Holiday iPhone, Mac sales ahead of expectations, iPad 'a little light'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    The press will attribute the slightly less than stellar sales to the Amazon Kindle Tablet. Yes, they still call this POS a Tablet. It can do most of what people do all the time with the iPad but cost only 200 bucks. Sounds great until you really use the POS.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I don't recall Wu recommending to get out of APPL and buying RIMM

Wu's job is to review portfolios, analyze, declare the protocol/criteria utilized and write a report for his 'only for their eyes' superiors.

And unless you are on their clients/prospectives' correspondence list, I doubt that you have ever seen anything worth making a judgement on.

As for me, I never owned anything of RIM's. And since January, 1984, virtually nearly every Apple product ever made, and lots of them.

You asked me if I could do better... and, as mentioned, I did.

You can go on and on and on if you wish (... and still making it personal ) but it doesn't change that fact.

Enough said.

PS - back to the topic... I still believe that these guys are light on iPad sales. Wu should have stayed with 14-15 million. Without the Fire I would have stuck with 15 million flat but I'm still estimating 1 million over Wu's guess.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

13.5 million iPad units sold in the holiday quarter would be a new record for Apple.

Toshiba sold 13.6 million blank DVDs last quarter, more than Apple sold iPads. It's over. Apple's run was awesome, but it can't go on forever.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Toshiba sold 13.6 million blank DVDs last quarter, more than Apple sold iPads. It's over. Apple's run was awesome, but it can't go on forever.

Sadly, it seems that this is close to the truth in the investment community's thinking. They're all waiting for the fall. Nobody wants to be caught with their pants down. Apple could have record quarters for the next 10 years... and they'd still be waiting for the fall in every year during that time.

The number of anything sold by Apple seems to be inconsequential.
  • Reply 25 of 42

The comments section reads like AI!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sadly, it seems that this is close to the truth in the investment community's thinking. They're all waiting for the fall. Nobody wants to be caught with their pants down. Apple could have record quarters for the next 10 years... and they'd still be waiting for the fall in every year during that time.

The number of anything sold by Apple seems to be inconsequential.

Then it's a buying opportunity, no? All that it lacking is patience on your part?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then it's a buying opportunity, no? All that it lacking is patience on your part?

Not yet... imho

AAPL just bumped downwards off the 50... and then we get guys like Wu working on the downside with low iPad numbers. Tells me that there is still a chance to buy below 350... although the savings won't be substantial unless you're buying at least 1000 shares.

... and, really, the long range forecast in the January reveal had better be good or the bastards will short AAPL to $300.

Longer outlook, though... bouncing off of $500 by the summer of 2013... imo
  • Reply 28 of 42
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

ThE "light" iPad sales are not surprising considering all thr competitors are clearing inventory at fire sale prices. Additionally, the Kindle should hurt a bit right now, but once customers realize it is no iPad, the kindle effect should subside also. Finally, most are expecting a big iPad 3 update, so that is the next step for Apple

Agreed, given the wonderful gifts HP, RIM, Dell and others have given in the unique form of mega-million dollar inventory write downs... AKA, the selling products that cost upwards of $400+ to make for $99.95. I think someone should add up all of the magnificent failures in dollars lost should make for an interesting chart when compared with the profits the iPad has raked in over the same period.

The 'tablet' everyone seems to be looking at for a dent in iPad sales is of course the Amazon Fire.

I do agree... The price point is very compelling to ANYONE not savvy about the finer details and differences. Once people realize they have to sign their kid up for his own Amazon account or be crazy enough to let junior use the household account.

The problem of course being its SO easy to buy on the fire and the child controls might not be all that good... Apple lived and learned this lesson but 99% of the stuff that was purchased as $5 apps... The fire will let you buy just about anything Amazon sells...

Perhaps I'm making this more of an issue than it is but I don't think so.

I was right ... The news is already covering this nasty little issue:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/1...7B50J120111206
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In the long run, though, I don't see it having too much impact. The Fire is mostly going to people who wouldn't have been iPad customers, anyway (or who will buy both). Plus, I doubt if Amazon's shareholders will be happy with them bleeding red ink indefinitely. I suspect that the next generation Fire will be significantly more expensive (or will be substantially less capable). Add in the fact that initial reports on the Fire are not overwhelmingly positive, so many Fire customers will end up buying their iPads, anyway.

