Apple cuts prices of refurbished iPad 2s by as much as $50

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Friday quietly reduced the prices of its refurbished iPad 2 units even further, offering as much as $100 off the price of a new unit and $50 less than the previous refurbished prices for some models.

The new discounts at Apple's online store apply to both Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable versions of the iPad 2. Prices now start at $419 for the refurbished 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2, a savings of $80 off its regular price.

The discounts grow to $100 starting with the 32GB Wi-Fi model, which is priced at $499 refurbished. Similarly, the high-end 32GB Wi-Fi model is available for $599, or 14 percent off the regular price.

Apple is also selling the entry-level 16GB 3G-equipped models for $80 off, with the 12 percent discount leaving a price of $549. Like with the Wi-Fi-only models, the savings grow to $100 starting with the 32GB 3G model for $629, and 64GB for $729.

All refurbished products from Apple are tested and certified, and they include a one-year warranty. The refurbished iPad units also include a brand new battery and outer shell.

Previously, a refurbished iPad 2 came with a $50 discount, pricing the entry-level 16GB model at $449. Friday's increased discounts offer an additional $30 off all 16GB models, while the 32GB and 64GB capacities have been doubled from $50 off to $100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Hopefully they are clearing the way for my iPad 3.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Hopefully they are clearing the way for my iPad 3.

Can't wait! Retina display, here I come.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's looking tempting.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday quietly reduced the prices of its refurbished iPad 2 units even further, offering as much as $100 off the price of a new unit and $50 less than the previous refurbished prices for some models.

How is it that Apple has so many returned iPads 2 that it needs to blow them out at lowered prices? Are a lot of people returning their iPads? Are a lot of them defective? Are the refurbs from those that failed QA?

Why does Apple have an overstock of repaired iPads?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

How is it that Apple has so many returned iPads 2 that it needs to blow them out at lowered prices? Are a lot of people returning their iPads? Are a lot of them defective? Are the refurbs from those that failed QA?

one of them is the one that i dropped on concrete by accident a few months back and apple replaced for free
  • Reply 6 of 24
    samsung already going to beat the ipad 3 in resolution. apples needs something amazing up their sleeve or it's lights out
  • Reply 7 of 24
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

samsung already going to beat the ipad 3 in resolution. apples needs something amazing up their sleeve or it's lights out

You could have said the same thing about the i4S.

Apple does NOT need to have anything amazing up its sleeve. Not every time. They can get many existing customers to upgrade with a mere, well, upgrade. They can also land many new customers with a mere upgrade.

So long as these markets are quickly growing, Apple's strategy will yield huge profits. Once they are mature, I don't know what will happen.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

I looked hard, read harder and still didn't pick up on any sarcasm.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

It's in the name.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Well, he did call himself "reality check" so clearly he needs one.

It's not just the upgrade of the iPad, it's the update of every other service that it seamlessly works with designed by Apple. Nothing that Samsung can release will ever be better because it will just be a single unit, not a device that connects to an ecosystem.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

You can have a device with better resolution, but if there are no apps that take advantage of it, how does it matter? That is the challenge they all face when trying to compete with the iPad. We knew eventually someone would catch up to the iPad hardware wise, you just can never get the rest of what makes the iPad the best choice.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    $419? Come on, drop it to $399 already!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Well, he did call himself "reality check" so clearly he needs one.

It's not just the upgrade of the iPad, it's the update of every other service that it seamlessly works with designed by Apple. Nothing that Samsung can release will ever be better because it will just be a single unit, not a device that connects to an ecosystem.

I'm not so sure about seamlessly.

For that to happen Apple would have to learn to test thoroughly and make sure that functionality works well across iOS and OSX.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Missed the Black Friday sale, still got what I wanted, cheaper yet. Refurb=just as good.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's it, I'm getting one.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Well, looks like my 1st gen ipad is going to be getting a 3G friend!
  • Reply 17 of 24
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

It's possible that $50 off wasn't enough to get around the potential stigma of buying a refurbished unit.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Could I suggest to the author that the lead needs rewriting? the statement "...offering as much as $100 off the price of a new unit..." is misleading at best, and wrong in the worst case. You might instead say, "offering prices as much as $100 lower than the price of a new unit..."

I hope the difference is evident.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

You're kidding, right? How many millions of iPads has apple sold? How many do you think it has to have to list them on the refurb list? I've seen numerous refurb items available and only hours later, off the list, suggesting the number of units available was very small (what percent of shoppers at an apple store or online do you think even know where and how to navigate to the bargain "refurbs" items? Not many, I'd wager.

And btw, what constitutes an "overstock" of repaired iPads? More than one, maybe? They're not gonna throw them away, nor should they. So when they accumulate enough to make it worth listing them on the refurbs, they sell them. I've gotten great deals on Mac Pros and MBPs that way.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

When you're selling 50+ million units of ANYTHING, you're bound to have a few slip through with some minor problems. If one tenth of 1% of iPads are returned for technical problems, that leaves Apple with the potential to refurbish and sell 50,000 units.

Why not drop the price? It's 2 weeks before Christmas, an iPad refresh is coming in the next few months, and there's no reason to sit on stock.

Personally, I'm thankful. I picked up a 64GB for my wife for Christmas today.