Apple updates Keynote, Windows iCloud control panel

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Following a Safari browser fix on Tuesday, Apple has issued updates to its Keynote presentation software and the iCloud Control Panel for iOS device owners using Windows PCs.

Keynote Software update 5.1.1

This update is recommended for Keynote 5.1 users and addresses issues that occur when working with large Keynote presentations on OS X Lion, along with stability and accessibility improvements.

The download is 29.92MB and requires either OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later.

iCloud Control Panel for Windows 1.0.1

Released alongside a recent Safari update, the new version of Apple's iCloud Control Panel is required for Windows PC owners to setup syncing for Photo Stream, Contacts and Calendars and Bookmarks data across their iOS devices.

The update comes in at 40.03MB and users must be running Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7, with Microsoft Outlook 2007 or later and either Safari 5.1.1 or Internet Explorer 8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Still no '11 or '12 versions of iWorks? I have license to '08 version and the minor changes in '09 were not worth upgrading.; -(
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Wow, windows user using Safari? Really?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Until recently doing an iTunes update would install Safari as well, so a heck of a lot of Windows users would have Safari installed.

I'm not sure how many would actually be using it though. Probably not many.

Maybe the read it later and bookmark sync between iOS and Safari will push those numbers up though.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Until recently doing an iTunes update would install Safari as well...

It would auto-check a box but the user still had the option to not install Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would auto-check a box but the user still had the option to not install Safari.

Indeed. The iTunes updater invariably maintained the illusion of choice.

As far as I know it never hijacked the default browser settings though, so the impact outside of adding some extra bloat to the iTunes update was minimal.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I never use one. FF is enough. But on my new Macbook AIR I couldn't live without Safari. 2 fingers swipe, Reader etc. are just so awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Still no '11 or '12 versions of iWorks? I have license to '08 version and the minor changes in '09 were not worth upgrading.; -(

I know, it's very frustrating. I'm starting to think that they have given up on iWork for OSX. No news for over 3 years now. It doesn't bode well for the future. I hope I'm wrong as I really don't want to have to go back to MS Office again. We didn't even get an iLife update this year.

I really think Apple should spin off its software business into a separate company or maybe merge it with Filemaker, and just concentrate on hardware and OS, which is all they are really interested in. Then give that company the resources and the finances to continually develop and create brand new OSX software.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    so wait... iCloud works on Windows, but not on Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

so wait... iCloud works on Windows, but not on Snow Leopard?

So, wait, iCloud works on iOS 5 but not iOS 4?

It's the exact same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

With such a high percentage of their devices being eligible for iOS 5.0 they likely didn't want to invest in another series of 4.x updates with x.x.1 updates to fix bugs to add all the tie ins to iCloud.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except that iCloud work on both vista and windows 7. I wished the windows iCloud control panel would come to PowerPC as well. Why is it that it works on 2006 OS from a competing OS but not their own OS from 2007? I would really like to start using iCloud with Bento and Billings. I still don't plan on getting an Intel Mac for a while.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    I wasn't even referring to the PowerPC Macs... I wish it would work even on the 1st generation Intel Macs. But, sadly it doesn't.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I just want a iCloud webapp WITH photostream....
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Lets hope the windows iCloud update fixes things. Photo Stream was pretty much useless on windows with version 1.0