Apple adds night reading theme, full screen mode to iBooks with 1.5 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued an update to its iBooks iOS app, adding a night-time reading theme, full-screen layout, new fonts and an improved annotation palette.

iBooks 1.5 for iPhone and iPad arrived in the App Store early Wednesday. The free 20.7MB download (iTunes link) requires iOS 4.2 or later.

According to Apple, the update includes stability and performance improvements, as well as the following features:

Nighttime reading theme makes reading books in the dark easier on the eyes.Full-screen layout lets you focus on the words without distraction.iBooks now features an improved selection of fonts, including Athelas, Charter, Iowa, and Seravek.Beautiful new classic covers for public domain books.A redesigned annotation palette makes it easier to choose a color for your highlighted text.

The Cupertino, Calif., company is currently facing a class-action lawsuit over its iBooks pricing model, as well as a European Commission investigation into possible anti-competitive practices. Unlike Amazon, Apple worked with publishers to adopt an agency model for iBooks, allowing book publishers to set their own prices while providing Apple a cut of their sales. The company currently takes 30 percent of revenue from books sold on the iBookstore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This update is making me miss my iPad even more. Still debating getting one now or just holding out for the G3.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This looks like a really nice update! I'll be updating later on tonight for sure.

Additional fonts! Full screen! Night time mode!

I was already happy with reading books on the iPad, as I do read a bit, but this will make it even better!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Now work out a deal with libraries, and it can replace the Kindle app for me

I love checking out library books for free from home and reading them on my iPad. Kindle has some arrangement with libraries, and is a good reader app?almost an iBooks clone, but it has some annoying rough edges. I?d use iBooks if I could.

(Purchasing ease is not a factor between the two apps, since I don?t want to own a lot of books. I read them and move on.)
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Well, I just updated and I opened a book real quick just to see how things look.

I'm liking all of the additional fonts, there are 7 in total to choose from now. I'm also liking the full page option.

I don't think that night time mode is for me though. It's a matter of preference, and it seems like all it does is swap the text with the background, making them inverse. That option was always in the iPad wasn't it? It's under settings/general/accessibility/white on black. But it's a good option to have directly in iBooks for those people who need it.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    They FINALLY add night mode. Jeez, Apple can move slow as molasses sometimes.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    if you read white text on black background for longer periods of time, you will see white lines afterwards, when you stop reading. I wouldn't recommend the night mode.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Interesting: the new iBooks update only requires iOS 4.2. I can get it without committing iOS5cide.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Interesting: the new iBooks update only requires iOS 4.2. I can get it without committing iOS5cide.

What's wrong with iOS 5? Why are you still using 4.2?

I've been using 5 since it was available and everything is smooth here, plus I like the extra multitouch gestures. And don't you need 5 for wireless syncing and iCloud? It's a big plus not having to plug in the iPad to a computer anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I just updated and I opened a book real quick just to see how things look.

I'm liking all of the additional fonts, there are 7 in total to choose from now. I'm also liking the full page option.

I don't think that night time mode is for me though. It's a matter of preference, and it seems like all it does is swap the text with the background, making them inverse. That option was always in the iPad wasn't it? It's under settings/general/accessibility/white on black. But it's a good option to have directly in iBooks for those people who need it.

I just updated on my iPhone and I don't really see a full screen option. I thought it would fill up the entire screen like the kindle app(the only thing that's better on the kindle app compared to ibooks) but it seems to take up the same amount of space as before. Night mode and the new fonts are cool.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

iPhone 4 (not S), original iPad, iOS 5.0.1 - great, no problems (except a single battery drained in a flash episode).

iBooks 1.5 - nice! Like the full-screen mode and am keen to try night mode out. \

Tried sepia for the first time (old feature I know), quite like that too.

My book is still in the store.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Nighttime reading: prelude to optimizations for AMOLED screens? One can only hope
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koham View Post

I just updated on my iPhone and I don't really see a full screen option. I don't really see any difference. I thought it would fill up the screen like the kindle app but it seems to take up the same amount of space. Night mode and the new fonts are cool.

On the iPad, full screen replaces the book look with the full page. Just grabs a little screen space back. A nice, subtle feature.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Sounds like a great update. iBooks is one of my favorite app on iPad. Use it every day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Now work out a deal with libraries, and it can replace the Kindle app for me

I love checking out library books for free from home and reading them on my iPad. Kindle has some arrangement with libraries, and is a good reader app?almost an iBooks clone, but it has some annoying rough edges. I?d use iBooks if I could.

(Purchasing ease is not a factor between the two apps, since I don?t want to own a lot of books. I read them and move on.)

You know that iOS has Overdrive app long before Kindle, right?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    iBooks is probably the app I spend the most time in, it's good to see it getting some love. But it has some more fundamental problems that I wish they would address, such as you quit the app, and reenter it, and it is not on exactly the same page (maybe one forward or one back). This only happens when the app has been purged since you last used it. You can tell because the empty bookshelf flashes for a bit when it reloads from scratch vs coming out of hibernation.

And also, one time you are reading a book, text flows on to the verso page (say), and the next time the very same text is on a recto page, with the same device orientation and font size. There seems to be no fixed pages, it just flows the text like a web browser, which is fine, but why does it flow differently from session to session, if it hasn't been edited? I think they need to review their layout engine and see if there might be some failure to fully reset state, or something like that.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's wrong with iOS 5? Why are you still using 4.2?

I've been using 5 since it was available and everything is smooth here, plus I like the extra multitouch gestures. And don't you need 5 for wireless syncing and iCloud? It's a big plus not having to plug in the iPad to a computer anymore.

I highly value the long battery life iOS4 provides.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

iPhone 4 (not S), original iPad, iOS 5.0.1 - great, no problems (except a single battery drained in a flash episode).

iBooks 1.5 - nice! Like the full-screen mode and am keen to try night mode out. \

Tried sepia for the first time (old feature I know), quite like that too.

My book is still in the store.

Thanks for the feedback. I might get the nerve to pull the trigger on Battery Life Roulette!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I might get the nerve to pull the trigger on Battery Life Roulette!

Great! I think that I have a handle on the battery drain incident, which seems to have involved the application task drawer. \

All the best.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

I highly value the long battery life iOS4 provides.

I guess you're talking about an iPhone. I just assumed that people were talking about iPads in this thread, but I suppose that some people use iBooks on their iPhone also.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

They FINALLY add night mode. Jeez, Apple can move slow as molasses sometimes.

Agreed, Stanza had this for years. I find normal mode very difficult to use while reading in darker environments.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Agreed, Stanza had this for years. I find normal mode very difficult to use while reading in darker environments.

I pointed this out earlier, but there's always been an option in the general preferences to make the screen inverse.