macbook battery wont charge at all

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there, left my macbook on sleep mode, and 10 days later the battery had completely died. It will not charge at all and i have tried the SMC re set but that didn't resolve the problem - any other genius thoughts would be welcome as the new battery costs £101 plus i have a black macbook and the apple store batteries are white! thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I bought a battery from Other World Computing in the US and they sell black Macbook batteries---there are

batteries that are better than the original Apple batteries---check them out---but don't buy the cheapest one you

see.----
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

batteries that are better than the original Apple batteries

I personally caution against all third-party batteries.

And by 'caution' I mean 'have a vendetta' and by '.' I mean 'and hope to prevent everyone from buying those pieces of trash.'.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    The battery I bought was made by Newer Tech---they have a good reputation--and it seems to work well.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewvolume View Post

Hi there, left my macbook on sleep mode, and 10 days later the battery had completely died. It will not charge at all and i have tried the SMC re set but that didn't resolve the problem - any other genius thoughts would be welcome as the new battery costs £101 plus i have a black macbook and the apple store batteries are white! thank you.

if the mac isnt too old, try to use the warranty to your advantage.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    I had the same issue, non-unibody MBP. What worked for me is to not follow Apple's power management reset advice, but to do it this way: Disconnect everything and remove battery. Wait some arbitrary amount of time, but I'll say 30 seconds : ) Then hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds, longer for the hell of it. Then, instead of reconnecting as they say, plug the power cable in and wait for the lights to go through their sequence. When that is complete, put in the battery.

There is definitely something wonky about MBPs and batteries, as I went through two batteries, both an Apple and a NewerTech, that refused to be recognized reliably. I still have to do this every week or so, but both of these batteries function completely normally in another MBP, and both have gotten clean bills of health when tested. I was at my wits end because all of a sudden I couldn't confidently work via battery without it suddenly shutting down randomly, maybe once a day with no warning from nearly full charge. I'm convinced that it has nothing to do with the batteries but with the MBP suddenly not being able to see it. This power reset procedure allows me to work fairly normally, although I have to do it every few weeks. But, as I say, both batteries will run another MBP flawlessly.

Go figure.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I personally caution against all third-party batteries.

And by 'caution' I mean 'have a vendetta' and by '.' I mean 'and hope to prevent everyone from buying those pieces of trash.'.

How much commission do you get from Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rovers View Post

How much commission do you get from Apple?

$0.00.

The collective of reviews shows that Apple batteries last far longer?both in charge time and number of cycles?than those of third parties.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    It power I purchased was created by Modern Tech---they have a excellent reputation--and it seems to operate well.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Thats an incredible amount to go through, Guy. I say that as a doctor but more recently got a completely different perspective on it after my wife went through a 5-hour breast surgery thank God results came back as non-cancerous. Im so glad you and your wife got this good news and wish you both the best.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    This is not exactly related, but if you are concerned with battery issues you should check out low battery saver, makes sure your Mac sleeps before the battery completely runs out and let's you set a warning to alert you that the computer is about to sleep. (lhttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/low-battery-saver/id480383312?mt=12) It won't fix your battery problems but at least you won't lose your work, have to restart your computer etc. Hope this helps!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshS View Post

This is not exactly related, but if you are concerned with battery issues you should check out low battery saver, makes sure your Mac sleeps before the battery completely runs out and let's you set a warning to alert you that the computer is about to sleep. (lhttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/low-battery-saver/id480383312?mt=12) It won't fix your battery problems but at least you won't lose your work, have to restart your computer etc. Hope this helps!

"Lose your work"? Lion autosaves. You can't lose any work. Your post looks like a shill for that application?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewvolume View Post

For what its worth, it used to be rumoured that lithium batteries have a safety feature that renders them useless when they drop below a critical level. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it. Perhaps it is something to do with the balanced charging of cells.

The above may however be out of date- the apple site recommends letting the power drop until the macbook goes into sleep and leaving the device unplugged for several months in order to reset the battery???
  • Reply 13 of 15

I recently installed apple updates 4 days ago. Since then I have issues with the headphone jack working on and off and now its my charging point. My macbook is out of warranty but in vgc and not used alot. Could there be something dodgy in the updates that has prompted this?? since my macbookpro has not been exposed to any new conditions and this just seems so odd. Im not sure what to do but read something online that it is possible to send an undetectable bug to the laptop so you have to purchase replacement/ additional hardware. Does anyone know about this or can help what the issue might be. I have never had this kind of issue with a immaculately maintained machine just going on the blink out of the blue shortly after accepting these updates. Please help!! I need this to finish a project that is all set up on apple software that I am on a deadline for !!

• Reply 14 of 15
    The battery I bought was made by Newer Tech---they have a good reputation--and it seems to work well.Ugg Outlet
    Ugg New Arrivals
    Ugg Earmuffs
    Ugg Gloves
    Ugg Bailey Button
  • Reply 15 of 15

I recently installed apple updates 4 days ago. Since then I have issues with the headphone jack working on and off and now its my charging point