Inside iPhone 4S US mobile data: AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    You do know Apple went to Verizon when the iPhone was first introduced?

When Verizon turned them down they went exclusively to AT&T. Years later now apple finding it needs to be more competitive in the phone market has branched to various providers.

Anyway the point of all this is back when the iPhone first came out they went to Verizon first. You saying apple had it wrong? Why would Apple choose Verizon first? Could it be because of the service coverage?

Apple picked Verizon first! So are yah saying Apple or better yet Steve Jobs got it wrong?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...denberg-iphone

First bullet point.
  • Reply 42 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obxwebdesigner View Post

When Verizon turned them down they went exclusively to AT&T. Years later now apple finding it needs to be more competitive in the phone market has branched to various providers.

Anyway the point of all this is back when the iPhone first came out they went to Verizon first. You saying apple had it wrong? Why would Apple choose Verizon first? Could it be because of the service coverage?

Apple picked Verizon first! So are yah saying Apple or better yet Steve Jobs got it wrong?

First bullet point.

I have been waiting patiently for you to address my points. But I'll give you a hint about this post you've now trollishly made twice: That was a Verizon exec, not an Apple exec, which means it's just speculation and even if Apple told them that it doesn't mean it's true as you can lie in negotiations to better your position, but you have to be honest when it comes to writing up a deal.

I'll come at your silly point another way to make you cry yourself asleep tonight after you answer my previous queries. I doubt you'll answer them which my way of saving you from soggy pillow this evening.
  • Reply 43 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

People are still playing the coverage card? Let's be clear that for many years Verizon and Sprint's '3G' map coverage included CDMA2000 1X with real world speeds of 60?100 Kbps which is slower than GSM '2G' EDGE speeds. While there are plenty of places AT&T and T-Mobile suffer there are places where Verizon and Sprint suffer, too.

There is no single solution for everyone in the US so saying Just pick Verizon when the coverage, dropped called, cost, and, most importantly to me, data speeds don't reflect Verizon as the best choice is myopic.

This. I would argue that CDMA 1X speeds are unusable on a modern device. I swear my Android phone just gives up with 1X when I try to perform a simple Google search. It's incredibly slow.

I like GSM and the HSPA+ standard as they give you the fastest data for 3G and 2G, and then of course LTE being the standard of the future.

However I'm a really really budget user, so I'm with the Sprint network on Virgin Mobile. Yaay it's cheap and works mostly.
  • Reply 44 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

This. I would argue that CDMA 1X speeds are unusable on a modern device. I swear my Android phone just gives up with 1X when I try to perform a simple Google search. It's incredibly slow.

I like GSM and the HSPA+ standard as they give you the fastest data for 3G and 2G, and then of course LTE being the standard of the future.

However I'm a really really budget user, so I'm with the Sprint network on Virgin Mobile. Yaay it's cheap and works mostly.

I don't think Verizon has had any 1x or 1xRTT for a couple years but EV-DO Rev. 0 may exist. I'm not sure about Sprint. I was never able to get a good handle on their '3G' coverage. I'd hope it's at least Rev. 0 but that's not really saying much.
  • Reply 45 of 116
    Quote:

First bullet point.

Basically the iPhone was the innovator in excluding the provider from the phone experience, something that I'm most grateful for. You really can't underestimate the way the iPhone changed everyone's lives just by saying no to carriers' bad software. I think it's honestly one of the best things any company has done for the general public. Yeah, it's that awesome to me.

The funny thing is that it sparked the consumer smartphone revolution, something that enables the cell phone carriers to make much more subscription money per customer. Ironically it was the cell phone carriers themselves who were resisting this revolution by forcing cell phone companies to use just plain bad software and limit consumer freedom.

Now at least these companies realize that if you want to maximize profits, you give consumers freedom, but you charge them for it with a nice big data plan bill each month
  • Reply 46 of 116
    Quote:

I don't think Verizon has had any 1x or 1xRTT for a couple years but EV-DO Rev. 0 may exist. I'm not sure about Sprint. I was never able to get a good handle on their '3G' coverage. I'd hope it's at least Rev. 0 but that's not really saying much.

On my Virgin Mobile phone (sprint network) I do get 1X coverage in some places, and like I said, it's basically unusable. It delivers my emails and push notifications and that's about it.

I don't know what VZW rolls with, but my VZW ghetto candy bar phone always says 1X on it (yeah I have two phones for some reason).
  • Reply 47 of 116
    Quote:

On my Virgin Mobile phone (sprint network) I do get 1X coverage in some places, and like I said, it's basically unusable. It delivers my emails and push notifications and that's about it.

