Apple adds night reading theme, full screen mode to iBooks with 1.5 update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess you're talking about an iPhone. I just assumed that people were talking about iPads in this thread, but I suppose that some people use iBooks on their iPhone also.

FWIW, I do.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    @ Apple ][ I had never noticed your signature's issue : you do realize that both chimps and Neanderthal have/had amazing intellectual capacities, building tools to make tools, having elaborate politics... and you can't sandwich something BETWEEN them, they're not on the same branch of the great-ape tree. I proudly stand on a third branch, by the way, what about you?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

@ Apple ][ I had never noticed your signature's issue : you do realize that both chimps and Neanderthal have/had amazing intellectual capacities, building tools to make tools, having elaborate politics... and you can't sandwich something BETWEEN them, they're not on the same branch of the great-ape tree. I proudly stand on a third branch, by the way, what about you?

I actually agree with you. I never had a sig before a couple of days ago when I decided to quickly come up with one. I did some quick research right now and you're correct.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics

I also feel that the sig doesn't put Fandroids in as bad a light as I feel they deserve to be put in, so I will modify the sig later on, and I will come up with something that is both scientifically accurate and also quite demeaning to Fandroids everywhere. That is my simple goal.

But thanks for pointing that out.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    The "book look" (as opposed to the full screen layout) is one of my favorite things about iBooks when compared to apps like Kindle, Nook, etc. I think Apple really nailed the look and feel of a real book (to the extent a virtual book can), and so there's no way I'm turning off that feature. But I like the night reading mode.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

On the iPad, full screen replaces the book look with the full page. Just grabs a little screen space back. A nice, subtle feature.

On a 54-page mini- e-book, the full-screen mode cut out four pages without the type looking any more crowded on the screen. Nice little improvement.

Other possible improvements:

1. I would be curious to hear what it would sound like for Siri to read a book to me, which could be great for listening in the car and then switching back to reading at home. The publishers may not allow it since they would want to protect their higher-margin audio books.

2. Picture books need on-screen notes -- mostly for making notes on e-book cookbooks.

3. An option to lock the app to portrait view without locking the device to portrait view.

iBooks is very close to be a max-featured app; much more feature creep would just junk it up. The only time I use the kindle app is when a book is significantly cheaper on kindle or not available for iBooks, which is a much more pleasant reading experience than the kindle app on both iPhone and iPad -- but particularly on iPhone where kindle's right-justified text is hard to read on the smaller screen.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    These are all great features!

I'm glad they are focusing on the quick ability to adjust the brightness...however I wish they would work on a way to quickly adjust the brightness from any app and in any screen. I am constantly having to go back and adjust the brightness all the time at night or on a long plane flight. The Auto brightness feature just doesn't cut it! In fact, I'm not even sure if it changes the brightness in Auto mode. I'm talking about both my iPhone and iPad. And actually, no my phone, it seems to dim the screen when it's really sunny and brighten it when it's dark...
  • Reply 27 of 40
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

[;2002714'

I also feel that the sig doesn't put Fandroids in as bad a light as I feel they deserve to be put in,

How about "Fandroids kill babies"?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

1. I would be curious to hear what it would sound like for Siri to read a book to me, which could be great for listening in the car and then switching back to reading at home. The publishers may not allow it since they would want to protect their higher-margin audio books.

Buying products and devices that incorporate DRM is just plain Evil.

• Reply 29 of 40
    What I'm dying to see is another option for tapping on the left margin besides paging back or paging forward. I want to turn the *#@ thing off! It's infuriating to have to be so sensitive on how I hold my iPad to read. I'm perfectly content to flick left and right to change pages. As it is, I look down sometimes and I've accidentally flicked back 20 pages because I was holding it 1/8" off the side of the iPad.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walueg View Post

What I'm dying to see is another option for tapping on the left margin besides paging back or paging forward. I want to turn the *#@ thing off! It's infuriating to have to be so sensitive on how I hold my iPad to read. I'm perfectly content to flick left and right to change pages. As it is, I look down sometimes and I've accidentally flicked back 20 pages because I was holding it 1/8" off the side of the iPad.

...and just think of all the negative comments made about how WIDE the bezel is when the iPad first came out. I have that same issue.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess you're talking about an iPhone. I just assumed that people were talking about iPads in this thread, but I suppose that some people use iBooks on their iPhone also.

