Apple may build data center near Facebook, Google operations in Oregon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And their own web search?

Yes, but it won't be called that. It'll be called Siri 2.0.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but it won't be called that. It'll be called Siri 2.0.

I wonder if Siri will ever get versionized or if it will just improve over time in both the backend periodically, and yearly with how much it can do with our devices.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will Apple fill this new data center with the same Mac Mini and Mac Pro "Servers" that they tell their customers to use?

Oh, hell, no? Why would they be using that low-end mess? This is the hardware that's being used in the Maiden data center facility: http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/06/06/...uipment-apple/
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Oh, hell, no? Why would they be using that low-end mess? This is the hardware that's being used in the Maiden data center facility: http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/06/06/...uipment-apple/

Based on his previous posts he feels that Apple would be hypocritical for not using their own consumer and prosumer machines.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Mars Cloud

Moon cloud. (I like knowing it's nearby.)
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:

I wonder if Siri will ever get versionized or if it will just improve over time in both the backend periodically, and yearly with how much it can do with our devices.

It's weird to hear services versionized. I've never heard of versions attached to Google, Facebook, Amazon. YouTube, Twitter, or iTunes Store, even though the services have been (in some cases) radically rewritten, or changed. Siri is more of a service. If it is part of iOS, then it wouldn't be versioned apart from iOS.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's weird to hear services versionized. I've never heard of versions attached to Google, Facebook, Amazon. YouTube, Twitter, or iTunes Store, even though the services have been (in some cases) radically rewritten, or changed. Siri is more of a service. If it is part of iOS, then it wouldn't be versioned apart from iOS.

That's my thinking, though you made a better case than me as to why. I can see Apple applying some features to newer iOS versions but Siri should just be Siri, especially since they want it to be seen as AI not a bunch of computer code.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Of the 5 gb allotted to each person for free I bet only half is used.

That could be, but let's say that your figure is true. That still sounds like a lot of data.

How many devices in total?

I don't know for sure, a quarter of a billion? Maybe 200,000,000 ? Either way, it sounds like a lot of data, even if each one only uses up a few GB.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That could be, but let's say that your figure is true. That still sounds like a lot of data.

I don't know for sure, a quarter of a billion? Maybe 200,000,000 ? Either way, it sounds like a lot of data, even if each one only uses up a few GB.

it's easy to check your per device usage. For my iPhone it says 23.7GB free of 25GB under Settings » iCloud » Backup & Storage. That's for two iPhones for a total of 817.5MB in backups and 546.1MB in Mail.

edit: Cleaned up backups and now it says 24.3GB out of 25GB with 141.1MB for my iPhone 4 (all apps selected) and Mail staying at 546.1MB. Honestly, not much at all, but I can see how all the free @me.com accounts could get big just for mail.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

it's easy to check your per device usage. For my iPhone it says 23.7GB free of 25GB under Settings » iCloud » Backup & Storage. That's for two iPhones for a total of 817.5MB in backups and 546.1MB in Mail.

On my iPad 2, I have 3.3 GB available out of 5 GB. And my iPad 16 GB is pretty much full, with not much more free space on it.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:

On my iPad 2, I have 3.3 GB available out of 5 GB. And my iPad 16 GB is pretty much full, with not much more free space on it.

Yeah, the backup is only iOS 5.0 settings and apps using the iCloud APIs, along with the other things it records, like Mail.

I think developers can use the APIs to sync files the way Dropbox and SugarSync do across machines, but so far I haven't seen that done yet.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    My, that is a large one.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My, that is a large one.

"That's what she said!"
  • Reply 34 of 72
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why not build one in Chicago or Texas. That way you can have low latency on either coast and even less in Midwest. We have plenty of flat land to build it and a decent priced electricity. In the case of Chicago you can cover canada with low latency as well, and Texas could serve Mexican customers.

Having one center on the east coast never made sence to me so maybe this Oregon one will balance the load. It's just that tax breaks seem to play more into equation than location for some reason.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    tax breaks? Corporate welfare. Should not be allowed.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:

Apple has been using server farms for years with their extensive iTunes Store so what could these new massive server farms be used for? I don't think iCloud or Siri are going to cut it as answers.

Sure they would. As they expand iTunes offerings, plus have more and more devices that can run iCloud and Siri they will need to divide the load or suffer the same issues that turned Mobile Me into a steaming turd.

What I'm really wondering is if these companies will get a cut of the TV show that develops about Geekville or will they force the producers to make up a bunch of fake company names for this wacky tale of a town that has been taken over by not one, but three major tech companies and all the wacky new people who live there.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Sure - a couple of gigs multiplied by many many millions does add up to a fair amount of data ? Of my 25 gb allotment (I used to have a family account and was given 25gb but I suspect that will revert to 5 gbs when the year is up) I use 1.5 gbs. It makes the 5gb free limit seem plenty and it makes me wonder how on earth anybody would fill up 25gb were they to purchase extra storage.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It makes the 5gb free limit seem plenty and it makes me wonder how on earth anybody would fill up 25gb were they to purchase extra storage.

Don't forget developers have access to iCloud APIs. Imagine A Dropbox-like app that will let you access and sync all your data in iCloud. The developer even gets to bypass having any storage servers of their own.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    With our economy in shambles, these private companies are out to use extreme measures to try and avoid paying taxes.

So much for being corporate citizens.

"Buy American." Yeah, okay buddy.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Hopefully the folks in Oregon won't be complaining about Apple's failure to provide local furniture trade jobs, like the folks in North Carolina.

The state of NC handed out over 46 million dollars in tax incentives to one of the richest companies in the world for basically 50 jobs, and not even local ones at that.

Let's say those 50 people buy 50 homes locally...which probably didn't happen. I guarantee most of them ended up in Charlotte. It's still in NC, fair enough. But, how 'bout if we had just given those 50 people $300,000 for new homes and they just immediately forked it over to the local economy in the way of builders, existing homes, etc. $1.5 million. Hmmmm, a bit better deal for us taxpayers. $1.5 mil vs $46 mil

Oh, so they buy goods locally too? Wow, I hope they spend over $315 mil over the next ten years so we can recoup our sales tax!

So, excuse me if I don't welcome this multibillion dollar industry that COSTS us taxpayers of NC, with open arms. I have an iPhone and I have Apple stock, but it still doesn't make me an Apple corporate lover....