Google exec expects 'majority' of TVs to have Google TV in 2012

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Even as rumors of an Apple television set continue to swirl, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has claimed that company's Google TV platform will be embedded on the "majority" of televisions in stores by next summer.

The former Google CEO made the bold prediction while speaking at the Le Web conference in France this week, paidContent reports. The Mountain View, Calif., search giant recently relaunched Google TV with a major software update that brings more apps to the platform.

?By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded in it," he said.

Google TV wasn't the only product that Schmidt issued predictions for at the conference. The executive said on Wednesday that developers will favor Android over iOS within six months time. Citing the mobile platform's high volume of sales, Schmidt told developers that they would want to support Android "whether [they] like Ice Cream Sandwich or not."

Google faces numerous obstacles on the way to a majority share of the connected TV market. The company's original launch partners struggled to move excess inventory last year after Google TV was panned by critics. Sony had to cut prices on its own Google TV offerings after disappointing sales.

Logitech recently revealed that fumbles with its Google TV set-top box cost the company $100 million in operating profits. CEO Guerrino De Luca said his company will sit "on the bench" while Google improves the product.

After last year's struggles, Google may have a hard time convincing HDTV makers to adopt the Android-based platform, especially since a number of vendors have developed their own competing "smart TV" platforms. South Korea's Samsung unveiled a "digital hub" strategy earlier this year that centers around cloud-based televisions. Panasonic and Sony have also designed their own interfaces for their sets.

Though Google TV was largely seen as a challenge to Apple's $99 Apple TV set-top box, recent rumors of an Apple-designed connected television could portend an upcoming battle over the living room. Whereas the Apple TV has remained little more than a hobby, albeit a successful one, for Apple, a full-blown Apple television could crack open a $100 billion market for the company.

Steve Jobs' biographer Walter Isaacson resparked speculation regarding an Apple television when he revealed that the late Apple co-founder had admitted to having cracked the secret to a "simple and elegant" television interface.

At the least, Apple's rivals are preparing for the competition. Sony CEO Howard Stringer has said he has "no doubt" that Jobs was working to reinvent the television. Stringer said last month that he had spent the last five years "building a platform" to compete with Jobs.

Recent reports have suggested that Apple will release the rumored television set in late 2012. Japanese sources reportedly claimed this week that a "major Japanese company" is involved in manufacturing the set, which is believed to have three screen sizes ranging from 32 inches to 55 inches. Analyst Brian Blair of Wedge Partners weighed in on Wednesday with the prediction that Apple will release an iMac computer with built-in TV functionality in the first half of 2012 as a stepping stone to the full television set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded in it," he said.

Colour me skeptical. Are the majority of TVs in stores, now, installed with some smart TV software? The high-end ones show, but there are a lot more TVs than those in stores.
  • Reply 2 of 159
    At this point, I have more faith in Microsoft doing TV apps via the Xbox 360 than Google doing apps through Google TV.
  • Reply 3 of 159
    This is madness!

All the major manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Sony etc) have their own "Smart TV" platforms.

There would have to be some significant looming outside threat from a company able to disrupt their existing business for them to throw out their own platforms and coalesce around Android as the defacto standard for Smart TV's.
  • Reply 4 of 159
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Hmmm.... When says, the majority ?in stores,? does he means the TVs left sitting in stores because nobody is taking them home?
  • Reply 5 of 159
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    We'r Google we think our stuff don't stink. TV Manufacturers are gonna want us to be IN their TV's. We are gonna be every where. We'r in your Computer, Portable device, phones and now your TV's. Hoo hahahaha. You have been warned. Some day we will be in your head.
  • Reply 6 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

This is madness!

• Reply 7 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google TV wasn't the only product that Schmidt issued predictions for at the conference. The executive said on Wednesday that developers will favor Android over iOS within six months time. Citing the mobile platform's high volume of sales, Schmidt told developers that they would support Android "whether [they] like it or not."

Except, that's not what he said.

"Whether you like Ice Cream Sandwich or not, you will want to develop for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n5Ypio#t=2595s
  • Reply 8 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Colour me skeptical. Are the majority of TVs in stores, now, installed with some smart TV software? The high-end ones show, but there are a lot more TVs than those in stores.

It's not hard to imagine most TV's being "Smart TV's" by the end of 2012.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

At this point, I have more faith in Microsoft doing TV apps via the Xbox 360 than Google doing apps through Google TV.

I've got no doubt Microsoft will offer a better user experience. That's kind of beside the point though, this is about what comes built-in with your TV. So it's more Google TV vs each TV's manufacturers Smart TV platform than Google TV vs Xbox.
  • Reply 9 of 159
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a bold prediction and unlikely timeline. But he must have made some deals with TV manufacturers already, to even have said it at all.
  • Reply 10 of 159
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Utter BS. Look at the number of TVs sold below US$250. Unless some new subsidised model appears really soon and is accepted by consumers en mass then the numbers don't add up. BOM costs matter Eric
  • Reply 11 of 159
    Quote:

It's not hard to imagine most TV's being "Smart TV's" by the end of 2012.

