more data to work with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

And yes, I do have Bluetooth enabled. I have Bluetooth in my car and I like the ability to just leave my phone in my pocket and go instead of having to go through multiple to steps to enable/disable Bluetooth when I'm entering/exiting the car so I just leave it enabled all the time.

And thus your phone is constantly seeking that bluetooth which means that it is never inactive. and that could be killing your battery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

This is beginning to sound like the Antennagate meme.

The term batterygate popped up weeks ago

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I have had one weird battery issue where I lost 40% overnight on "standby". This was after an update to the most recent release and, I think, it was downloading all the apps again since I had done a restore.

If it was downloading apps it wasn't on standby. It was actively working and thus using battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

My battery life has been horrible since day 1. I picked up my phone on release morning on my way from FL to Pittsburgh. I was at the football game that Sunday and my phone was dead before half time. Yes I was taking pictures and using my phone a lot but my 4 would last until coming back home after games at least.

that sounds like you bought it on Friday didn't charge it the whole trip and sometime Sunday it died while you were using it a lot. I'd say that's pretty good

Quote:

I am a heavy user I know, I use CNBC RT off an on during the day which is a battery killer as well.

so why don't you try not using the app you know will kill your phone and see what the battery life is like. You might find that the app that is looking for real time data all the time might be your problem, especially since it is still supporting 3.0 and who knows what less than ideal code could be in there affecting your battery.

Quote:

I have my school's exchange account on my phone, as well as my iCloud, Yahoo and Gmail. Never knew that. Might turn that stuff off. But I love having my email updated constantly...

But do you really need to have your email updating every few seconds. I'm betting every 15 minutes or even every hour is fine for several of those accounts
  • Reply 75 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - the new one running ICS.

What store can I go to today to give one a test drive?
  • Reply 76 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisKnight View Post

Apple is very good about giving people options, as long as both options were provided by Apple in the first place.

You can have any color as long as it is black........

*or white in some cases ,but that's not the original meme*
  • Reply 77 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bagofwater View Post

Or, it may not be a defect at all. We all know battery life varies greatly based on usage. Once I applied the iOS 5 update, I noticed a dramatic increase in my battery life (which was already better than my 2+ year old 3GS was getting). I actually had never noticed the time zone issue the software fixed on any order of significance until the most recent Daylight Savings Time transition. That night, I did not charge my phone because it had nearly 80% battery, and when I woke up 6 hours later it had drained entirely. That was the most severe case. Other times, I would "think" my battery should be lasting longer, but had no real empirical evidence to back it up. Post-update, my battery life is much improved, and blows away what I was getting with my last phone. Moderate to heavy use in a day drops me down to maybe 40-50% before I go to bed.

Which is the problem with the "some people" reports. "Some people" experience just about any problem you can imagine, for any product that's out there. And "some people" like me experience met or exceeded expectations. Unless there is some evidence that there is a common usage factor among these people, it's not really much of a story.

Just to be clear, I think you aren't aware of the severity of this problem. This is much more

Than just "gee, it seems like I'm getting less battery life.". My phone goes from fully charged to completely dead in five hours or less with NO use. Location services are completely off, notifications are off, iCloud is off. Essentially it is a dumb phone with email and that's going next. Actually, rest to factory is next.
  • Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The standby battery use seems normal. Remember it is rated 200 hours for 4S and 300 hours for 4.

If you run the math, the rate of standby discharge I see on my IP4S (70% remaining after 9 hours) equates to a standby capacity of 30 hours. The standby discharge rate on the IP4, under the same conditions, (94% remaining after 9 hours), gives a capacity of almost 150 hours. Neither is what apple quotes, but then again, does anyone really know under exactly what conditions apple rated the standby time?

I have owned every gen of the iPhone and this is the worst battery life so far. I am not one to complain, but clearly in my case, it does appear that something is amiss with my IP4S.

david
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post

Just to be clear, I think you aren't aware of the severity of this problem. This is much more

Than just "gee, it seems like I'm getting less battery life.". My phone goes from fully charged to completely dead in five hours or less with NO use. Location services are completely off, notifications are off, iCloud is off. Essentially it is a dumb phone with email and that's going next. Actually, rest to factory is next.

Wow, my 4S was on 20% when I went to bed last night, forgot to charge, and by morning it was 16%. You guys have some really bad issues on your phones there. Gotta bad batch.
  • Reply 80 of 116
    Quote:

Wow, my 4S was on 20% when I went to bed last night, forgot to charge, and by morning it was 16%. You guys have some really bad issues on your phones there. Gotta bad batch.

Sorry, forgot to mention -- this is a 4, not a 4s