I don't know what VZW rolls with, but my VZW ghetto candy bar phone always says 1X on it (yeah I have two phones for some reason).

i just found this page which backs up your comments.

edit: Just discovered about Verizon, which also backs up your comments. They do still have 1x.It's interesting they now break out 1x from 3G on their map. I'm not sure if they are including 1xRTT with their 1x. I guess they count EV-DO Rev.0 as '3G'. It's good for them we don't rate the generation by the data speed of the technology or they'd be screwed.
  • Reply 48 of 116
    Quote:

I have been waiting patiently for you to address my points. But I'll give you a hint about this post you've now trollishly made twice: That was a Verizon exec, not an Apple exec, which means it's just speculation and even if Apple told them that it doesn't mean it's true as you can lie in negotiations to better your position, but you have to be honest when it comes to writing up a deal.

I'll come at your silly point another way to make you cry yourself asleep tonight after you answer my previous queries. I doubt you'll answer them which my way of saving you from soggy pillow this evening.

So your saying that Steve lied about going to Verizon? Your full of it. Really.

Yeah sure he lied about it and said the media "hey we want to market our phones at a set price and have a minimum data plan" Verison says no...

What kind of bargaining chip do they hold for AT&T when that is what HAPPENED with them. It was the SAME PROPOSAL!! It doesn't make sense to say well just make up a lie about a meeting so AT&T will just agree.

Why go through such a charade when it sounds more probable that it ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Keep looping it around with your "conspiracy theories" while I keep shoving real information down your throat.
  • Reply 49 of 116
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    Download the Coverage Map app from the App Store to get a better picture of the four major carriers' coverage for voice and data (at a per-cell granularity). Even better run the tests using that app to contribute to their reports.

Not associated with the app in any way except that it's been a useful tool for crowdsourcing actual carrier performance which goes far beyond the limited tests we typically see in articles like this.
  • Reply 50 of 116
    Quote:

1) Saying that everyone should use Verizon because it's the only one with coverage is not the same as an individual saying one carrier has more or less coverage for the area they use their phone. If there are multiple carriers in an area that are fine (which is what most people experience) then usage types and plan rates need to be considered.

2) Your experiences doesn't sound like a coverage issue. The higher spectrum not penetrating buildings, HW setups for capacity loads, or even a faulty equipment in your hands could account for all your issues. That isn't to say AT&T is the best option for you but what you've stated don't not reflect any lack of coverage unless you are referring to dropping to GSM '2G' or even No Service?both of which is not something I've not experienced in LA or Orange counties.

I'm not saying everyone should do one thing or the other, how would I even control that? I'm saying that the overall user experience on Verizon in LA is better because it's more reliable. To say that doesn't mesh with your LA experience is likely BS because I know a lot of people here with AT&T iPhones and they constantly struggle for service on 3G or edge. If att edge worked like verizon's "o" then AT&T would be better because edge is faster, but it fails constantly on both 3G and edge and drops calls or you get 1 useless bar that won't hold a call or get online.

Every time some AT&T cheerleader starts going on they talk about hardware issues and buildings and such. I had a 3G and a 3GS on AT&T and they both sucked on calls and Internet was unreliable. I got the 4 on Verizon and in the same places AT&T sucked it performs. True "o" mode is slower than edge, but it works pretty much all the time, and you dont see it that much anyway when edge was a regular occurrence. People don't live in labs like cell phone engineers, they work in buildings and some live by mountains, and many talk while in the car on headsets. Verizon works in real life, AT&T needs a better network. I hope they work out something with TMobile where they share towers but don't merge. Until att improves, Verizon's got me. I'm done, later.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    ...and it works great. True, my download speeds average just under 1Mbps, but I'm never without coverage, I have unlimited everything, and it's the cheapest by about $25/month.

The advantage of unlimited is that I keep my iPhone4s available with tethering over Bluetooth all the time, and use it for Internet everywhere with my Air, iPad 3G and MacBook Pro. While the iPad 3G is faster (with AT&T), I find that I'm out of service about 40% of the time. I text, download podcasts, stream Pandora, check e-mail and never even think about how much data I'm using. Turns out that I'm running around 25GB/month. My workplace doesn't allow personal devices on the network, so I do all my communications during the day over my tethered MacBook Air.

Also, call quality with Sprint is awesome. It really is crystal clear.

