iPhone battery woes persist with Apple's first iOS 5.1 beta

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And thus your phone is constantly seeking that bluetooth which means that it is never inactive. and that could be killing your battery

As I stated before, this is my same usage model as with my iPhone 4. With Bluetooth always enabled, I got far better battery life with the iPhone 4 than my iPhone 4S.

And even when I disable Bluetooth, the battery meter still drops like a rock, so I said "f**k it" and just left Bluetooth enabled. No need to be inconvenienced if the battery is gonna drain anyway.
  • Reply 82 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post

Sorry, forgot to mention -- this is a 4, not a 4s

Oh. Then there's a problem. I thought it was just 4S.
  • Reply 83 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wayner8088 View Post

My battery problems began after installing iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. The battery drain was substantial, even in sleep mode I would wake the phone and the battery would drain by more than 10% in less than 15 minutes! No activity!

One solution that worked was simply turning off 3G. But in my line of work that defies the purpose of owning this phone. As a field technician I'm constantly tethered to the phone's 3G network. On 4.3.5 this posed no problem. But now that I'm completely immersed with iCloud, downgrading just isn't an option. I'm currently running 5.0.1.

Any other temporary suggestions?

I'd suggest 3 steps. Each one is hopefully all you need to resolve the problem:

1. Reboot the phone.

2. Restore the phone using iTunes (make sure you have backed it up)

3. Make appointment at Apple Store Genius Bar and explain the issue (they may do the above or ask if you have tried the above steps)

Not sure what else to suggest, as I am using the iPhone 4 with 4.3.5 (and plan to keep it that way until Apple sorts it out). But try those steps and let us know if they help.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What store can I go to today to give one a test drive?

Woz's house?
  • Reply 85 of 116
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Do you have any email accounts configured? ICloud, Exchange any other IMAP push? If you do then your phone is not just sitting in standby mode.

I have been using an old 3GS as a second handset this week without any data services or apps running and get 3 days on a single charge. Between charges I clocked up 5.5hrs of calls.

With my 4 I get a day of use with 3 exchange accounts and iCloud.

That shouldn't be a problem since all email accounts are running as a single process. Beside, if you do the math (6% per hours of standby) you will see that the iPhone standby time will come to less than 17 hours. I personally have similar problem but my battery last a little longer at 30 to 36 of standby time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As I stated before, this is my same usage model as with my iPhone 4. With Bluetooth always enabled, I got far better battery life with the iPhone 4 than my iPhone 4S.

And even when I disable Bluetooth, the battery meter still drops like a rock, so I said "f**k it" and just left Bluetooth enabled. No need to be inconvenienced if the battery is gonna drain anyway.

No matter how many times you try to explain people will always blame you (the user). Regardless of your notifications and push email settings, 36 hours standby time is not right. This is less than 20% of the advertised standby time.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

I have the luxury of comparing identically configured IP4 vs IP4S. Both 32GB models, exactly the same apps loaded, same settings, same location, same Airport Extreme (actually ran the test at sisters home over Thanksgiving with same results, so actually two different Airport Extremes). I have diagnostic & usage reporting, Location based iAds, and time zone setting disabled on both. For the test, I also killed all apps other than DataMan and phone. iCloud backup was activated on both devices. WIth both devices fully charged, setting side by side overnight (roughly 9 hours), the IP4S discharged approx 25% MORE than the IP4 (IP4 was at 94%, IP4S down to 70%). DataMan reports the WiFi traffic as identical (within a couple of kilobytes) for the test period, with virtually no 3G activity over the test period (about 20KB on each).

The only other difference was that I had the raise to active feature on Siri active on the IP4S, so I need to rerun the test with that deactivated to see if the results are dramatically different.

I have also noticed that the IP4S discharge rate is all over the place in real use. Sometimes, it goes for several hours with only a few % of discharge and other times, it can drop 10-15% in a matter of an hour or so. In typical daily usage, my IP4S will not make it through a complete day on a single charge unless the usage is minimal, while my spouse, who texts, takes lots of pics (work) and emails those pics in medium size (again work), runs a variety of apps and talks, virtually always makes it thru a typical 12hour day with no problem.

