Apple could pay $1.5B to Chinese company in iPad trademark lawsuit

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do you get that figure from? If you add up all the payments across the board Apple Corp could have actually paid Apple Computer more money in the end.

I read it from Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The Chinese are crooks. They can't innovate anything themselves so they have to steal everything, including names. Apple should have never gone into China to sell products.

Kind of sounds like Microsoft and Google to me
  • Reply 43 of 60
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Even though China is a huge market, Apple should just stop selling "i" everything there. It should also stop manufacturing in China also. If the Chinese don't want to play fair then they shouldn't get to play at all.

So it is fair for Apple to come in and sue to take what is not theirs?
  • Reply 44 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

So it is fair for Apple to come in and sue to take what is not theirs?

Apple claims that it IS theres. And if you read the quote from Proview's executive, that appears reasonable. If you bought the global rights to something, wouldn't you expect that to include China?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeliu58 View Post

Chinese law system is very different than western world. A judge is just another government clerk. The ruling is based on 1)relationship, 2) reasoning, 3) law. In other words, obeying law is not necessary. I have seen a defender yelling at the judge for not ruling for her. Image that in US? Ha! Ha! All Apple has to do is called Mr. Locke and make it a political problem. All law suits will go away. Politic is also above the law.

That is absolutely true - but China is making an honest effort to clean things up at the higher levels. Expect this to be appealed quickly.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The Chinese are crooks. They can't innovate anything themselves so they have to steal everything, including names. Apple should have never gone into China to sell products.

Didn't you know? They invented everything except the fork
  • Reply 46 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Didn't you know? They invented everything except the fork

I believe the Chinese did invent the fork, they just didn't use it as an eating utensil
  • Reply 47 of 60
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I find this interesting. How come something important like this was overlooked?! I know these types of transactions are tens of pages long but how the hell did they miss something like "including rights in China"?! Maybe it is time Apple look for another IP lawyers in Taiwan and China.

This story needs more research. From a story on MacNN:

"Proview originally tried to sell a tablet computer in 2000, and registered trademarks for IPAD in regions around the world. Proview Electronics sold Apple a "global trademark" for the name in 2006 at a cost approaching $55,000, but since then Apple and Proview have disputed whether the agreement included China. In 2010 Apple applied to have two Chinese trademarks transferred to its name before it started selling the iPad, but was denied because of Proview Technlogy's ownership, prompting the lawsuit."
  • Reply 48 of 60
    just change the name to MacPad for china only and pass the additional cost for the name change to the chinese consumer. problem solved.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

$1.5B for a damn product name?

Put yourself in another persons's shoes.

Apple asking for $1.5 Billion to sell the "iPad" name...

would that sound ridiculous to you?

I think not.

If Apple doesnt pay up, all China has to do is forcibly shut down its partners production line in China stopping all of Apple's products.

See how easily manipulative China can get?

Therefore, BUILD A FREAKING US PLANT WITH ALL THOSE SUPPOSEDLY BILLIONS OF "CASH" ( actually $10B in cash and $70B in short and long term securities which are not really "cash" but "cash equivalents" as they arent as liquidable as cash )
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I think not

Yeah, that's ridiculous. You're the kind of mentality that sues companies like Apple because of soem minor issue, aren't you?

Quote:

If Apple doesnt pay up, all China has to do is forcibly shut down its partners production line in China stopping all of Apple's products.

In the first sentence you create a scenario.

In the second sentence you've oddly deemed that scenario as proof of how horrible China is.

Quote:

Therefore, BUILD A FREAKING US PLANT WITH ALL THOSE SUPPOSEDLY BILLIONS OF "CASH" ( actually $10B in cash and $70B in short and long term securities which are not really "cash" but "cash equivalents" as they arent as liquidable as cash )

And here's the clincher! You've come up with an even dumber conclusion that suggests building iPads in the US for 10x their current cost would somehow resolve an issue about selling the iPad in China. Let's not forget that it's not just final manufacturing that happening in China (and Brazil) but most components are not made in the US.

But hey, Apple has the burn so they should just waste it all like their competitors making dumb business decisions¡
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Just a reminder Apple fans:

1) "iPad" licensed from Toshiba

2) "iPhone" licensed from Cisco

• Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:

Yeah, that's ridiculous. You're the kind of mentality that sues companies like Apple because of soem minor issue, aren't you?

In the first sentence you create a scenario.

In the second sentence you've oddly deemed that scenario as proof of how horrible China is.

And here's the clincher! You've come up with an even dumber conclusion that suggests building iPads in the US for 10x their current cost would somehow resolve an issue about selling the iPad in China. Let's not forget that it's not just final manufacturing that happening in China (and Brazil) but most components are not made in the US.

But hey, Apple has the burn so they should just waste it all like their competitors making dumb business decisions¡

Apple is an AMERICAN company.

They have no components made outside of America. NONE!

Who cares about China. Leave that country alone.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:

I'm sorry, all the hard drives, chips, graphics cards, fans, cases? they're all made here, shipped to China, and then shipped back?
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Apple is an AMERICAN company.

Who cares about China. Leave that country alone.

I care about China. I care about all nations. I prefer to look at the world as a whole, not a bunch people I've been taught to hate because of some artificial boundary lines and variances in cultural behaviours. If you want to be a bigot, go right ahead, it's your choice, but I'm thankful I live in a world where various nations can work together to create insanely great products.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    In China, just call it the iPod Plus and be done with it.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

In China, just call it the iPod Plus and be done with it.

That would still be a violation of the brand name if Apple's agreement doesn't include China.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Yes, totally agree. Apple should setup ipad factories in the U.S.

But Apple will have to either double the ipad price or live on a paper thin profit.

Apple wants neither...

Quote:

I think not.

• Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Yes, totally agree. Apple should setup ipad factories in the U.S.

But Apple will have to either double the ipad price or live on a paper thin profit.

Apple wants neither...

Doubling wouldn't even come close being the cost for an iPad that was entirely made in the US. There are components in there from dozens of countries around the world. Components that Apple couldn't just make in the US, but would have to reverse engineer or license, both of which may not be possible. It's just not feasible.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:

...I want to know what products they were actively selling under those names over the last decade for each of those countries. These aren't patents you can sit on, if you don't use a trademark you can lose it.

I learned a bit about Chinese Copyright/Trademark law recently. My good friend of more than 20 years has been manufacturing in China for about 8 years. Well, recently they found out that a Chinese firm (that offered to buy them out and my friend declined) filed some paperwork with the gov't... Now the Chinese firm owns the names to a couple of their products... and their company name! (So he is left appealing and perhaps buying them back because of the mistake... This is the top line of the incident without the details...).

The point being ? it is my understanding - the producing a product is NOT required to hold the rights to it. "Paperwork" is the key. Period.

Now, my friend will (hopefully) get this resolved with a legal team from his Chinese manufacturing partner.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Look, it's like, a son of a prominent Communist Party official owns a trademark. A Chinese court will rule in his favor. Therefore Apple can either obey Chinese courts or the hurt will be put on them until they do. Of course, this kind of lawsuit in China is ridiculous, but when the aggrieved party is a connected person, there is probably nothing Apple Inc can do. They are probably the most capable Western entity in such a situation. But I really doubt even they have traction.