Apple submits updated renderings, plans for Cupertino spaceship campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Newly submitted renderings of Apple's proposed 13,000-employee mega-campus in Cupertino, Calif., depict a roof with a dark-grey material, a jogging path and modest changes to the ancillary fitness center.

The City of Cupertino posted an update to the company's "Apple Campus 2 Project" on Tuesday evening. Though most of the new renderings are higher-quality, better-lit versions of the original design, some of the images also appear to show a darker color for the structure's roof.

Other minor changes in the revised application include the addition of parking plans for the corporate auditorium, drawings for a private jogging path and a proposed expansion of the corporate fitness center from the original proposal of 25,000 square feet to 45,000 square feet. The fitness center appears to have lost a floor in the process, as the new submittal lists the facility's height as 18 feet instead of the original 30 feet.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs first unveiled the project at a Cupertino town hall meeting in June. The 2.8 million square-foot office building, which would boast a wider diameter than the Pentagon, would house 13,000 employees.

"It's a little like a spaceship landed," Jobs said of the building, which has a circular shape with curved glass all the way around. According to him, Apple has "a shot at building the best office building in the world."

Original rendering, left; Updated rendering, right.

However, some critics have taken issue with Apple's design choices. The Los Angeles Times architecture critic has called the project a "retrograde cocoon," disparaging it for an eclectic mixture of a "futuristic gleam" with a "doggedly old-fashioned proposal." The New Yorker's architecture critic lampooned the building as "a gigantic donut." He described the project as "troubling" and "maybe even a bit scary," because it lacks functionality and human scale.

Following Jobs' presentation, city officials quickly voiced support for the project. Cupertino mayor Gilbert Wong said there was "no chance" the city would not approve the structure. Mayors of neighboring cities have also come out in favor of the project.

Proposed vehicle circulation, left; Proposed pedestrian circulation, right.

Assuming that Apple receives the necessary approvals, the company plans to break ground on the project next year and open the facility in 2015. The iPhone maker appears to have already budgeted increased capital expenses for the structure, as its projected expenses for fiscal 2012 have jumped up 72 percent year over year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Now this is something I would travel to see. I wonder if they would let me have a picnic on the campus. Maybe even let my dog take a crap there. An Apple crap. I will feed him Macintosh Apples and he could take a dump by the walk path. But don't worry I will bring my popper scooper. I will smile and let the Apple execs know that I love my Apple products and therefor I will stay green man. Groovy with tie die and all.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    This one has an improved star drive and six shuttle bays.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I ike the additional walking paths but think they still need more to utilize the open space.

2) I wonder if the move from a white roof to a grey roof is for thermal water-heating and/or solar paneling.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Sad that Steve won't be there for the unveiling.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Interesting that the critics hate the building that will become an instant icon and admired around the world.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This one has an improved star drive and six shuttle bays.

LOL!

I was going to say it:

"That's no moon! It's a space station!!!"

Don't fall for the deception, boys and girls!

This is Isengard.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    They should put solar panels on this roof. Not using all this space is just a waste..
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

They should put solar panels on this roof. Not using all this space is just a waste..

I completely agree.. and solar thermal, too
  • Reply 9 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Sad that Steve won't be there for the unveiling.

My thoughts exactly. I miss you so much Steve.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    It would be nice PR if it would turn out that the whole design has been carried out on Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    For all of Apple's talk of sustainability they seem to have no interest in integrating their campus with the surrounding community. It may be a secrecy thing, or it may be that they aren't genuinely interested in the concepts unless there's a product to market and sell. Regardless, it's a bit sad that they would forgo the opportunity to create something outsiders could also appreciate.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thecynicwithin View Post

For all of Apple's talk of sustainability they seem to have no interest in integrating their campus with the surrounding community. It may be a secrecy thing, or it may be that they aren't genuinely interested in the concepts unless there's a product to market and sell. Regardless, it's a bit sad that they would forgo the opportunity to create something outsiders could also appreciate.

What do you have in mind? It's pretty normal for tech companies to have insular campuses.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Given its size, I'd expect parking to be in several lots around the building, but i see only a large lot away from the building. Perhaps they have a PRT (personal rapid transit) system or shuttles? I also hope the roof will have solar power generation.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    The roof does indeed have solar panels! That information is in the floor plans.

There were several modifications in the new plans. Actually almost every building is structurally changed (except for the main building).
  • Reply 15 of 38
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    I knew it! It's one of the alien motherships for the Greys! lol
  • Reply 16 of 38
    I have read several articles on the new campus since Steve announced it, but I don't recall ever seeing a cost estimate.

Would anyone hazard a guess?

Along with that estimate, how many construction people would it employ.

Just wondering......
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Interesting that the critics hate the building that will become an instant icon and admired around the world.

Of course they complain. Whenever a new building/structure goes up there's always a bunch of whiners complaining. Gotta get traffic somehow, and if you can't get the normal people to read your blog, you can always take the low road and go for the hater crowd.

Sort of like comedy. Some comedians have to resort to swearing and rude jokes about bodily functions while others actually come up with clever material.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

Given its size, I'd expect parking to be in several lots around the building, but i see only a large lot away from the building. Perhaps they have a PRT (personal rapid transit) system or shuttles? I also hope the roof will have solar power generation.

Underground, I believe.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Enough with the violins, yer breaking my heart.

Companies (there's only one so far that I know of) whose business it is to change the world through revolutionary and enlightening products have to work in relative isolation -- secrecy, if you want -- like a skunk works, only a big one, and now in a building that encourages imagination on -- dare we say it -- a cosmic scale. The building embodies the Zen vision of Great Co-Founder Jobs.

They can do whatever they want with their glass laboratory, and if they don't want a nonstop parade of curious or even hostile outsiders, they can run tours on weekends or something. But I have a feeling that there will still be complainers about Apple's "cocoon." Get over yourself, I say. What does "sustainability" have to do with "integration with the surrounding community"? Same goes for the L.A. Times architecture critic, whose name I already forgot. If he'd said something real I might have remembered him.

We gotta do something about this snotty hostility to Apple, which will get worse the more visible and successful they become. I think it's the jealousy that goes with insecurity, but that's just offhand psychologizing.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Biased. Please point out any other corporate offices which are open to the public, as you ask for above.