So you are saying that Fire customers would not have bought iPad anyway. But Cook believes that unhappy Fire customers will become iPad customers.

Apple fans, which is it? The statements are in conflict.

I predict the next gen Fire will have more features and maintain the price. Volume manufacturing will lower the cost of additional features.

If you read AI, you will get the (biased) impression that Fire is junk. Go to Youtube and looks at the videos. Go to Target and BB and try it out. I don't know what those reviewers were complaining about. I think they had a completely different device. My impression is as positive as my impression of the Touch. It is a good device that does many things well. For both devices, they have quirks and glitches. Just keep believing that the Fire is junk and underestimating the competition.

I suppose Apple fans still believe that "Android will never pass Apple in market share." Taste the medicine folks, its a little bitter.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

iPhone and Mac sales above expectations won't matter one bit if any other Apple product is even 1% less than the wildest forecast. The stock vampires will suck the blood out of AAPL with just the slightest hint of any product, no matter how small, not exceeding expectations.

You called it perfectly. It doesn't matter how much money Apple makes overall per quarter. It only matters that individual product unit sales expectations are reached. A miss on any one product will be a major disappointment to Wall Street and that will set up for a drop in Apple's share price. It doesn't even matter if high sales of one product offsets the lower sales of another product. Apple must meet and preferably beat every sales expectation of every product in order to boost share price. Those type of expectations make it almost impossible for Apple to beat because it's too specific and arbitrary at the same time. Case in point is if Apple introduced a new MacBook Air that may sap sales from the iPad, WS will just say that iPad sales were down and too bad as iPad sales expectations were missed.

I don't think any other company is under that type of manipulative scrutiny. Maybe Apple should stop disclosing individual product sales like Amazon does with the Kindle.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

So you are saying that Fire customers would not have bought iPad anyway. But Cook believes that unhappy Fire customers will become iPad customers.

I predict the next gen Fire will have more features and maintain the price. Volume manufacturing will lower the cost of additional features.

If you read AI, you will get the (biased) impression that Fire is junk. Go to Youtube and looks at the videos. Go to Target and BB and try it out. I don't know what those reviewers were complaining about. I think they had a completely different device. My impression is as positive as my impression of the Touch. It is a good device that does many things well. For both devices, they have quirks and glitches. Just keep believing that the Fire is junk and underestimating the competition.

I suppose Apple fans still believe that "Android will never pass Apple in market share." Taste the medicine folks, its a little bitter.

Speaking of bitter...

Actually, if worded "correctly", the statements are not in conflict.

I said the other day that I believe that 2/3 of the Fire buyers wouldn't buy an iPad in the first place. So that leaves a full 1/3 who are either buying both or have a chance of buying the iPad in the future. The other 2/3 were never going to buy an iPad so are inconsequential to Apple at this time but in the future the Fire may prove to be a gateway drug to a more full featured tablet.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually... if he hit 798 it would be a disappointment.

That would be a closer analogy to Apple and its relationship with the investment community.

Disappointing seems to be the new catchphrase to describe all things Apple. Apple seems to be disappointing everyone lately. I'm surprised that anyone is buying or holding Apple shares at this point. Would anyone happen to know which company is not disappointing Wall Street, so I can pick up a few shares and not be disappointed?

Has ExxonMobil been disappointing any investors lately or have they managed to pump up more oil out of the ground at an accelerated rate?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Disappointing seems to be the new catchphrase to describe all things Apple. Apple seems to be disappointing everyone lately. I'm surprised that anyone is buying or holding Apple shares at this point. Would anyone happen to know which company is not disappointing Wall Street, so I can pick up a few shares and not be disappointed?

Has ExxonMobil been disappointing any investors lately or have they managed to pump up more oil out of the ground at an accelerated rate?

The great thing about AAPL is that it's not only a good long term investment but it's also great for swing trading.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

No conflict at all. Both statements could be correct.

They would not have bought an iPad if they weren't introduced to tablet computing with something cheap. But once they are introduced to tablet computing, they might decide to spend more on a better tablet.

