Buying & streaming TV shows comes to Apple TV in Canada, UK & Australia

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple TV users in Australia, Canada and the U.K. can now purchase and stream episodes of television shows directly to Apple's set-top box without the need for a computer.

The functionality was added overnight to the Apple TV set-top box, and does not require a software update. Previously, users could not purchase content directly from the Apple TV, and it needed to be downloaded to a computer on the user's local network first.

Now, Apple's new iCloud functionality which allows the re-downloading and streaming of TV episodes has been brought to more users outside of the U.S. Customers in the U.K., Australia and Canada can now access their iCloud library of TV shows, and stream that content directly to the Apple TV without downloading it to a Mac or PC.

The functionality originally came to Apple TV users in the U.S. in early August in the form of a software update. The purchasing and streaming options were expanded shortly before Apple opted to abandon its plan for 99 cent rentals of TV shows, citing lack of consumer interest.

The Apple TV was redesigned in a major overhaul in 2010, giving the $99 hardware a smaller footprint and basing its operating system on the same iOS platform that powers the iPhone and iPad. But in recent months, speculation has grown that Apple's next move will be to build a full-fledged television set for release in late 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    I still don't understand why anyone would pay to watch a TV show.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

So you just have your local channels you get for free, then? Around here they're called the "Farmer Five".

Having said that, there's really not much good on TV anymore; you're right.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you just have your local channels you get for free, then? Around here they're called the "Farmer Five".

Yes, HD over the air. Mostly though I think I would only watch a lot of the shows if they paid me to do so.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Here in Toronto, I get about 15 HD channels for free with my HD antenna (luckily I still had an old antenna tower on my yard).

But yeah, the original poster obviously isn't considering the fact that, if you pay for cable, you're paying for TV shows. I personally watch so few TV shows, that the cost per show with a cable subscription would be much higher than just paying for the individual shows. Plus you don't waste time with commercials.

Quote:

Agreed.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Here its called "peasant vision" and its only 4 - and one of those is french.

I pay like 60 dollars for basic cable to watch maybe 2 or 3 channels. I would save a ton of cash in the pay-per-episode model, because I only watch about 2 shows.

The only thing keeping me going is sports, which I watch less and less of, and my wife, who watches whatever crap about non-celebrities singing and dancing is around.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Except for my internet connection I ditched cable years ago and I'm completely happy with HD over the air. I save about $900 a year and get far more value for my money using other services.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    This is nice because sometimes you want to watch a old TV series that you just cant get anywhere except from buying the dvd or pirate it on the net.

I love that you dont need to manage the media anymore and some old TV shows are dirt cheap on itunes. (cheaper than 1$ per episode when buying a season)

There is also the possiblity to buy a series you really love. Like I may consider buying Game of thrones if they sell it cheaper than the DVD.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Im in the UK and so far no sign of the update. Personally the sooner Netfix and BBC IPlayer and the likes are on the thing the better.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I live in Canada, and so far cannot see TV Shows on my Apple TV. A year ago or so I cancelled both Cable and Satellite to rely only on Netflix and downloading TV shows and movies for entertainment (I only watch a few shows a week and only a few movies per month). My 1 TB hard drive is getting full up. The iCloud feature could not arrive at a better time as it would save me from buying a new hard drive.

I could also add that using iCloud also reduces my need for back up.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Just booted up the apple tv here in the UK and so far no sign of any Tv Shows anywhere on the menu...

As morgajx said the sooner the uk gets some of the catchup services like iplayer and 4od the better as none of the iPad apps currently support AirPlay (although iplayer did get hdmi cable support in the last update) and my apple tv would chew down a lot less power than having to watch them on my ps3 like I do at the moment...
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Is this only on Apple TV Gen 2 or is it on Gen 1 as well?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Because maybe your frakin' DVR didn't record the show you wanted

because cable sucks and you can't get anything else

because your apartment building doesn't allow mounting a dish

and the TV network doesn't stream the show you just missed and doesn't re-air that show

and/or you're too lazy to go into your home office to stream a show and sit there watching it on a 20" monitor instead of the comfort of your coach

and your iPad can't stream the show because that TV network is run on Flash.

or, maybe you're in another country working for weeks at a time, and wanted to watch the last few episodes of some TV show for the rest of the season

and can't wait until you get home because it's going to be weeks before then

and then all the podcasts will be out to spoil you

and now you're really pissed that you have to buy 3 episodes of a show that you moderately like

and wouldn't even consider purchasing on DVD or watching a second time

because Apple claims 'lack of user interest' in the TV rental feature.

What the heck am you going to do with 3 episodes of a show you like but not enough to actually purchase?

Please bring back the rental feature Apple...it was useful.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

because your apartment building doesn't allow mounting a dish

As long as you have a balcony or a main floor deck and you live in the U.S. you cannot be denied a dish as long as it doesn't extend beyond your rented property. This is why many people simply have a dish on a tripod.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

As long as you have a balcony or a main floor deck and you live in the U.S. you cannot be denied a dish as long as it doesn't extend beyond your rented property. This is why many people simply have a dish on a tripod.

rental agreement prohibits it. And I know people with Dish and/or DirectTV that have the same problems as Cable, so it's kind of mute point anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Hooray! I've been waiting for this functionality for ages. I wish you could do the same thing with movies too, but as I only rarely buy movies it's not a big problem.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I hope the selection is good.

2) I still don't see nor have heard a reasonable argument for Apple selling 3 different sized HDTVs with no ports in Apple Stores but there is certainly something happening on that front that will affect the future of the AppleTV. Maybe Ireland is right after all.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Personally I'd just like to be able to get iTunes TV in New Zealand let alone direct from Apple TV.

Broadband rates are getting better all the time here now so I think it's about time we got the full iTunes services.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

The local channels in Australia deliver most TV shows free over-the-air.

Shows like Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, True Blood, Terra Nova, Glee, The Walking Dead, Fringe, Community, CSI, NCIS, Gossip Girl, Grey's Anatomy, Supernatural, Castle, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, House, The Vampire Diaries, Criminal Minds, The Big Bang Theory, The Mentalist etc are all available for free over-the-air.

Unfortunately episodes are delivered sometimes weeks or months after they are aired in the US, and frequently in the wrong season order and at variable time slots. There is also no to very little IPTV (e.g. no Hulu or Netflix) and very little to no "catch up" TV supported by the networks.

All of this answers Tjwal's original question of why someone would pay to watch a TV episode.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    There's something to be said about channel surfing and discovering something you would never have thought about checking out unless you came across it by accident. That's why I'm a bit taken aback by people who pre-program their viewing schedule and only watch what they've determined to see in advance.

Where's the serendipity in that? How do you know what you're missing if you cut the cord and limit yourself to a hand-picked set of shows you've pre-approved for consumption?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyhorsman View Post

There's something to be said about channel surfing and discovering something you would never have thought about checking out unless you came across it by accident. That's why I'm a bit taken aback by people who pre-program their viewing schedule and only watch what they've determined to see in advance.

Where's the serendipity in that? How do you know what you're missing if you cut the cord and limit yourself to a hand-picked set of shows you've pre-approved for consumption?

you can preview any show you want on TV to see if it interests you. that is what I call show surfing. Besides, being commercial free is so nice. When we go to someones house and the tv is on to watch i get antsy seeing commercials. I could have spent that time previewing a show I may decide to watch.