Class-action Carrier IQ suit targets Apple, HTC, Samsung, carriers & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Good! I'm glad!

I did not appreciate every freaking key-stroke, geo-data, HTTPS data, and whatnot being sent to a shady third-party company. The opt-in wasn't intended for this kinda crap.

Then don't buy an Android phone. But even then, all that is not being logged even in the worst case.

This is all a lot to do about mostly nothing.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This whole mindless calling for tort reform and disparaging lawyers kind of mentality, plays right in to the interests of those who wish to operate outside and above the law. Capping damage awards, limiting the ability of plaintiffs to combine as a class, etc., all ultimately harm individuals by eliminating any fear of consequences for bad actions.

Wow, I pretty much 100% disagree with this statement in its entirety.

Tort reform (especially medical) is more needed than patent law reform. Come to think of it, they are both linked.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Actually, the lawyers get their names in the "lights" and the law firm gets publicity.

Not good publicity if they lose though.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That didn't take long.

Especially since the facts are nowhere near being uncovered and confirmed. So far all we have is the questionable research of some security nerd. The drive-by media has jumped on this to put out all the FUD it can muster in order to get the "scoop" and the page clicks. The entire thing is rumor and hearsay at this point. Things may or may not be what they seem. But that doesn't matter does it.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Good! I'm glad!

I did not appreciate every freaking key-stroke, geo-data, HTTPS data, and whatnot being sent to a shady third-party company. The opt-in wasn't intended for this kinda crap.

Please provide proof of your allegations. So far all we have is the word of some unknown security nerd. I mean Julian Assange has also stated that there is some sort of bug in iTunes that allows the government to do whatever they want with your data. No proof, no evidence, just the word of some paranoid screwball fighting extradition for charges of rape.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

1) Apple will probably get off scott free if the iOS EULA has language that says Apple can gather non-personally identifiable information about the use of your device for the purposes of improving performance yada yada legalese. Hell, we probably all consented by downloading iOS at some point. . . .

In the iTunes agreement, besides the standard Apple Privacy there's also a mention concerning privacy and the Genius feature. To use iTunes I think Genius is a requirement isn't it? With Genius turned on it's collecting information on all the media installed on your computer, not just what was purchased thru iTunes. There's no clear description of what other media info is collected, and it's implied that other information besides media may be harvested. Supposedly this "other data" isn't associated with your specific user account.

As for Apple's Privacy Policy that every iPhone user agreed to, it does allow Apple to share personally identifiable information about you with it's partners, ATT and Sprint for instance, and vice-versa.

"You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising."

It goes on to describe some types of data they might collect about you, tho it's not limited to these specific examples:

"When you create an Apple ID, register your products, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, and credit card information.

When you share your content with family and friends using Apple products, send gift certificates and products, or invite others to join you on Apple forums, Apple may collect the information you provide about those people such as name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.."

Not quite as comfortable with that one. My friends may not appreciate it.

In any case, every Apple user has agreed to allow Apple to gather and share personal info (PII) with partners, and even outside 3rd parties under specific conditions. I don't think the lawyers will be able to argue that user's of Apple devices didn't agree to the collection and sharing of PII and would only have the "illegal wiretap" claims as an argument IMHO. That's going to be stretch to prove.

http://www.apple.com/privacy/

EDIt: As SolipsismX alluded to, it's not the "CarrierIQ's" we need to be concerned with anyway. Take a moment to read this ArsTechnica article. No platform, including iOS, is exempt from government spyware.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...overnments.ars
  • Reply 27 of 63
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Wow, I pretty much 100% disagree with this statement in its entirety.

Tort reform (especially medical) is more needed than patent law reform. Come to think of it, they are both linked.

Yet, you have nothing to offer on how we would effect so-called "Tort Reform" without eliminating all protections and recourse citizens currently enjoy under the law, nor how we prevent offenders from simply calculating in damages as a small cost of doing business.

Those calling for junking our current system of laws and protections need to offer a viable alternative rather than simply calling for mindless "reform".
  • Reply 28 of 63
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Joining Apple among the list of defendants in the new lawsuit filed by Delaware-based Sianni & Straite LLP are fellow device makers HTC, Samsung and Motorola. In addition, U.S. carriers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile have been targeted for selling phones that include Carrier IQ software.

They always go after Apple, and give RIM a free pass!
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In the iTunes agreement, besides the standard Apple Privacy there's also a mention concerning privacy and the Genius feature. To use iTunes I think Genius is a requirement isn't it? With Genius turned on it's collecting information on all the media installed on your computer, not just what was purchased thru iTunes. There's no clear description of what other media info is collected, and it's implied that other information besides media may be harvested. Supposedly this "other data" isn't associated with your specific user account.

