Best Album Of The Year???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I gotta go with Jurassic 5 "Power In Numbers" being the dopest album this year. It's actually not as good as Quality Control, but it's still off the chain.

Also, The Eminem Show gets mad play by me cause Em is tha man. I'm feeling a lot of songs on the 8 Mile OST right now though, especially "Love Me" & "Lose Yourself".

Almost forgot....Xzibit "Man Vs. Machine" I'm listnin to a lot.

Of course then there is a lot of older R&B I am playing.

Michelle Branch "The Spirit Room" gets my vote for all things that don't include hip-hop/ R&B.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    The Eminem Show -- required listening for every scholar of life in America.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>... for all things that don't include hip-hop/ R&B. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, you mean GOOD music.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    The year is not over yet.

I've been told that there a new Metallica record in the works, out soon. People say that it's incredible, but I don't believe them. Anyway, we'll see. If it's about average for Metallica, it will be the best rock album of the year for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My vote for best album of '02 is a toss up:

Beck - Sea Change

Pedro the Lion - Control

--

I'm not disappointed with Power In Numbers but it's not nearly as good as Quality Control. J-5 at their most mediocre is a 3 out of 5. I give Power in Numbers a 4.

Blackalicious' Blazing Arrow is the the best hip-hop album of 2002, and you even get your J-5 fix because Chali 2NA is on "4000 Miles".

(All of this is, of course, simply my own opinion.)

[ 10-26-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    best album hands down is Hard Candy by The Counting Crows

definitely has a shot at the Grammy

others... well The Rising by Springstein was pretty good.

Riot Act by Pearl Jam is great.

byt Hard Candy.... just, it's like The Counting Crows' Actung Baby or Joshua Tree...... just every song is better than the next
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Beck- Sea Change.

Wilco - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    I bought more 2001 records this year... It was a somewhat weak year IMHO, but here we go!

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

This is pure pop, and still so weird. Their best album (Though The Soft Bulletin kicked some major ass). They are studio magicians, you catch subtleties with every listen. Just great!

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags And Codes

The complete opposite of the Flaming Lips. This is raw, powerful. The singer put all his frustration of the past 20 years on every songs! And still very melodic, they write great songs. It blew me away quite simply.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Unfortunately not as good as Summerteeth despite all the hype I had heard, still a very fine album. Less and less folk/country inspired with each record, this is probably their most "experimental" one. And nonetheless an extremely pleasing listen.

Special mention to David Bowie for Heathen. He still rocks after 35 years! I can only respect him and enjoy listening to this
  • Reply 8 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is an excellent album that I completely forgot about. My toss-up duo still stands, though.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    eels- souljacker
  • Reply 10 of 44
    dave douglas - the infinite

it's jazz, is that okay?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    "Nirvana"- Nirvana

And U2 got ROBBED last year. You don't win grammy's for all 4 singles and NOT win Album of the Year.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    As per usual I'll give Applenut the award for most banal and boring nominations.

Anyway, so far it's been a great year for concerts, weak year for records....hmmm.... so far I'll nominate Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf as record of the year.

Lamest records of the year......Wilco, whatever piece of boredom they put out, The Strokes....yes rich kids really do suck......The White Stripes....hmmm....singles great is there anything else? I don't think so......Weezer, whatever they put out was pretty dissapointing as I don't even remember what it was.....Moby, can we say "hack".....My nomination for most boring bands that should do us a favor and die in a plane crash....Wilco, Radiohead, Travis and god they're so bad I've blocked out there name....oh yea Cold Play.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There's an ebb and flow to the music scene. Right now, it's pretty boring out there. I can't think of any really good albums I liked this year. But it's been slow for about 3 years now, so I bet we'll be back in the flow in 2004.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    My votes are for The Flaming Lips (though the previous effort "The Soft Bulletin" is better than this year's "Yoshimi) and Wilco (I'm liking "Yankee" better than "Summerteeth").
  • Reply 15 of 44
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The Eminem Show was pretty good. <a href="http://ironmaidenrules.com"; target="_blank">Nobody Cares</a> had some good stuff. The Unseen - Anger and the Truth. Great album.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by trick fall:

<strong>As per usual I'll give Applenut the award for most banal and boring nominations.

Anyway, so far it's been a great year for concerts, weak year for records....hmmm.... so far I'll nominate Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf as record of the year.

Lamest records of the year......Wilco, whatever piece of boredom they put out, The Strokes....yes rich kids really do suck......The White Stripes....hmmm....singles great is there anything else? I don't think so......Weezer, whatever they put out was pretty dissapointing as I don't even remember what it was.....Moby, can we say "hack".....My nomination for most boring bands that should do us a favor and die in a plane crash....Wilco, Radiohead, Travis and god they're so bad I've blocked out there name....oh yea Cold Play.</strong><hr></blockquote>

oh yea... cause I actually listen to something good

please, listen to Hard Candy, you'll agree its good... maybe not... but who cares... music doesn't always have to be ****ing new age boring wordy ass bullshit to be enjoyable good music.

hey Pride is playing right now... come on, talk some bullshit about U2.

Fine you want me to list some other artists' new albums I've been listening to...

Steve Earl

Buddy Miller

Los Lobos

Joan Osbourne

Richard Shindell

Gomez

is that boring and banal too? good, I'm glad

Queens of the Stone Age? hey, hope the rumors are true they'll be opening for Pearl Jam... won't have to go early to the shows
  • Reply 17 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by trick fall:

<strong>As per usual I'll give Applenut the award for most banal and boring nominations.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, I agree, but that's because I've never liked the sort of yellow-smiley-face house-rock that applenut likes.

The poppy breakthrough "Indie" rock groups this year are pathetic at best. They are no better than the produced pop that some of them attempt to lampoon. The "poetry" of the lyrics is lost on me, and it's all from the same bowl of nonsense and nonevents. The instrumentalism is nonexistant. So the rock of 2002 has been all about "non." See non-good.

And one more thing: Pearl Jam, stop sucking, and no Vedder, you're not Bob Dylan. Get over it.

To tell you the truth I can't think of a great album that came out this year. I haven't heard the most recent Dream Theater album. That may be it, as far as I care.

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Craig David "Slicker Than Your Average" is comin out pretty soon and that album is gonna be hot!

I'm not sure what else is out...Santana new CD is cmoing out but I only like it cause my Meech is on there.

J5 & Beatnuts is gonna in Tha Natti so Ima check that show mos def.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>"Nirvana"- Nirvana</strong><hr></blockquote>

SPJ knows where its at.

oh, and for whatever ****(s) menioned the grammys: homer jay simpson won a grammy. have u heard him sing? the grammy is not an award. millie vanilli won (tho they later returned their award). how could the grammys be considered legit after that? m.v. didn even sing their own music...they had a tape player rolling. thinking about the grammys bothers me...i need a cigarette.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Avril Lavigne - Finally a young gal who wear decently and can really sing.