'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Two pages of comments and no one has posted re: what kind of hack this so called analyst is? He has a long but not distinguished history of BS regarding Apple. Still waiting on that 7" screen Ashok?

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/20/could-t...a-7-inch-ipad/
  • Reply 62 of 76
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I could never understand why someone would even think about getting the older phone just because it's "Free" or costs $50 less. Think about it, your paying on average near $2,000 over 24 months for the phone and service and your worried about the $200 cost for the new phone? Give me a break.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Gotta say, Samsung has an amazing roadmap: 1) See what Apple does 2) Copy Apple 3) Sue Apple for using 3g, LTE or WiFi.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BillH View Post

Two pages of comments and no one has posted re: what kind of hack this so called analyst is? He has a long but not distinguished history of BS regarding Apple. Still waiting on that 7" screen Ashok?

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/20/could-t...a-7-inch-ipad/

That analist can want a 7 incher as much as he likes - his fantasy may not come true.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing for any word currently under the mouse cursor. I can't remember it now; I've used the trackpad shortcut for so long.

Cmd-Ctrl-D
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cmd-Ctrl-D

Props, man.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Repositioning the legacy 3GS at the entry level buys Apple time, but it is a dated product with limited shelf-life," Kumar wrote.

Limited shelf life? It delivers a better user experience than 80% of the Android phones shipping today. Then again, since most Android phones last less than six months before being replaced with a new model I can understand his confusion.

Quote:

"A (purpose-built) lower end SKU is key for Apple to grow share."

Huh? This makes no sense at all. What exactly would it look like? How exactly would it fit into the ecosystem? How could you prevent fragmentation of apps and complexity for users and developers alike?

Just comments from another clueless backseat driver
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I could never understand why someone would even think about getting the older phone just because it's "Free" or costs $50 less. Think about it, your paying on average near $2,000 over 24 months for the phone and service and your worried about the $200 cost for the new phone? Give me a break.

And yet it's Android's biggest selling point...
  • Reply 69 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's the same reason why people buy cheap PC's. It's the upfront costs that many people look at.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I wish AI would stop posting stuff said by analysts who have no direct insider knowledge. In most cases it would seem like their "analyst" moniker gives them the right to make up some crazy bullshit that they actually believe. The majority of AI readers could release rumours closer to the truth than these so called professionals.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    lualua Posts: 7member
    this idiot kumar is pissing filtered water - a waste. every product manufacturing will always have component shortage.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Limited shelf life? It delivers a better user experience than 80% of the Android phones shipping today. Then again, since most Android phones last less than six months before being replaced with a new model I can understand his confusion.

Huh? This makes no sense at all. What exactly would it look like? How exactly would it fit into the ecosystem? How could you prevent fragmentation of apps and complexity for users and developers alike?

Just comments from another clueless backseat driver

Well, no. If Apple can do what it's doing now, then they'll be ok. But they do need to replace old phones after a while. Are you suggesting the 3GS stay around another year after this?

The problem is that apps and games must work on the older devices, limiting what they can do on the newer ones. It's not likely that the 3GS will accept iOS 6, or that if it does, whether it will get enough new features for people to care. If that happens in the late summer, it will be a bomb.

I would think that the cost of the old hardware is depreciated enough so that it costs Apple a lot less to make than it did. Surely the old screen must. But it's a not very good screen these days. It must be replaced

My wife and daughter still have 3G's. My daughter has a 3GS for school in London. Neither wanted to upgrade last year when I bought a 4, moving from my 3G.

The performance of the 3GS when compared to my 4 was, well, sluggish. Now I have a 4S, and they will get them in December when my daughter gets home from school. Compared to my 4S, my old 4 is, well, sluggish. Comparing the 3GS to my 4S will have to wait until the 10th when my daughter gets home, but how well do you think it will do? Not very well at all.

It's both kudo's to Apple that the 3GS has still been selling so well, and a Bronx cheer to other manufacturers and OS's that it is as well. But something's got to give, as they say. Other phones will be 3 years newer in a few months, and no matter how good the 3GS might be, it's falling well behind.

I don't see why Apple couldn't come out with a newer model based on the same basic case, which costs less than the one for the 4 series, but with a newer SoC, to better match current performance. A slightly better screen is needed as well. If Apple can do that for slightly lower margins, then it would sell even better than the 3GS.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wish AI would stop posting stuff said by analysts who have no direct insider knowledge. In most cases it would seem like their "analyst" moniker gives them the right to make up some crazy bullshit that they actually believe. The majority of AI readers could release rumours closer to the truth than these so called professionals.

These reports are quoted all over the web. It's fine that they be quoted here as well. It does engender discussion, which is what's intended.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The problem is that apps and games must work on the older devices, limiting what they can do on the newer ones. It's not likely that the 3GS will accept iOS 6, or that if it does, whether it will get enough new features for people to care. If that happens in the late summer, it will be a bomb.

How does a "purpose" built low end device solve this?

Quote:

I would think that the cost of the old hardware is depreciated enough so that it costs Apple a lot less to make than it did. Surely the old screen must. But it's a not very good screen these days. It must be replaced

Have you seen the majority of Android phones shipping today? The 3GS is still heads and shoulders above the shovelware...

Quote:

The performance of the 3GS when compared to my 4 was, well, sluggish. Now I have a 4S, and they will get them in December when my daughter gets home from school. Compared to my 4S, my old 4 is, well, sluggish. Comparing the 3GS to my 4S will have to wait until the 10th when my daughter gets home, but how well do you think it will do? Not very well at all.

Sure, but for those who are short sighted and cost conscious, a sluggish iPhone is better than none at all.

Or a sluggish Android phone

Quote:

It's both kudo's to Apple that the 3GS has still been selling so well, and a Bronx cheer to other manufacturers and OS's that it is as well. But something's got to give, as they say. Other phones will be 3 years newer in a few months, and no matter how good the 3GS might be, it's falling well behind.

Falling behind what? Feature checklist compliance or in usability?

Quote:

I don't see why Apple couldn't come out with a newer model based on the same basic case, which costs less than the one for the 4 series, but with a newer SoC, to better match current performance. A slightly better screen is needed as well. If Apple can do that for slightly lower margins, then it would sell even better than the 3GS.

It would be far cheaper for them to replace the 3GS with the 4 next year. Which is exactly what I expect them to do. Why go through the expense and resources to develop a whole new phone when they have a fully amortized and still highly desired device just sitting there?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And right in the midst of several reports that the 4S is in short supply with long wait times comes word that 7 new countries will receive retail stock within two weeks.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=137324

Once again, with a few million likely available to additional markets, is there any true shortage of 4S smartphones or is it simply the well-planned perception of one?
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And right in the midst of several reports that the 4S is in short supply with long wait times comes word that 7 new countries will receive retail stock within two weeks.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=137324

Once again, with a few million likely available to additional markets, is there any true shortage of 4S smartphones or is it simply the well-planned perception of one?

Yeah, this really makes me think. If you don't have phones, you don't have phone.