Aren't we just now over 50% market for HDTVs? Why do you think that most TVs, which include tiny little handheld TVs of just a few inches to 65+ HDTVs will all have the HW and SW to be smart TVs. If you said that the majority of HDTVs would be smart I could see that a possibility, but not most. If you said that HDTVs over say 32" would mostly be smart I could see that a possibility. I don't see how Google will be on most of all TVs in all stores. It's just not going to happen in that time frame.
  • Reply 12 of 159
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

This is madness!

All the major manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Sony etc) have their own "Smart TV" platforms.

There would have to be some significant looming outside threat from a company able to disrupt their existing business for them to throw out their own platforms and coalesce around Android as the defacto standard for Smart TV's.

You sound like the critics when Apple was rumored to deliver the iPod that said "Every manufacturer already has an mp3 player". You are missing the big point.

Yes, every manufacturer has some kind of Smart TV, but they are still clunky at best. I have a new Samsung that has multiple streaming issues, the 3D piece is a joke, and without my Apple TV, forget about it being aligned with all of my devices. So in essence, what's in place is a major fail, and the television manufacturers haven't treated the entire home experience seriously until Apple began looking at it. Sony had all of the advantages, and stood by and did virtually nothing. For the most part, LCD offerings haven't changed much in 4 years. My old Samsung and Blu ray player can do everything the current TV's do now.

With the infrastructure that Apple brings to the table, the experience will be completely new, simple to use, and holistic across all devices in the home. With the intro of iCloud, all of the pieces are in place to make it happen. Looks like Sharp will be manufacturing the panels and producing the sets, which is outstanding.

Better buy up some AAPL now. Another industry is about to be reinvented right under your nose. Don't say I didn't tell you so.
  • Reply 13 of 159
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Pass the crack pipe, please.

Gotta be what they are smoking...
  • Reply 14 of 159
    . . .

After predicting more devs will choose Android, Schmidt predicts "Google TV platform will be embedded on the "majority" of televisions in stores by next summer"?!

LMAO!!!!

My goodness! This guy has one too many 'ice cream' lately!
  • Reply 15 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

You sound like the critics when Apple was rumored to deliver the iPod that said "Every manufacturer already has an mp3 player". You are missing the big point.

Yes, every manufacturer has some kind of Smart TV, but they are still clunky at best. I have a new Samsung that has multiple streaming issues, the 3D piece is a joke, and without my Apple TV, forget about it being aligned with all of my devices. So in essence, what's in place is a major fail, and the television manufacturers haven't treated the entire home experience seriously until Apple began looking at it. Sony had all of the advantages, and stood by and did virtually nothing. For the most part, LCD offerings haven't changed much in 4 years. My old Samsung and Blu ray player can do everything the current TV's do now.

With the infrastructure that Apple brings to the table, the experience will be completely new, simple to use, and holistic across all devices in the home. With the intro of iCloud, all of the pieces are in place to make it happen. Looks like Sharp will be manufacturing the panels and producing the sets, which is outstanding.

Better buy up some AAPL now. Another industry is about to be reinvented right under your nose. Don't say I didn't tell you so.

I think his last sentence may be implying that Apple is that outside looming threat that would make all the vendors want to get together to defend against Apple, even if it means partnering with Google for Android.
  • Reply 16 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Utter BS. Look at the number of TVs sold below US$250. Unless some new subsidised model appears really soon and is accepted by consumers en mass then the numbers don't add up. BOM costs matter Eric

You are completely wrong with your assumptions. According to iSuppli Research, 39.5% of all TV purchases in Q1 of 2011 were in the 40" - 49" range. 25.5% of all purchases were in the 30"-39" range, and 22.7% of purchases were in the 50" and larger range. This accounts for roughly 88% of all purchases, and the average price paid was $1,022 for LCD's and $2,373 for 3D LCD's.

So it does add up, and Apple is targeting these very customers with the new offering. Again, better buy some AAPL before you miss the train.
  • Reply 17 of 159
    Quote:

You are completely wrong with your assumptions. According to iSuppli Research, 39.5% of all TV purchases in Q1 of 2011 were in the 40" - 49" range. 25.5% of all purchases were in the 30"-39" range, and 22.7% of purchases were in the 50" and larger range. This accounts for roughly 88% of all purchases, and the average price paid was $1,022 for LCD's and $2,373 for 3D LCD's.

So it does add up, and Apple is targeting these very customers with the new offering. Again, better buy some AAPL before you miss the train.

Link?
  • Reply 18 of 159
    Quote:

You sound like the critics when Apple was rumoured to deliver the iPod that said "Every manufacturer already has an mp3 player". You are missing the big point.

I think you might have missed my point!

Quote:

Aren't we just now over 50% market for HDTVs?

Cool, then lets say it's not hard to imagine that most HDTV's over 32" will be "Smart TVs" by the end of 2012.

Do we have any numbers for TV sales? I thought the major manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Sony, Sharp) represented a vast majority of TV's being sold.
  • Reply 19 of 159
    Quote:

Link?

http://www.isuppli.com/display-mater...n-q1-2011.aspx
  • Reply 20 of 159
    Yeah, like I would want to buy a tv set hooked into that mess called Google. Sorry, I'm not gonna buy a tv that in all likelihood will have malware on it right out of the box. 😄