There is definitely something amiss here.

BTW, both iPhones are running 5.0.1 (9A405). As a matter of habit, I did a hard reboot on both after the upgrade to 5.0.1.

David

That's great - please keep us informed.

All the best.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Woz's house?

Good ol Woz - he'd let you in too!

(You're not an axe murderer right? )
  • Reply 88 of 116
    I have a 4 running iOS 5.1 beta 1 and have been getting the best battery life I ever have on the phone. I was on 3G in 1-2 bars of coverage with 8 min use and 2:00 standby at 100% and usually get a full day of heavy use out of it. I can't imagine the public release of 5.1 being any better or my head might explode
  • Reply 89 of 116
    I have bought Mac Pros, MacBook Pros, Minis, Airports, and four iPhones from Apple and have been completely happy with each and every purchase. Then I bought my 64GB iPhone 4S on November 21, running 5.0.1. I have NEVER been as frustrated with an Apple product as this phone. As far as I know it's not the phone, but IOS 5, 5.0.1, etc that's the problem. The damn thing goes from 100% battery charge to 0% and automatic shut down in less than 12 hours - 12-15 minutes of phone calls in total and 12-15 email messages read. That's all!!

Have reset the device, turned off all location services, and killed Siri (it's not that useful in Canada). No improvement. It's not just "a few remaining issues". This device is going back to Apple. It's not m-iPhone any longer. Going back to my old iPhone 4 which was great before 5.0 and now at least lasts a day on a charge.

Its a poor sign that this was the first post Steve Jobs Apple release. Sure hope it is not fortelling of the future of Apple with his critical eye no longer watching. Sad. Steve's questioning words about the poor performance of MobileMe seem to apply here to IOS 5 as well.

Not good on you Apple. This is an embarrassment. Hope the expansion of this phone to other countries doesn't compound the problem.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I hope that Apple can work something out. I have an iPhone 4s and battery life is atrocious. I can have a fully charged iPhone, take it off the charger, and it will drop 1% within a few minutes just sitting there on the table doing nothing.

I could also just be browsing the internet at home via Wi-Fi (that's all, just checking a few sites) and see my battery drop from 80% to 70% in about 15 minutes or so. It's very frustrating to say the least.

And yes, I do have Bluetooth enabled. I have Bluetooth in my car and I like the ability to just leave my phone in my pocket and go instead of having to go through multiple to steps to enable/disable Bluetooth when I'm entering/exiting the car so I just leave it enabled all the time.

That being said, my iPhone 4 exhibited NONE of the battery problems that my iPhone 4S has and I have the same usage patterns. I would run my iPhone 4 down to about 50% after a day's work. With the iPhone 4S, I'm down to 20% and sometimes 10% by the end of the day.

DITTO....cant wait till this is fixed...was supposed to be this week...as it was supposed to be last week..........[btw I have gotten 2 replacement iPhones in 2 weeks...same prob.--Apple told me that they are not going to give me another one!]
  • Reply 91 of 116
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't do much laughing. And come off it with the hyperbole nonsense.

No. He wasn't.

As a global moderator, start with your own attitude and let the guy have his say.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

As a global moderator, start with your own attitude and let the guy have his say.

I love how everyone seems to think that's? Forget it.

He had his say. He posited an opinion and I dismissed it as foolish. If he has more to say (such as a rundown of the power draw of each iPhone component), that's something awesome and we can pick up the discussion from there. As it stands, a single infrared LED being on ALL of the time instead of SOME of the time couldn't possibly be the reason for the battery draining. It's not common sense, sure, but it becomes a foolish suggestion when you know the average power drawn by LEDs and know a little more about the size and scope of Apple's specific ones.
  • Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The few users who are complaining about battery life can simply go to an Apple store and get a replacement for the iPhone under warranty.

Nearly everyone else is NOT having battery problems on the iPhone.

Thus, this must be a HARDWARE defect in a few iPhones.

The solution is to simply get a new iPhone under warranty.

