Customers line up for grand opening of Apple's Grand Central store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

From a world perspective, there's very little difference. Picture the Thanksgiving dinner.

From that perspective the Last Supper is about consumerism and the kind of crap you'd find in thrift stores.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

To CJ above, the U.S. was the multinational corporation of Rockwell's day. See Marshall McLuhan's The Mechanical Bride.

Wow. You piqued my interest.

While I generally consider McLuhan to be full of shit, I'll take a look.

Thanks.

BTW, has anybody here re-read Atlas Shrugged lately? It has been mentioned here several times in the past few weeks. I was thinking of picking it up again.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post

The tattoo though, not a chance, that's for life and I'm old enough to know that what I think is cool now probably won't be so much in a few years time.

C'mon, have some confidence in your decisions.

I thought my Wife was great and cool in the 50s... guess what...

I thought the Beatles were great and cool in the 60s... guess what...

I thought Led Zeppelin was great and cool in the 70s.. guess what...

I thought Apple was great and cool in the 80s... guess what...

... but, then again... I've always had great taste.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Great New Yorkish point. Here in So. Cal., many stores are in boring indoor malls, and the outdoors aren't that bad anyway. GCS would be a great place to hang out while waiting in line. Unless you're stuck in that hallway with a bunch of other weirdos, then maybe not.

As we speak, Tom Ashbrook is doing an NPR/On Point show on talking to your phone, as in SIRI and some Android app.

Hadn't though of that way. I guess in February as the largest store and with the most indoor space GCT will be the place to hang out and wait for the new iPad. That place is gonna be a made house. I see some pros and cons for those traveling and shopping at other retail spaces there.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hadn't though of that way. I guess in February as the largest store and with the most indoor space GCT will be the place to hang out and wait for the new iPad. That place is gonna be a made house. I see some pros and cons for those traveling and shopping at other retail spaces there.

Ah, yes... GCT not GCS... my mistake.

A made house? I can see all these Mafia types hanging out in the shadows.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon, have some confidence in your decisions.

I thought my Wife was great and cool in the 50s... guess what...

I thought the Beatles were great and cool in the 60s... guess what...

I thought Led Zeppelin was great and cool in the 70s.. guess what...

I thought Apple was great and cool in the 80s... guess what...

... but, then again... I've always had great taste.

You've convinced me, I'm off to get my 'finalCut Pro X rocks' tattoo right now!!

Yeah I know, but I'm an optimist
  • Reply 67 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

For all the folks hassling ConradJoe, I think you might be;

(a) taking him a little too literally

(b) lacking a sarcasm detector

(c) choosing to filter his comments through the ol' tried and tested 'reality distortion field'

< . . . >

I personally find modern Apple fandom to be a tad on the creepy side and if this is what it takes to be be a fan nowadays, then I'm considering changing my fan status and membership to an 'in the closet' status.

Then again, I never understood why Apple gave me a 'logo' sticker with each computer I purchased, did they seriously want me to put it on my car or display it somewhere with pride?

First, it is you who is taking CJ seriously. If he were an ordinary psychologically disturbed troll who is here to stick a thumb in everybody's eye, that would be sad, but ignorable and tolerable. But he's not, he's a paid disrupter, by his own admission. Not that I take the details of his admission seriously, just the overall scenario.

On your second point, I halfway agree with you. No word of any kind is on any t-shirt I own, and there ain't no stickers on my car. But consider the function that Apple serves these days as a crowd phenomenon or zeitgeist emblem. It's a little short on the frenzy, but it's very like what it was around the Beatles in the 60s, or maybe a combination of them and Dylan at the time. Waiting for Sgt. Pepper was similar to iPad anticipation. If we'd had fMRI at the time, and you could run someone through the machine today around the next Apple life-changer on the horizon, I betcha you'd see the same areas light up.

Steve and Woz, and Raskin, Atkinson, Hertzfeld, Ive and let's not forget Smith really did establish a New Thing worth being in a crowd for. Now it's -- oh dear! -- a "multinational corporation" making "consumerist" devices. Just like the Beatles and the record biz, more popular than Jesus at the time, according to John Lennon. But, you say, the Beatles were at least about art. Well guess who else is about art, the art of technology, which is why they deserve to draw a crowd.

But I understand what you mean. The friend I went to Woodstock with left the first day and hitched back to the city. Couldn't dig the crowd scene.

Meanwhile, notice that ConradJoe is not defending his calling those nice, clean-cut people "weirdos."

Edit: Nicely anticipated by island hermit above.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:

You've convinced me, I'm off to get my 'finalCut Pro X rocks' tattoo right now!!

• Reply 69 of 112
    Quote:

You go, boy!

Thumbs up!
  • Reply 70 of 112
    Quote:

But I understand what you mean. The friend I went to Woodstock with left the first day and hitched back to the city. Couldn't dig the crowd scene.

Maybe he took the brown acid, maybe I should take the brown acid!
  • Reply 71 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You go, boy!

Thumbs up!

You should totally show your wife your last post, placing her up there with the greatness of The Beatles and Zepplin is sure to keep you in the good books, maybe just leave out the Apple comparison, she might find that one a little 'weird'
  • Reply 72 of 112
    Quote:

Maybe he took the brown acid, maybe I should take the brown acid!

Pretty sure it was the cold and the mud and all those crazy people still seeming to have a good time, against all reason. He's still a voice of reason to this day. Maybe wouldn't be now if he'd gotten hold of some of that. There was a lot of good blotter going around . . . sigh . . .
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Have managed well for half a century without queueing - with 2 forced exceptions:

1) School - where I was to become an educated sheep

2) Army - where I was to become a killer sheep

But to do it of your own free will? Have they no shame or pride, or do they get paid?
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He called them weirdos. He implied they were abnormal and queer. These are all synonyms. Nothing in ConradJoe's hateful comment eluded to calling them homosexuals, nor does mine. Words do have multiple meaning so the context it's used is important to understand its meaning.

I agree with you on this.

Lay off the hypersensitivity, people.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    Quote:

I personally find modern Apple fandom to be a tad on the creepy side and if this is what it takes to be be a fan nowadays, then I'm considering changing my fan status and membership to an 'in the closet' status.

Go ahead.

We'll miss you.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

That was offensive and unnecessary.

He is offensive and unnecessary. (The management likes people like him because he brings eyeballs.)
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He is offensive and unnecessary. (The management likes people like him because he brings eyeballs.)

I'm slowly coming around to this depressing POV. Why? He's still here.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    Quote:

You should totally show your wife your last post, placing her up there with the greatness of The Beatles and Zepplin is sure to keep you in the good books, maybe just leave out the Apple comparison, she might find that one a little 'weird'

Leave out the Apple comparison to the woman who has an iMac, iPad, iPod and iPhone. Who are the Beatles and Led Zeppelin again...
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So what is the actual incentive of waiting outside for the store opening? Are there any purchase incentives at all? Giveaways?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...599679280.html
  • Reply 80 of 112
    deleted