"Beyond" & "Crossing Over"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So there seems to be a run on psychic shows these days. I was looking at the afternoon TV schedule and noticed that there's <a href="http://www.vanpraagh.com/"; target="_blank">Beyond with James van Praagh</a>, and <a href="http://www.scifi.com/johnedward/"; target="_blank">Crossing Over with John Edward.</a> In the afternoon Crossing Over is on for an hour on two separate channels (so that's two separate hours) and Beyond is on for an hour as well.

What gives? Why has this become so popular? Do lots of people actually believe in this stuff, or is it just for fun and people know it's fake. Even if they don't know what it's called by magicians - cold reading - it just seems so obvious that it's fake, to me anyway. Anyone else a little freaked out by this? Is it a sign of greater irrationality in our society. Maybe we're undergoing a reverse enlightenment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont know how the syndicate works cross country (or internationally), but back home crossing over with mr buttface was on the scifi channel. i thot that it was a joke for a while. i mean, the channel has fiction builtin into the name --the show has to be fake. my mom actually went to a show, apparently its no joke. the idiots really believe it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Seems to be the response to the reality shows. It's the X-Files take on it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

What gives? Why has this become so popular?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't know. I have seen either show. I'm too busy with the whole epicenter of coolness thing.

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: spaceman_spiff ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>Don't know. I have seen either show. I'm too busy with the whole epicenter of coolness thing. </strong><hr></blockquote>Yeah I've learned to live with the fact that I used to be cool once.