I got mine replaced and did a fresh install - still have the prob
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Quote:

I love how everyone seems to think that's? Forget it.

He had his say. He posited an opinion and I dismissed it as foolish. If he has more to say (such as a rundown of the power draw of each iPhone component), that's something awesome and we can pick up the discussion from there. As it stands, a single infrared LED being on ALL of the time instead of SOME of the time couldn't possibly be the reason for the battery draining. It's not common sense, sure, but it becomes a foolish suggestion when you know the average power drawn by LEDs and know a little more about the size and scope of Apple's specific ones.

You dismissed it as one of the silliest things you had ever heard, not just foolish. And as you don't work for Apple his suggestion is just as valid as anyone else's. Though he probably does have a life and doesn't obsess about insulting those who don't spend it studying up on the power consumed by an iPhone LED so I will give you that much.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    Quote:

Though he probably does have a life and doesn't obsess about insulting those who don't spend it studying up on the power consumed by an iPhone LED so I will give you that much.

That's completely unwarranted, meaningless, and utterly wrong, but I won't do anything about it (provided you just drop this now) because of how humorous I found it.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    Quote:

That's completely unwarranted, meaningless, and utterly wrong, but I won't do anything about it (provided you just drop this now) because of how humorous I found it.

Go ahead and do it. Don't let me stop you! But I too have a life and am off to live it now.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    Quote:

Go ahead and do it. Don't let me stop you! But I too have a life and am off to live it now.

But if you're breathing as you're typing, are you not alive?
  • Reply 98 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

That's great - please keep us informed.

All the best.

Today, I took my IP4S into one of our local Apple Stores to see what they thought. They agreed that the battery life I was seeing was NOT normal. I had unplugged my IP4S this morning at 7:30 and by the time I got to talk to a Genius a bit before noon, it was down to 53%. I had not been doing anything other than a few short phone calls and the raise to talk feature on Siri was disabled along with all the things I detailed in my previous post.

Right up front, he offered me the option of replacing the battery or the entire phone. He also ran a diagnostic on the phone and the battery clearly showed an anomaly as it was reporting identical standby and run time estimates of just over 4 hours (as the guy stated, "clearly, something wrong").

As I had little to loose and really wanted to know if it was the battery or the phone itself, I opted for the battery replacement. I think the guy also shared my curiosity as to which was the culprit. Took all of 10 minutes and I was on my way. He told me to run the new battery completely down and then recharge. It was at 61% when he handed it to me. It took less than 6 hours for the battery to deplete, so this does NOT look good.

But in all fairness, I am going to let it charge completely up and give it a good field test. The guy that helped me told me to not hesitate to bring it back if the new battery did not deliver vastly improved life. I fear that I will be returning to the Apple Store sooner than I wished.

Tomorrow should tell me all I need to know.

david
  • Reply 99 of 116
    all of these messages saying there are no issues with the battery in the 4S dont hold water with me. I had a 4S for one week, had a loss of 40 % PER HOUR, with just being on twitter. thats right, 2 1/2 hours of time. and yes, everything turned off - bluetooth, brightness, location, push and fetch mail, etc. yes, i tried re setting, everything that everyone talks about.

i returned the phone to the apple store. they gave me a new 4S. they advised to set up the phone as a new, not back up from cloud or itunes. they advised NOT to upgrade to 5.01 bug fix. they advised to load selective apps only. i did this exactly, ended up loading 30 or 80 apps i had on i tunes. i was hopeful. Not discernable difference. I lose 20-25% battery life PER HOUR still. obviously this is not a firmware issue, but an IOS issue.

I have posted on apple community support boards - along with over 6,000 others. APPLE is no where to be found, they do not reply, do not issue press releases, nothing. they are no where to be found. this is AWFUL. i am about to return the 4S and go back to my old 4 until a year from now when the 5 comes out.

with so many complaining, how can apple keep its head in the sand? how can they just ignore all of these problems?????
  • Reply 100 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidiblackman View Post

obviously this is not a firmware issue, but an IOS issue.

What's your reasoning behind that?