Apple could pay $1.5B to Chinese company in iPad trademark lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I can't believe Apple would overlook something like that when buying the iPad trademark from Proview. I'd like to see the agreement.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

OK, Proview does look to have legit trademarks for iPad in various countries starting in 2000. But that's not enough. I want to know what products they were actively selling under those names over the last decade for each of those countries. These aren't patents you can sit on, if you don't use a trademark you can lose it.

In the end Apple won't be paying them anywhere close to $1.5 billion. There is always the option of changing the name like Apple did with AirPort to AirMac in Japan.

If the trial is in China, Apple can loose.

They are very nationalistic in China. Probably the reason why Apple lost the China trademark even if Apple had bought it.

China and other asian tiger countries have totally different culture then US/Europe. They put their countries first. Like when Apple lost court case in South Korea for the cashing of base station in iPhone/Itunes.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    How can China sue anyone for stealing anything? Stealing other's ideas and copying is practically their calling card!

Seriously add up the amount of pirated and copied shit over there and let's call the whole debt to them even. Done.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

We are already chinese here in this country. We just don't know it yet. If you disagree then go into any walmart or best buy and look at where the product is made. Uh huh, see we are becoming chinese.

Buying a Chinese-manufactured iPhone no more makes me Chinese than buying a taco makes me Mexican or buying a tiffin makes me Indian.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

How can China sue anyone for stealing anything? Stealing other's ideas and copying is practically their calling card!

Seriously add up the amount of pirated and copied shit over there and let's call the whole debt to them even. Done.

Welcome to the world's latest superpower. For better or worse.

http://www.moddb.com/groups/deus-ex-...engsha-morning
  • Reply 26 of 60
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The Chinese are crooks. They can't innovate anything themselves so they have to steal everything, including names. Apple should have never gone into China to sell products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

$1.5B for a damn product name?

• Reply 27 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Come on, bdkennedy1! Why do you have to make such baseless and racist claims?
  • Reply 28 of 60
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Even though China is a huge market, Apple should just stop selling "i" everything there. It should also stop manufacturing in China also. If the Chinese don't want to play fair then they shouldn't get to play at all.

Yep that will show them! "no soup for you!" Apple will lose billions in future sales....billions more in added production costs for their products but hey..... that will show them!
  • Reply 29 of 60
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Apple should just tell Foxconn to pressure them. You either Get 5 Million up unemployment rate, and apple paid Foxconn to move the God Damn Factory to Brazil and other part of China.

Or you Shut them up with a reasonable amount of money.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

OK, Proview does look to have legit trademarks for iPad in various countries starting in 2000. But that's not enough. I want to know what products they were actively selling under those names over the last decade for each of those countries. These aren't patents you can sit on, if you don't use a trademark you can lose it.

In the end Apple won't be paying them anywhere close to $1.5 billion. There is always the option of changing the name like Apple did with AirPort to AirMac in Japan.

I believe they did, they saved themselves 1.5 Billion by calling it the riPad......its a play on words which stands for registered iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Under US law that is true. But are we certain that the the applicable laws in China are the same.

That said, Apple may have to take a tact of breach of contract over the language of the agreement.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Even though China is a huge market, Apple should just stop selling "i" everything there. It should also stop manufacturing in China also. If the Chinese don't want to play fair then they shouldn't get to play at all.

If Apple stops manufacturing in China, at least right now, they will stop existing. There's just not the infrastructure anywhere else.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Chinese law system is very different than western world. A judge is just another government clerk. The ruling is based on 1)relationship, 2) reasoning, 3) law. In other words, obeying law is not necessary. I have seen a defender yelling at the judge for not ruling for her. Image that in US? Ha! Ha! All Apple has to do is called Mr. Locke and make it a political problem. All law suits will go away. Politic is also above the law.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeliu58 View Post

Chinese law system is very different than western world. A judge is just another government clerk. The ruling is based on 1)relationship, 2) reasoning, 3) law. In other words, obeying law is not necessary. I have seen a defender yelling at the judge for not ruling for her. Image that in US? Ha! Ha! All Apple has to do is called Mr. Locke and make it a political problem. All law suits will go away. Politic is also above the law.

Do you think defendants yelling at the judges doesn't happen in the US?

There are idiots who after losing make threats, try attacking judge. Search youtube you will see these people. its not exclusive to China.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

When you have $100B warchest, you can actually feasibly do something like this. Not saying they will of course.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    The US is the new third world in business. The Chinese/Asians can do pretty much whatever they want. Copy with abandon.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Apple Computer had to pay $500 millions for Apple record to settle.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Well, it's not like Proview was ever going to make that much revenue off the name before Apple chose to use it. It's like, if you had some empty, marshy swamp land in Florida full of gators and mosquitoes, it might not be worth that much, but if, say, Disney came knocking and wanted to build a theme park there, the price of the land would suddenly skyrocket. That's pretty much what this $1.5B is about.

Apple has had to fight someone to use every major trademarked they've launched. Macintosh, iPhone, iPad, even the name Apple was under contention at some point. Proview just wants more money, and Apple will probably have to give it to them if they want iPad to be a single global brand.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The US is the new third world in business. The Chinese/Asians can do pretty much whatever they want. Copy with abandon.

That they do. But I fear even more the day when they don't have to, because it means they have become first in design and engineering, and Silicon Valley has become the next Detroit.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomjava View Post

Apple Computer had to pay $500 millions for Apple record to settle.

Where do you get that figure from? If you add up all the payments across the board Apple Corp could have actually paid Apple Computer more money in the end.