Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to arrive in February 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Rumors of a new iPad continue to grow, with Citigroup now saying Apple's next-generation tablet device is on schedule for a February, 2012 launch.

In a research note released on Thursday, Citigroup analyst Richard Gardner says that Apple will be ready to debut the next iteration of the company's hugely successful tablet as early as February, reports Business Insider.

Gardner notes that sources within Apple's Asian supply chain have seen increased iPad parts orders for the March quarter, attributing the ramp-up to the "launch of a new iPad with double the screen resolution on the current model."

The analyst cites several sources who have confirmed the early 2012 launch, and notes that "there do not appear to be any significant technical hurdles remaining" to meet a February release date.

Rumors have been swirling as to when an anticipated "Retina Display" iPad will break cover, with some alleging that Apple has seen technical setbacks in combining high-resolution panels with LED backlighting. Reports have claimed that the company will employ a dual-LED lighting system to overcome brightness issues seen by the high-dpi displays, which a November rumor indicated as possibly being IGZO panels sourced from Sharp.

The most recent rumors have come from an Asian supplier saying that the new tablet will sport a thicker case design than the iPad 2, but will retain the same 9.7-inch screen size allowing it to be compatible with existing Smart Covers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Here we go again.

Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy my iPad 2.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Sigh...(puts in pile of ignored rumors, because analyst are crazy)
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here we go again.

Yep, same here.

But just to save a few bucks, I'll hold off on spending the $69 on the (P)RODUCT RED leather smart-cover (I was getting a tad tired of the neon green) that I was planning to order as a stocking stuffer for myself....
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Hmmm..so many rumors about it coming in February. And I just got my iPad 2 a month ago...oh well..I still love it.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    My next bowel movement rumored to arrive within 5 minutes. Lets see which rumor has more truth to it.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Seems a little soon to me, but from a marketing perspective, the sooner the better. As Droid clones close the gap with features and polish, Apple needs to jump out front once again to keep them a distant second.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seems a little soon to me, but from a marketing perspective, the sooner the better. As Droid clones close the gap with features and polish, Apple needs to jump out front once again to keep them a distant second.

Features? Yes. Polish? Buahahahaha!

Anyway, being iPad 2 was launched in March, February launch almost seems like a no-brainer. I'd say either February or March for next iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    An "iPad 2S" will launch in March, with updated internals and Siri added, but no retina display. iPad 3 launch to occur later in the same year, at the same time as the iPhone 5. The iPad 3 will include a retina display and 128gb of storage, and slightly thicker due to added volume of battery to handle the new display, but keep the current discharge times.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    The 3rd gen iPad will be here on the 30th of Feb. LOL.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

An "iPad 2S" will launch in March, with updated internals and Siri added, but no retina display. iPad 3 launch to occur later in the same year, at the same time as the iPhone 5. The iPad 3 will include a retina display and 128gb of storage, and slightly thicker due to added volume of battery to handle the new display, but keep the current discharge times.

? So this is just a parody of the "simultaneous iPhone 4S/5 launch" nonsense, right? You don't actually believe this.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Are they just recycling the iPad rumours from last year now?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    question...

will they keep selling the iPad2?? i would really love it since i cannot spend more than 500€ in one tablet.

but an iPad 2 at 250? buy all the iPads!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

will they keep selling the iPad2??

We can't possibly know, though I like the idea.

Quote:

?an iPad 2 at 250?

Absolutely no way would it be $250. Likely $399.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yep, same here.

But just to save a few bucks, I'll hold off on spending the $69 on the (P)RODUCT RED leather smart-cover (I was getting a tad tired of the neon green) that I was planning to order as a stocking stuffer for myself....

Two friends of mine got the red recently and it doesn't hold up very well. The leather itself is fine for some reason the red seems to fade unevenly. I also have the neon green and its held up really well.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    I suspect that someone at Citigroup is trying to manipulate the stock again by keeping X-mas iPad sales down.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The most recent rumors have come from an Asian supplier saying that the new tablet will sport a thicker [emphasis added] case design than the iPad 2, but will retain the same 9.7-inch screen size allowing it to be compatible with existing Smart Covers.

Please see: Oh, agony!

• Reply 17 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LatinaC09 View Post

Hmmm..so many rumors about it coming in February. And I just got my iPad 2 a month ago...oh well..I still love it.

Isn't that what a rumor sight is supposed to do ...? Come up with rumors! If your want news go to the BBC web site
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here we go again.

Ditto, but I got the money set aside in case of an emergency iPad launch!

Meanwhile, the "analysts" are modern day Nostradamuses, soothsaying their chicken entrails to the blogosphere.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

My guess is that it will be an iPad 2S, rather than an iPad 3. The main difference will be a better chip and SIRI. No Retina Display. Little else.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

My guess is that it will be an iPad 2S, rather than an iPad 3. The main difference will be a better chip and SIRI. No Retina Display. Little else.

Any reason why iPad2 users wouldn't be able to upgrade their OS that has siri. Are there any hacks for it yet?