TiBook owners... upgrade to Combo!

zozo
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a bit mixed if this qualifies as a FUTURE hardware thread, but seeing that its still not available, I guess its borderline.

I was looking on <a href="http://www.apple.com/powerbook"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/powerbook</a> and at the bottom left of the page it said something I hadnt seen before:

[quote] Upgrade to a Combo drive. Starting January 14, 2002, Apple will offer current PowerBook G4 owners (550MHz and 667MHz) the opportunity to upgrade their existing DVD-ROM or CD-RW drive to the new Combo drive for US$299.

<hr></blockquote>

I didnt see this announced anywhere else... or it could be that it was announced when DVD/CDR TiBook was first presented and I never heard it.

Anyway, pretty cool on Apple's part.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    when they updated the powerbook G4 to combo drives that what a small thing they said as well but its not really that bad of a price considering unless you built yours with cd-rw already
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by howyoudoin:

<strong>when they updated the powerbook G4 to combo drives that what a small thing they said as well but its not really that bad of a price considering unless you built yours with cd-rw already</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, sorry... hadnt noticed it before... close thread.. thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    I wonder what company finally came up with a thin-enough slot loading cd-rw/dvd drive to fit? and who is working on a slot loading superdrive.

Who ever makes it will sell a ton to apple considering that 3 of the 4 products will get it with their next revision and the 4th (iBook) will eventually.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i don't see the ibook getting a slot loading drive for a while. apple still needs to do this to keep the differences between the pb and the ibook big enough.

and the new imac may not go slotloading for a while also. they'd love to, but that would require a slot loading superdrive.....i don't see a slot loading superdrive being produced for a very long time now. look how long it took them to make a combo drive slot loading
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I hope the drives stay like they are now, only the TiBooks having slot loading. Try loading is better for future expansion, since there's many more tray loading drives.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    I noticed Apple only offers the upgrade to 550Mhz+ models Why not in the earlier models???
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by :-):

<strong>I noticed Apple only offers the upgrade to 550Mhz+ models Why not in the earlier models???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Large mobo redesign and different connector. It's just not possible.