Apple's iPad 3 will be slightly thicker with same screen size - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Perhaps Apple will have two models, iPad 3 and the iPad 3 Pro with Retina Display.

Drop the price from iPad 2 by $50 for each model of the iPad 3.

Increase the price from iPad 2 by $50 for each model of the iPad 3 Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Perhaps Apple will have two models, iPad 3 and the iPad 3 Pro with Retina Display.

This was said prior to the iPhone 4's introduction, too. You can see why it seems a bit odd.

Quote:

Drop the price from iPad 2 by $50 for each model of the iPad 3.

Fifty? I'm thinking 16GB iPad 2 at $399 with the rest filling in the appropriate places.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    So, if this is somehow Truth, then Apple will have thinned the iPad 1 down to the iPad 2 thickness so they could have some sort of brainstorm and decide to thicken it up again?

What part of this reasoning sounds distinctly non-Apple and complete BS to you?

Was it that they wanted every non-Apple back protector to be instantly obsolete? Is their new 1080p camera just too darned deep, so they're adding millimeters? Are the world's iPad users just fed up with that damn flat back?

During the run up to the iPhone 4S, the oh, so reliable rumor mill didn't even have the number in its name right, and all the photos, covers, and specs released provided the tech sites with a perfect storm of wrong, wrong, wrong.

Anybody who takes this rumor as gospel deserves to be fooled twice.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fifty? I'm thinking 16GB iPad 2 at $399 with the rest filling in the appropriate places.

You mean the iPad 2 price like the iPad 1 is priced in the refurbished section after the iPad 3 arrives?

I think if Apple does a $399 tablet (which is what Asus and others have accomplished with 16GB NAND) it won't be a refurb, but an iPad 3 with the A6 but now Retina Display.

Perhaps something like this:
    iPad 3 WiFi

— 16GB = $399

— 32GB = $499

— 64GB = $599

iPad 3 3G+WiFi

— 16GB = $529

— 32GB = $629

— 64GB = $729

iPad 3 HD WiFi

— 32GB = $599

— 64GB = $699

iPad 3 HD 3G+WiFi

— 32GB = $729

— 64GB = $829
    All 3G iPads are world mode to help reduce SKUs from 18 to 11. However, I'm not sure how well that will work in practice as I think the iPhone 4S is still boxed up per US carrier in stores.

Then there is always the consideration of no dropping below $499 as the base price but doubling the NAND across the board which would look like this:
    iPad 3 WiFi

— 32GB = $499

— 64GB = $599

— 128GB = $699

iPad 3 3G+WiFi

— 32GB = $629

— 64GB = $729

— 128GB = $829

iPad 3 HD WiFi

— 64GB = $699

— 128GB = $799

iPad 3 HD 3G+WiFi

— 64GB = $829

— 128GB = $929
    That said, if they can double the NAND that would allow for a new entry level 16GB iPad 3 WiFi for $399 that would open up the bottom of the market pyramid while still making a great profit.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Thicker? Possibly.

Butt ugly? Not a fucking chance.

What the hell is that thing?!
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post

So, if this is somehow Truth, then Apple will have thinned the iPad 1 down to the iPad 2 thickness so they could have some sort of brainstorm and decide to thicken it up again?

What part of this reasoning sounds distinctly non-Apple and complete BS to you?

Was it that they wanted every non-Apple back protector to be instantly obsolete? Is their new 1080p camera just too darned deep, so they're adding millimeters? Are the world's iPad users just fed up with that damn flat back?

During the run up to the iPhone 4S, the oh, so reliable rumor mill didn't even have the number in its name right, and all the photos, covers, and specs released provided the tech sites with a perfect storm of wrong, wrong, wrong.

Anybody who takes this rumor as gospel deserves to be fooled twice.

You'd think they would have planned ahead for a contingency that would require them to use a thicker display and backlight for their next release? but may not. Perhaps the HiDPI tech was still far from certain when the iPad 2 was finalized.

Note that the iPhone 3G and 3GS are technically THICKER than the original iPhone. Overall their volume is likely slightly less and they do feel thinner do to having thinner edges, but they are technically thicker at its thickest point.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

No thinner, no wait thicker, no wait...

Well, obviously it will be thincker...
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I'd rather have a thinner and lighter iPad 3 with the quad core A6 and no high res screen. I don't have a problem with the display. What matters to me is making it as thin and light as possible at this stage with more power under the hood.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I'd rather have a thinner and lighter iPad 3 with the quad core A6 and no high res screen. I don't have a problem with the display. What I care about is them making it as thin and light as possible at this stage with more power under the hood.

I don't think the dual-core Cortex-A15 will be ready for the next iPad, but what about the next iPhone? Would quad-core Cortex-A9 or dual-Core Cortex-15 be best for these these types of CE?
  • Reply 30 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, obviously it will be thincker...

thincker differenter?
  • Reply 31 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

TJMaxx reportedly had them at $399 this past weekend. I didn't verify it myself in-store, but it was written up at 9to5.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The ip4s is thicker than the ip4, no?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The ip4s is thicker than the ip4, no?

No, it's identical.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    I don't think apple has ever made anything "thicker!"
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don't think apple has ever made anything "thicker!"

iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

That thing looks pregnant.

Or it looks safe.

Quote:

And we heard the rumor before it will be slightly thicker to accommodate a second LED bar - needed because a higher res screen needs more light.

I hate to say this but iPad could use a manual brightness control just like the volume control.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hate to say this but iPad could use a manual brightness control just like the volume control.

I'm not keen on the idea of physical buttons on the iPad for adjusting brightness. I think the Home Button double-tap swipe to the right to get to the brightness controls is a pretty decent solution.

Ideally I'd like to see a solution that can be worked without knowing what's on the display, like when you have it turned all the way down before a movie starts and then attempt to use it in direct sunlight right after the movie. What I'm thinking is a circular motion on the Lock and Home Screens. After the first rotation clockwise it starts to brighten, counterclockwise to dim, and can be sped up if your acceleration increases.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple has never purposely taken a step back in development and I don't believe their DNA will allow it. It they do then you know the Jobs era has truly ended. Jobs was not about compromise on quality, design, or aesthetics.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

No, it's identical.

Oh yeah, it's the white ip4 which is .2 mm thicker than the black one. The point being that it might be thicker but the difference may be irrelevant. Weight is more important IMO.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There should be some kind of penalty for gossipy people and analysts who like to start rumors about Apple that turn out to be false.

Duh, the penalty should be NO COVERAGE FROM APPLEINSIDER! Why is AI wasting bits on these bozos?