Grand Central Apple Store uncovered ahead of Friday's opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has taken down the tarps covering the front of its soon-to-open Grand Central Terminal Store, revealing the entrance to one of its largest retail locations in the world.

The stairs leading up to the store were previously blocked off by a large black display with digital sign teasing the forthcoming grand opening, but now users can see the entrance way, complete with a glowing Apple logo, on the east balcony. The stairs leading to the Apple Store are above the entrance to tracks 100 through 117, as well as the dining concourse.

The new Apple store looks down on the main concourse and features the company's signature look of maple wood tables showcasing the company's products. The open area is lit by chandeliers hanging overhead.

The 23,000-square-foot store will be one of Apple's largest retail locations in the world. It sits in a prime location in Grand Central Terminal, though which an estimated 700,000 people pass every day.

Apple sent out a press release on Wednesday, announcing that the new Grand Central store will open at 10 a.m. this Friday, Dec. 9. It noted that the store overlooks the historic Main concourse from the East and North East balconies of Grand Central Terminal, and features two Genius Bars.

The store is staffed by 315 employees and features rooms dedicated to retail services, including Apple's largest Personal Setup area in the world. There's also a Personal Training room, where Mac owners can learn the basics or sign up for the $99 One to One program.

The Apple Store Grand Central will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday, Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Even before its grand opening on Friday, the storefront has already generated controversy, as officials in New York have announced they are investigating the lease for the property that Apple negotiated with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The investigation was spurred by a New York Post article that revealed Apple is paying $60 per square foot for the property, compared to other tenants that pay more than $200 per square foot.

The MTA quickly fired back in a strongly worded statement, encouraging officials to "bring it on" and investigate Apple's Grand Central Terminal Lease. The MTA characterized the Post's report as "inaccurate," and revealed that Apple's lease will quadruple the rent coming in to the authority from $263,000 to $1.1 million.

Below are photos of Apple's new Grand Central Terminal Store, taken by Kim Bhasin of Business Insider, as well as AppleInsider readers Greg and Ryan.

Photo courtesy AppleInsider reader Greg.

Photo courtesy AppleInsider reader Ryan.

Photo via Kim Bhasin of Business Insider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) It looks like a fancy library of the future that would have a single table in it with on white iPad titled Non Fiction and a black iPad titled Fiction.

2) I'm impressed by the speed in which this store has been built. It would take me months just to get a permit for a gazebo on my home.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Can someone explain the access to the store for the handicapped? Is there an elevator to the store level from the concourse?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It looks like a fancy library.

2) I'm impresses by the speed in which this store has been built. It woul take me months just to get a permit to a gazebo to my home.

Did Apple have to build anything new for this store? Can't tell from the photos whether their illuminated logos are even integrated into the concourse.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgkanter View Post

Can someone explain the access to the store for the handicapped? Is there an elevator to the store level from the concourse?

Yes. Apple has apparently paided for the elevator revamp donut could be something fancy.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

1) It looks like a fancy library.

2) I'm impresses by the speed in which this store has been built. It woul take me months just to get a permit to a gazebo to my home.

I don't see much Apple had to built. The store it self looks awkward because it's just in a hallway, walkway though the terminal. Apple couldn't even put in their own lights and make some table lamps.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I don't see much Apple had to built. The store it self looks awkward because it's just in a hallway, walkway though the terminal. Apple couldn't even put in their own lights and make some table lamps.

That is what it looks amazing! It is as if it is part of the existing building - with glass separations. It is different and very very cool. imo

But the photographs are deceptive because of the difficult light conditions. The very yellow look doesn't really do it justice and adds to the 'old library effect'
  • Reply 7 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Good thing they aren't paying rent by the cubic foot. Those are some impressively high ceilings.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Amazing how wonderful this terminal is and I can't believe it was only 30 years ago that it was almost torn down.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

But remember there was a restaurant there. All that had to be taken out and remodeled.

Judging by the size of the dining area and quality of the restaurant that kitchen was huge. Then there is getting power outlets to every tablet from under the floor. That looks like marble to me, not a drop floor so unless they are handing cables from the ceiling or creating their own artificial floor using marble layover it looks like they would be altering blocks under the floor. Then there is the power grid that would need to be altered to deal with the needs. It all sounds like a major undertaking to me.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

But remember there was a restaurant there. All that had to be taken out and remodels. Judging by the size of the dining area and quality of the restaurant that kitchen was huge. Then there is getting power cables to every tablet from under the floor. That looks like marble to me, not a drop floor so unless they are handing cables from the ceiling or creating their own artifical floor it looks like they would be altering blocks under the floor. Then there is the power grid that would need to be altered to deal with the needs. It all sounds like a major undertaking to me.

Better image - less yellow (the floor does indeed look new)

• Reply 11 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Not to be outdone, Microsoft has announced it has signed a lease agreement to rent the Grand Central Terminal men's room for their Microsoft Store. "The Men's Room at the terminal will allow us to have a captive audience and to showcase our wares with similar valued crap," says Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Absolutely gorgeous!

How do they close the store? Is there some kind of barrier?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has taken down the tarps covering the front of its soon-to-open Grand Central Terminal Store, revealing the entrance to one of its largest retail locations in the world.

Meh.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not to be outdone, Microsoft has announced it has signed a lease agreement to rent the Grand Central Terminal men's room for their Microsoft Store. "The Men's Room at the terminal will allow us to have a captive audience and to showcase our wares with similar valued crap," says Steve Ballmer.

In related news, not be outdone Michael Dell has inked a deal with the GCT to replace their current toilet paper with Streaks.
  • Reply 15 of 48

Thanks for the images. That proves Apple is using the same floor-based power outlet model as in other stores. But I'd like to know how they did it. Is that floor the same that was there before, or just similar. Is there a step to get into the store proper?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Absolutely gorgeous!

How do they close the store? Is there some kind of barrier?

If it's not going to be a 24 hours store then I'd say they will have security inside 24 hours. I don't think it will be a problem until the Cloverfield monster causes widespread panic in which case all bets are off.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Man, I sure wish they'd enlarge the Austin Barton Creek store beyond one small retail slot. It's so crowded in there on a Saturday that the whole store reeks of BO.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

That proves Apple is using the same floor-based power outlet model as in other stores. But I'd like to know how they did it.

It is called "fishing".

http://www.forteelectric.com/SnakeWire.html
  • Reply 18 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Meh.

Way to go conehead, joe. Did you think anyone would care about your opinion?

BTW, feel free to tell us which retail chain you've created which is more successful than Apple's.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Way to go conehead, joe. Did you think anyone would care about your opinion?

BTW, feel free to tell us which retail chain you've created which is more successful than Apple's.

I like that, "coneheadjoe," hope you don't mind if I borrow it.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I like that, "coneheadjoe," hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

And I thought it was conradjoke all this time....... thanks for highlighting the correction.