Regarding Genius, you have to opt-in. It is not a requirement to use iTunes. Here's the relevant wording in the EULA:

"When you opt-in to the Genius feature by checking the box below, Apple will, from time to time, automatically collect information that can be used to identify media in your iTunes library on this computer, such as your play history and play lists.* This includes media purchased through iTunes and media obtained from other sources. This information will be stored anonymously and not associated with your name or iTunes account."

TiVo service has a similar feature that you also have to opt-in to use, but if you choose not to use it, it does not prevent you from using your TiVo.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Regarding Genius, you have to opt-in. It is not a requirement to use iTunes. Here's the relevant wording in the EULA:

"When you opt-in to the Genius feature by checking the box below, Apple will, from time to time, automatically collect information that can be used to identify media in your iTunes library on this computer, such as your play history and play lists.* This includes media purchased through iTunes and media obtained from other sources. This information will be stored anonymously and not associated with your name or iTunes account."

TiVo service has a similar feature that you also have to opt-in to use, but if you choose not to use it, it does not prevent you from using your TiVo.

It's also not "all the media installed on your computer."
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's also not "all the media installed on your computer."

So what would "media from other sources" be restricted to?
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

Your iTunes Library.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yet, you have nothing to offer on how we would effect so-called "Tort Reform" without eliminating all protections and recourse citizens currently enjoy under the law.

Rubbish. Tort reform is about limiting the circumstances of liability and extent of compensation. In most cases it would be to something reasonable under the circumstances. In the first, place I would not leave it to a jury to calculate damages. There is a way to calculate the quantum of damage, and if policy supports it, exemplary damages. It is a stupid idea to give 12 people the opportunity to pull a number out of their arses and send a plaintiff on their way.

Quote:

nor how we prevent offenders from simply calculating in damages as a small cost of doing business.

Whenever you reduce something to a monetary value these calculations become inevitable. The alternative is incarceration. You would have to turn civil law into something which would have criminal consequences. In a lot of cases criminal code has provision for the same things which could result in a civil action. It would be unnecessary to contort developed law to involve incarceration for tortfeasors if there were a corresponding criminal provision, and the standard of proof would be more in line with what is required to invoke incarceration as a penalty.

EDIT: where a corporation is involved perhaps injunction could be used to prohibit them selling products or services for a period of time.

Quote:

Those calling for junking our current system of laws and protections need to offer a viable alternative rather than simply calling for mindless "reform".

Indeed. But you can also accept that the current system is not quite right when you got mind boggling sums awarded as damages as is the current case. Remember the principal point about compensation is to put things right, not to find a gravy train.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Not good publicity if they lose though.

any publicity is good publicity. No lawyer is has a 100% win rate so they may lose one but it puts their name out there.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

Your iTunes Library.

How is that different from iTune purchases? I asked my son just now and he thought everything in the library came from Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

How is that different from iTune purchases? I asked my son just now and he thought everything in the library came from Apple.

Looks like you caught be in your trolling snare. Way to go! You win whatever is trolls win for acting like idiots.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Looks like you caught be in your trolling snare. Way to go! You win whatever is trolls win for acting like idiots.

Whatever, but I still didn't see the clarification. From the wording in the iTunes agreement terms it would imply both the iTunes library and other sources on your computer. If you don't care to answer it then fine. I don't know how the question is trolling.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

Whatever, but I still didn't see the clarification. From the wording in the iTunes agreement terms it would imply both the iTunes library and other sources on your computer. If you don't care to answer it then fine. I don't know how the question is trolling.

It's either purposeful obtuseness (trolling) or you really are that obtuse. I don't experience such people in my day to day activities so I give you the benefit of the doubt and think you can't be that serious, but then I realize that reading comprehension has never been your forte so let's go at it again.
    1) "Identify media in your iTunes library on this computer"

2) "includes media purchased through iTunes and media obtained from other sources"

If it's not in your iTunes Library it's going to be recorded. Apple isn't spidering your entire Windows or Mac PCs looking for data without your knowledge or permission.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

I wonder if you're serious but then I realized that reading comprehension has never been your forte so let's go it it again.
    1) "Identify media in your iTunes library on this computer"

2) "includes media purchased through iTunes and media obtained from other sources"

So your iTunes Library includes media you may have purchased from Amazon or some other source then? Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.

Not sure why you also feel the need to toss a personal insult in there too. There's been a couple of times I've corrected you quite politely when you've erred, refraining from treating you as tho you were a fool. I suppose it does make some people feel better about themselves to belittle others but it's not a great trait IMO.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Media in your iTunes library. Not all media in your iTunes Library is purchased from the iTunes Music Store.

The EULA limits the search to only media you have stored into your iTunes library regardless of how you obtained the media.