Think of it like golf clubs. Very few people would buy Ping clubs for their first set of clubs. It doesn't make sense to drop a grand on clubs, so Ping can safely assume that first-time buyers are not their customers.

However, someone who buys cheapie clubs and then likes the game, might well upgrade to Ping clubs at a later date.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

... everyone is certain there is a new iPad in January....

I'd be surprised to see an iPad in January...

I have an iPad 1 and will probably buy the next model.

But I am thinking March timeframe for an "iPad 3"...only because Fall '12 seems to be too long of a delay since the iPad 2.

And I figure a June timeframe for a new iPhone.

But I could be just pulling months outta my butt
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

?everyone is certain there is a new iPad in January?

I don't know a single person who expects an iPad in January. There has never been an iPad in January.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Some of us are waiting to spend our money on iPads with retina displays.

A WHAT?! Why on earth would you think there will be such a thing? Apple had never said such a product exists. You might as well wait for the version that's powered by the miniature cold fusion reactor

All rumors do is hurt Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I don't recall Wu recommending to get out of APPL and buying RIMM

Actually, it would have been great advice to sell off APPL and short RIMM
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A WHAT?! Why on earth would you think there will be such a thing? Apple had never said such a product exists. You might as well wait for the version that's powered by the miniature cold fusion reactor

All rumors do is hurt Apple.

Boy, are YOU on the wrong site, then.

Seriously though. I already have the first iPad and am happy with it. My only complaint is I'd prefer the sharpness of a retina display for long periods of reading. It's great on my iPhone 4 but the form factor is not what I want for reading books and technical manuals.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

only for apple would record setting profit numbers and sales/shipments would be disappointing.

let's see this in other fields: baseball, A-Rod is projected to hit 800 HR in his career. If he "only" breaks Barry's record with 760, it would be a disappointment.

Lol. I feel that right now is a very turbulent time for Apple, more-so for the manipulative world of AAPL than the actual Company (which is all that really matters, shouldn't it be?). It seems like APPLE is pulling off this transitional period very well, with ultimate grace, while the vultures who run AAPL (Wall Street cronies, since Apple seemingly pays no attention to the Stock) are spewing all kinds of manipulation and headline-grabbers, etc.

However, in the near-long term, this will turn for them, and help them I think. Reason being that Apple is somewhat rendered as an underdog again.... well, at least some are trying to scare you into thinking that. The "new team" (which is the tried and true old team) has to prove that things are running according to plan, which takes a Product launch or two, and a strong Earnings or two, to get people to feel the warm and fuzzies. Without Steve Jobs at the helm, W.S is clearly trying to paint a picture that Apple might now have its "it factor" anymore, and all they need to do is prove that wrong in order for the sheep to shut up and get back behind them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I heard from a source in China, who I cannot reveal, that Chinese Big Macs are selling more than iPads.... Fear strikes AAPL investors.

Quote:

Wow. What is it with these bitter "anti-Apple" types? You guys get so personal, almost like evil-envy, you'd wish that the worlds smartest investment and best run/most successful companies goes down in shambles and takes its smart Investors down with it?

The Kindle is fine for what it is, but it's like comparing an entry level Honda VS a top of the line Mercedes. Let's just leave it at that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

You called it perfectly. It doesn't matter how much money Apple makes overall per quarter. It only matters that individual product unit sales expectations are reached. A miss on any one product will be a major disappointment to Wall Street and that will set up for a drop in Apple's share price. It doesn't even matter if high sales of one product offsets the lower sales of another product. Apple must meet and preferably beat every sales expectation of every product in order to boost share price. Those type of expectations make it almost impossible for Apple to beat because it's too specific and arbitrary at the same time. Case in point is if Apple introduced a new MacBook Air that may sap sales from the iPad, WS will just say that iPad sales were down and too bad as iPad sales expectations were missed.

I don't think any other company is under that type of manipulative scrutiny. Maybe Apple should stop disclosing individual product sales like Amazon does with the Kindle.

That's a good suggestion! Apple should keep it simple, which is maybe announced TOTAL sales, and just Sales numbers. Stick it to Wall Street and only reveal the big pictures, take the manipulators out by the knees, as they won't be able to run these headlines about "slipping iPad sales" or whatnot. Apple's overall numbers should only do the talking, think about how much that would help the Stock.