All I know is that iOS upgrades are a one-way street. If version 5.0.1 drains the battery faster than 4 did, and it's something drastic like -10% every hour while asleep, then I would be very concerned. A little drain is expected because of iCloud, maybe some other features, but it should not turn my iPhone 4 into a Galaxy Trashcan or HTC Battery Gulper 4G. The iPhone 4 was a huge improvement in battery life over my old 3GS, and I don't want to go back to the 3GS days of a full charge not making it through the day, and having to plug it in everywhere I went. Recharging just once per day is the usability sweet spot for me. If that means giving up having iCloud for a while, that's fine. MobileMe will continue to sync up my contacts and calendar and bookmarks for the time being. I just want to hear both Apple and users say "this iOS update really fixes the battery issues for everyone" before upgrading.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kermit262 View Post

The "book look" (as opposed to the full screen layout) is one of my favorite things about iBooks when compared to apps like Kindle, Nook, etc. I think Apple really nailed the look and feel of a real book (to the extent a virtual book can), and so there's no way I'm turning off that feature. But I like the night reading mode.

I would like the book look a lot more if it showed you were in the book by proportionally altering the thickness of the edges, and if it were a bit more subtle and photo-realistic. Always having it look like you are in the middle of the book offers the reader no pertinent information and the slightly heavy-handed cartoonish look detracts from it's appeal for me.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    And still no iBook Store in New Zealand.

Kindle's reader sucks compared to iBooks but I can't get books any other way... legally.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Ibooks is probably my most used app too.

There is something I would like to see added, that I miss from my old windows XP pdf reader.

The ability to put the pages into a slow autoscroll.

I'll find a scrolling speed that is comfortable, sit back with arms folded (or behind head) and read.

It occurred to me that if the scrolling speed could be calculated against the length of the book, it should be able to tell you exactly how long it will take you to read it (or each chapter).

Do any ebook readers offer that currently ?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

It occurred to me that if the scrolling speed could be calculated against the length of the book, it should be able to tell you exactly how long it will take you to read it (or each chapter).?

I'm sorry, I take issue with my computer thinking it can tell me how fast I read, thank you very much.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member

1. I would be curious to hear what it would sound like for Siri to read a book to me, which could be great for listening in the car and then switching back to reading at home.
    You can actually do this already... kinda... I'm on an iPhone 4, so I don't even have Siri yet but here is how I have done it.

Go into Settings> General> Accessability> Speak Selection> On.

Then back in iBooks select a few paragraphs and you are presented with a "Speak" option, the book is then read aloud to you.

Interestingly, I tried this last week when I first turned accessability on, and it never gave me the speak option, but with the new iBooks update you can now do it. Maybe they are testing the waters for a future Siri update.

Only downside is that it'll only read what is selected, and the maximum you can select is one page at a time. So not as easy as just Siri reading the whole book to you, but certainly a step in the right direction.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrynlowe View Post

And still no iBook Store in New Zealand.

Kindle's reader sucks compared to iBooks but I can't get books any other way... legally.

That's no good - it will be a licensing issue. Anyone know for sure?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Ibooks is probably my most used app too.

There is something I would like to see added, that I miss from my old windows XP pdf reader.

The ability to put the pages into a slow autoscroll.

I'll find a scrolling speed that is comfortable, sit back with arms folded (or behind head) and read.

It occurred to me that if the scrolling speed could be calculated against the length of the book, it should be able to tell you exactly how long it will take you to read it (or each chapter).

Do any ebook readers offer that currently ?

Nice! (Visions of Commander Data scrolling pages lol.)
  • Reply 39 of 40
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    wake me when I can ditch the idiotic "page flipping" metaphor and scroll text. Double bonus if I can set the text to auto-scroll with a quick way to adjust the scrolling speed.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If version 5.0.1 drains the battery faster than 4 did

I'm getting better battery life than iOS4. The faster performance of it probably let's the CPU sleep more often and more quickly.

Quote:

and it's something drastic like -10% every hour while asleep

Why wouldn't you have your phone charging while you sleep?!?

Quote:

it should not turn my iPhone 4 into a Galaxy Trashcan or HTC Battery Gulper 4G. The iPhone 4 was a huge improvement in battery life over my old 3GS, and I don't want to go back to the 3GS days of a full charge not making it through the day

Welp, hasn't happened for me on my work provided 3GS, iPhone 4, or three day old iPhone 4S. You might be reading more into problems that certain phones are having. It's far from widespread.

Quote:

I just want to hear both Apple and users say "this iOS update really fixes the battery issues for everyone" before upgrading.

Meh - even if I were experiencing battery issues, I'd rather have iOS5 and the new Mophie JuicePack Air than live without the improvements of iOS5 - chief of them being wifi sync. Which happens automatically every night when I plug my phone in for the night