I'm giving serious thought to canceling my iPad's grandfathered AT&T unlimited 3G service at $30/month since I barely use it nowadays.
  • Reply 52 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kianabc View Post

I registered just to post this comment because I think the "conclusion" of this article is a bit unfair. Yes, this article tested the iPhone on all three networks, but when you read it, it makes you think that AT&T is the fastest network and Verizon sucks. That's only because the iPhone 4S is a 3G device, not 4G. I am a iPhone 4S user and overal a big Apple fan. I love my AT&T network so far because it works well in my hometown; however, I just recently bought a Verizon MiFi mobile hotspot and, boy, that thing is blazing fast! I get downloads in the range of 7-9 mbps, consistently. I travel all over the US, and so far it's been that fast every where I go, with an exception of Marriott hotels.

For some reason neither my iPhone 4S and my Verizon MiFi work at the hotel. I swear Marriott messed with the 3G/4G networks, so you're forced to buy their Internet. I get full bars and can make/receive phone calls, but no data. Weird.

Anyway... The Verizon 4G network is super fast. I have no experience with Sprint's 4G network, so I cannot comment on that.

look at the pic, att upload is faster than verizon and sprint download combined.
  • Reply 53 of 116
    Quote:

Now at least these companies realize that if you want to maximize profits, you give consumers freedom, but you charge them for it with a nice big data plan bill each month

When you say "these companies" your referring to cell carriers right? Apple decided who will carry their phone.

Back in 2007 when they decided to go with one crap carrier (AT&T) after the Verizon fall out. Now with the Drioid and HTC have had time to copy Apple's ground breaking software and touch screen and half-azz replicate it. In order to stay above the curve and market Apple they made a good move in allowing multiple carriers to provide the iPhone.
  • Reply 54 of 116
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Immagine a Turd. Now try and blow that turd down the street with a small leaf blower. Now imagine that turd representing Sprint. You now have a good example of how to move data with something that is made to be rotten in the beginning.

Sprint = turd.

Why would you want to pay lots of money for a iPhone and unlimited data plan when all you are gonna get is a turd of a deal.
  • Reply 55 of 116
    Quote:

96 percent of the Fortune 1000 and thousands of government agencies and educational institutions - rely on our professional and managed services and network technologies to accelerate their business.

http://www.evanta.com/events/213/sponsors

If 96 percent of the top businesses choose Verizon... I think that's a good enough reason. Here is your data! Don't take MY "individual" .... response!

If I'm wrong the 96 percent of the top businesses must be wrong about coverage beating out speed too huh??

Bam! Bazinga!

You're making a critical assumption....that these Fortune 1000 only use one carrier...which is not the case
  • Reply 56 of 116
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

96 percent of the Fortune 1000 and thousands of government agencies and educational institutions - rely on our professional and managed services and network technologies to accelerate their business.

http://www.evanta.com/events/213/sponsors

If 96 percent of the top businesses choose Verizon... I think that's a good enough reason. Here is your data! Don't take MY "individual" .... response!

If I'm wrong the 96 percent of the top businesses must be wrong about coverage beating out speed too huh??

Bam! Bazinga!

Here's a link for you-

100% of fortune 1000 companies use AT&T.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oe...ing-181628.pdf

How'd it go? Bam! Bazinga?!?
  • Reply 57 of 116
    I hate these comparisons. People should pick their network based on where they are going to be using their phones and what gives them the best coverage and speed combo. For me it is Verizon, but for others it may be AT&T Sprint or Tmobile.
  • Reply 58 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

I hate these comparisons. People should pick their network based on where they are going to be using their phones and what gives them the best coverage and speed combo. For me it is Verizon, but for others it may be AT&T Sprint or Tmobile.

And for the price conscious each major carrier in the US has plans that others can't beat depending on the plan that you best fits your usage needs.

I'll never understand these asshats that think their carrier is the only one that should exist.
  • Reply 59 of 116
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yes I'm playin the "coverage card" when AT&T told me they wanted me to pay 100 extra bucks a month to put some boosting antenna box in my office when I'm already paying 100 a month for the service.?

More likely they wanted to sell you a microcell for one time charge of $100, not an additional $100 a month.

It allows your cell phone to use broadband internet connection for calls.
  • Reply 60 of 116
    Quote:

First bullet point.

Oh yeah, Jobs chose Verizon first...as self-servingly claimed by the CEO of Verizon (posthumously of course, after Steve could no longer put the record straight), and reported by the unreliable, anti-Apple Business Insider. Gotta be true if you believe it, right?

That's not all the bunk you're full of either, is it. What about your totally erroneous claim that AT&T charges users $100 each and every month for its femtocell?