Apple offered alternative designs for Galaxy Tab to protect patents

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Well, Apple didn't invemt the tablet, but they did invent the tablet market.

I've also come to realize, that you must live in your own "special" little world.

As long as said 'world' is nowhere near your twisted, delusional little Mac.World... I'm quite happy.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple is being ridiculous. There are plenty vendors with original smartphones and tablet designs that have every single one of those features. Of course Samsung isn't even close to being one of those vendors.

Good call. I put on my tinfoil hat for a moment and think that MAYBE, just MAYBE, Apple is making a joke to counter the Samsung: "iPhone purchasers are stupid" commercials. Clearly no one is serious about Apple design submissions.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As long as said 'world' is nowhere near your twisted, delusional little Mac.World... I'm quite happy.

He happens to be right.

There was nothing like the iPad available before it was released.

Companies had been releasing tablets for many years, and virtually nobody bought them, because they all sucked due to a whole multitude of reasons. They were making them wrong, they were clueless as to how a tablet should be and what should be on it. The public wasn't interested in that crap and they didn't buy them. Apple basically ushered in the whole modern tablet era with the iPad. It changed everything, and left the competitors scrambling to come up with their own tablets, all of which have failed miserably so far.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Exactly, DaHarder! Samsung could have cloned one of those other designs that nobody would mistake for Apple?s product... or even come up with their own, so we?d have more real choice and competition! Instead, Samsung copied, right down to numerous small details, which were no accident and not ?inevitable."

Forget those hypotheticals and that list of vague ?elements"... there have been tons of other companies' tablet designs that look different from the iPad (to say nothing of Samsung?s cloned Apple packaging, charger design, ?smart cover?/colors, cable-ends, etc. etc.):

Excellent post! I don't understand why people don't get it. It's not that Apple is trying to stop others from entering the tablet market. It's just that they're unwilling to stand by and have other companies steal their designs. Good for them. Apple's lawsuits will force these wanna-bes to create new designs and actually compete which is what people bitching about Apple claim they want.

BTW, I'd add one more image to your list of tablet-makers who have entered the market without slavishly copying Apple's every move: Sony's S1 and S2.

• Reply 65 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Not sure what you're getting at. The other tablets in the picture are thick, have square edges, have a cluttered appearance, front surfaces that aren't flat and several of them aren't black. The only thing they all have in common is that they're essentially rectangular. Some of them have protrusions, though, so not quite.

Yeah, I wonder what an iPad using 2003-2007 manufactoring processes would look like...

edit:

Once you remove those technical aspects of the patent, there isn't much left for apple to defend here :>
  • Reply 66 of 136
    Quote:

Let's face facts here...the chances of someone walking into an electronics store, and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product/iPad 2 are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the devices are all clearly labeled SAMSUNG on their surfaces, start-up screens, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Actions such as these by Apple should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise, and very little more.

I'm obviously not being clear here. I'm not trying to suggest that anyone would walk into a store, slap down some hundreds of dollars and walk out with a Samsung tab thinking it was an iPad. Of course that would be ridiculous. However, what I believe is more than just possible is that someone could do this in the mistaken belief that the Samsung Tab is the same as the iPad. To the uninformed purchaser if it looks like it and feels like it and costs about as much then it must be the same.

What other reason would any company have for copying the appearance of another company's market leading product? As has been said elsewhere, there are enough companies producing innovative designs to demonstrate that nothing about the iPad is inevitable. That none of those designs has been found to be compelling by the buying public suggests to me that it is not just about the device - but that could just be me.
  • Reply 67 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgriner View Post

so lets see..... apple patented the color black, rectangular shapes, rounded corners, flat screens, and bezel size, and thin stuff...... what a joke lol

sounds like apple is afraid of Samsung.

• Reply 68 of 136
    Quote:

Maybe Apple should have considered the same 'design alternatives' before they used each of those design elements AFTER numerous others manufactures had be using them for years?

Interesting how the iPad does not resemble any of these unless of course you are just a troll
  • Reply 69 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Happens every time. Apple invents. Then the "me too group" rush a similar product to market with features Apple left out in the first generation.

yep. all the cloners like Samesung, Google, and Microsoft just steal from Apple. Now that the justice system allows it, there is nothing to stop them. So it does not make sense for APple to innovate anymore if everyone can legally rip them off.
  • Reply 70 of 136
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Samsung | sam-sung |

noun

1 Name of a corporation typically known to have no shame or honour

2 Corporation that copies, shamelessly defending that copying to further its own ends
  • Reply 71 of 136
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    So, Ford makes a good, cheap, on the surface replica of a Ferrari, sells it at half the price.

Wrong? Or right?

These beliefs that somehow Samsung isn't copying Apple to sell more product is so daft as to make one laugh.
  • Reply 72 of 136
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Apple also added these to the list possible design changes Samsung could make:

-Make it 100 ft. wide

-Attach pom-poms to the front of the screen

-Put Hulk Hogans mustache on it

-Make it smell like Zebra feces
  • Reply 73 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simpleankit View Post

Well US Judge did not fall for these.

