Apple email users see nationwide issues with Comcast, Roadrunner addresses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Me.com and .mac account holders from Hawaii to Florida have seen sporadic issues with email originating from Comcast and Roadrunner domains, some messages have been arriving late while others are not being delivered at all.

According to a thread on the Apple Support Community started on Monday, a number of emails sent to Apple addresses have failed to arrive, with forum members discovering that the issue lies with messages originating from Comcast and Roadrunner domains. Outgoing messages are currently unaffected.

Users are reporting that the Mac Mail, iPhone and online clients are all affected, including those not yet transitioned to iCloud.

Some claim that because affected ISPs are spread across the country and problems are contained to only Comcast and Roadrunner accounts, the issue could be with Apple's servers. Community reports also note that Apple support representatives are aware of the problem, though the company has not yet acknowledged culpability.

Forum members have found that forwarding incoming mail to another account may be a temporary fix, though the workaround is not a universal solution.

The issues comes less than two months after AppleInsider reported MobileMe users were having trouble migrating their accounts and syncing data with iCloud in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I have a customer who recently had an issue with email delays from comcast to their own exchange server - no apple products involved anywhere - and it was at least in part because the comcast email server was on several blacklists.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I have a customer who recently had an issue with email delays from comcast to their own exchange server - no apple products involved anywhere - and it was at least in part because the comcast email server was on several blacklists.

Doesn't that say some thing about Comcast that an official isp server is on a black list?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some claim that because affected ISPs are spread across the country and problems are contained to only Comcast and Roadrunner accounts, the issue could be with Apple's servers. Community reports also note that Apple support representatives are aware of the problem, though the company has not yet acknowledged culpability.

Once everybody standardizes on iCloud this will no longer be a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I know what the problem is!! They are using their ISP's email service!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

I know what the problem is!! They are using their ISP's email service!!!!

Roadrunner is the only ISP serving in my neck of the woods. I have MobileMe mail. How am I suppose to know if someone is trying to email me?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I've been having this issue with my Comcast account forwarding to me.com:

**This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. *****

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 13.7 hour(s):

** [email protected]

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently.

Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.59.227] Received-From-MTA: dns; imta19.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.15] Arrival-Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:44:30 +0000 Final-recipient; [email protected] Action: delayed Status: 4.1.1 Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 421 Too many recipient errors, try again later. Contact [email protected] if you feel this is in error. Last-attempt-Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:23:45 +0000
  • Reply 7 of 16
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Who still uses an ISP POP3 email service when there are much better options out there?

But it's FREE!! ...yeah, so is everything else.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Here's a 29-page thread on the Best Buy forums related to people whose iTunes gift codes were filtered out by Apple's spam filters. Almost all the people on the thread verified that they had the code sent to a mac.com or me.com address. A week after my purchase, the code finally showed up in my me.com account. The headers on the message indicated that it was sent about 10 minutes after I ordered it and had been been flagged as spam by Apple's filters.

While Best Buy's customer service was horrible, the issue was caused by Apple's overzealous spam filters. The vast majority of people who do not use MobileMe or iCloud received their gift codes within a half hour.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I had trouble with an email from a Verizon.net address. An 8 MB video file wasn't delivered until 3 hours after it was sent.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Roadrunner is the only ISP serving in my neck of the woods. I have MobileMe mail. How am I suppose to know if someone is trying to email me?

Yeah. We had a minor family dustup over who did not get notified about a baby's birth. I was one of the ones who did not receive the notification (despite others saying they saw my name on the list).

I have to suspect that it is a Comcast or Roadrunner issue... This blows!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Shenanigans. This is why we need network neutrality!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

I've been having this issue with my Comcast account forwarding to me.com:

**This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. *****

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 13.7 hour(s):

** [email protected]

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently.

Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.59.227] Received-From-MTA: dns; imta19.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.15] Arrival-Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:44:30 +0000 Final-recipient; [email protected] Action: delayed Status: 4.1.1 Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 421 Too many recipient errors, try again later. Contact [email protected] if you feel this is in error. Last-attempt-Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:23:45 +0000

that email server is also on multiple blacklists -

Checking 76.96.59.227 against 106 known blacklists...

Listed 2 times with 5 timeouts.

BlacklistStatusReasonTTLResponseTime

NIXSPAM LISTEDDetail Return codes were: 127.0.0.260296

SORBS-SPAM LISTEDDetail Return codes were: 127.0.0.63599468

go to http://www.mxtoolbox.com and type in blacklist:76.96.59.227 in the command box and click the button (they have other tools as well).

in the case of the sender to my customer - that Comcast email server has since been removed from two of the three blacklists.

I believe the way it works is that the receiving email server checks with the blacklist and refuses email from all senders from that IP - unless perhaps you have an allow recipient rule set up (or maybe this is in the anti-spam filter versus the email server itself). In any case, as far as I can tell, it is not a fault of the receiving email system and not necessarily even the fault of the sending system - but rather a deliberate or compromised system sending too much spam and getting a server blacklisted which then affects mail delivery for all users on that server.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Exactly, and this is NOT new. My mom (in MA) used to have a comcast.net, as does my aunt (in WA). I would send out updates/pictures to a list of people, and they were the only two who did not get them. Everyone on not Comcast email got the emails.

Very strange that the issue remains Apple/Comcast.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah. We had a minor family dustup over who did not get notified about a baby's birth. I was one of the ones who did not receive the notification (despite others saying they saw my name on the list).

I have to suspect that it is a Comcast or Roadrunner issue... This blows!

Well why is your wife emailing you about the birth of your own child anyway? You shoudl talk to each other.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    For several days now, messages sent from Earthlink, and specifically from the Mindspring domain (which is the original ISP/email domain for the Earthlink parent company) don't show up in my .me account email.

It's particularly interesting because a number of prominent media folks have longstanding Mindspring accounts.

Many radio / TV hosts got 'em back in the day, and kept 'em because once you have several thousand outgoing emails on Mindspring, ya pretty much gotta stay with them!

Anyway, emails sent from Earthlink and Mindspring -- at least some of them, as I can testify -- are being refused and bounced with ".me server does not respond" messages. Not happy about that.
  • Reply 16 of 16

This is happening again, January 2013.  Nationwide, Time-Warner (RoadRunner) cable Internet users can't send E-mail to me.com, mac.com, or iCloud.com addresses.  There are numerous Apple forum threads on it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4745336

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4742210

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21036439