She has denied Apple's request for injunction, another win for Samsung

You might want to read the decision. The judge didn't rule on the merits. She denied the injunction because Apple couldn't show irreparable harm. That's a reasonable position given that Samsung has billions of dollars that could be recovered by Apple if Apple wins.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple must think their customers are extremely stupid.

How many people would buy a Galaxy because they mistook it for an iPad,

Samsung's attorney, for one.

Quote:

Let's face facts here...the chances of someone walking into an electronics store, and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product/iPad 2 are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the devices are all clearly labeled SAMSUNG on their surfaces, start-up screens, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Look at Samsung's packaging. Look at the iTab. Heck, look at the Tab charger. They're clearly made to be as close to Apple's iPad as possible with the clear intent to deceive.

You can't make a near exact copy of a Rolex watch and then claim that you're not infringing because you wrote 'Rulex' rather than 'Rolex' on the face of the watch. That's essentially what Samsung is doing. Making a slavish copy and then saying that they should be able to get it because it's from Samsung rather than Apple.

Quote:

Actions such as these by Apple should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise, and very little more.

Posts such as yours should be seen for exactly what they are - proof that you have no idea what competition or intellectual property are.
  • Reply 74 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No. Apple's design patent is for a device that has ALL of those features. Please show a previous device that had ALL of those features. (Hint: you can't). All Samsung had to do was change one of the items and they'd have been OK. Look at the photos above for a few examples of how it was possible to design a product without infringing Apple's design. Instead, Samsung made a near-identical product -- so close that their own attorney couldn't tell the difference.

my tv is, thin, black, rectangular, it has rounded corners, a flat screen and is bezel. All in one device, how come did they not sue my tv company. because they arnt afraid of them.

android devices own 46% of the market. They are expected to over take apple this year, this scares apple, so they are attempting to take out the largest manufacturer of android devices, because they are SCARED of them.
  • Reply 75 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

my tv is, thin, black, rectangular, it has rounded corners, a flat screen and is bezel. All in one device, how come did they not sue my tv company. because they arnt afraid of them.

Your TV doesn't infringe Apple's design patent - which is why Apple hasn't sued them. Please read all the things that must be included for something to infringe Apple's design patent - many of which are not on your TV. Plus, of course, the fact that your TV is not a tablet computer.

Quote:

android devices own 46% of the market. They are expected to over take apple this year, this scares apple, so they are attempting to take out the largest manufacturer of android devices, because they are SCARED of them.

And Apple makes more money than the rest of the industry put together. Why would Apple be scared?

If someone steals my car and I report it to the police, does that mean I'm scared? Obviously not. I'm simply protecting my property. Apple is doing the same thing.
  • Reply 76 of 136
    All I know is, I picked up a Galaxy Player the other day and it was a dead ringer for my old iPhone 3G.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/...y-player-5.jpg
  • Reply 77 of 136
    Quote:

Your TV doesn't infringe Apple's design patent - which is why Apple hasn't sued them. Please read all the things that must be included for something to infringe Apple's design patent - many of which are not on your TV. Plus, of course, the fact that your TV is not a tablet computer.

And Apple makes more money than the rest of the industry put together. Why would Apple be scared?

If someone steals my car and I report it to the police, does that mean I'm scared? Obviously not. I'm simply protecting my property. Apple is doing the same thing.

did you even read my last post MY TV HAS ALL THAT CRAP. so if apple thinks they have the right to, black,rounded corners, beveling, and flat screens...ect then my tv DOES infringe on that.

they DONT make more than the rest of the industry put together.

Quote:

well i would say if samsung broke into the apple store and stole an ipod2 then they should give it back. lol

coke, pepsi, rc cola... ect

ford, chevy, toyota... ect

how many different companys makes blue jeans or shirts for that matter. you dont see them sueing each other because their blue jeans are blue do you. or suing for pockets in t-shirts

you dont see ford sueing chevy because they put a motor in their car?

this apple argument is the most ridiculous load of crap there is
  • Reply 78 of 136
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

so lets see..... apple patented the color black, rectangular shapes, rounded corners, flat screens, and bezel size, and thin stuff...... what a joke lol

sounds like apple is afraid of Samsung.

Have you ever heard of the company Rave? They make the water trampolines and rafts. They're basically round inflatable trampolines that alternate blue and yellow colors.

You can't legally make a round inflatable trampoline that alternates the colors blue and yellow. Rave owns trade dress.

...but, but, you can't patent the color blue! You can't patent a circle!

No, you can't, not in the conventional way. But you can certainly protect the look and feel of your product, based on a collection of features. It prevents consumer confusion and stops competitors from riding the leader's coattails.
  • Reply 79 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

. It prevents consumer confusion.........

are you saying that apple users are so stupid they might get confused and buy a samsung on accident?
  • Reply 80 of 136
    Quote:

Maybe Apple should have considered the same 'design alternatives' before they used each of those design elements AFTER numerous others manufactures had be using them for years?

Those looks nothing like the iPad. If Samsung made a tablet that looked like that, I doubt Apple would have a problem with it.

Let's see... they're cluttered, have varying bezel sizes, aren't perfect rectangles (they have uneven edges), not all are black, etc.