HP to keep webOS, make available as an undefined open source project

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think it's that bad. Look at how many people have done things with Android. And WebOS has some significant advantages over Android.

WP7 is superior to WebOS and Android, and has a better ecosystem than WebOS. I just don't see a commercial spot for it with Android being the "open" option, iOS dominating in the most relevant areas, and WP7 being great but still struggling to get a foothold. I think it may too late for WebO'yeller.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Pah lease! Is that the best she could do?

Open source. That is the death blow. She apparently thought this through while sitting in Carly Fiorina's former corner office. The same office the HP heads of the different tech departments sent the nina to. The one that used the 6 blades of death on Carly. She didn't feel or see a thing until she went home, strangely tired. Then bam! Sh** started falling off.

Meg, well she's a little heftier than Carly so the ninja may have to use the 10 blades of death to get through that pork.

Her a** is gone!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Based on past experience with the enormously successful Windows tablets market (since XP I think), HP is obviously making the right choice not to go for the already developed and payed for in house OS with which they could be trying to grab marketshare while market was young, but to wait and pay Microsoft for an OS on each piece of hardware and put alot of money into hardware development of those Windows tablets.

I mean just look at those years of selling Windows slates, how successful they've been and now HP is on the path where they can compete with their Chinese OEM's (like ASUS etc.) just like their PC franchise, whomever is cheapest wins - slam dunk. Absolutely no vision whatsoever.

How far HP has fallen.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I am surprised Google didn't buy webOS for the patents and some of the UI knowledge.

Open sourcing it might work or it might not. I'm leaning to the latter though. Sure, it's free, but HP won't put the muscle behind it like Google does with Android.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I like WebOS. It's certainly better than any of the Android products I've used. With a couple of years of serious work, it could actually give iOS a run for its money in terms of usability.

Sure, but if it's really open sourced with the usual open source baggage why would anyone do that? Why put Apple like polish on it then have it co-opted by others?

Quote:

That's essentially what they're doing. Anyone who wants it can use it.

it's an empty gesture to me. Some to distract the shareholders with to keep them from wondering how HP could piss away so much money and promising technology with absolutely nothing to show for it. HP should have focused on building up their phones and THEN releasing a polished tablet. But this whole thing stinks of the new CEO canning the previous CEOs project.

Larry Ellison, like or hate him, was spot on. The HP board was and is incompetent and the firing of Mark Hurd will go down as their watershed moment

I was hoping Whitman would re-enstate full support, blaming on the previous idiot. Then again he sure as heck didn't act without the boards implicit understanding. And since she was on the board...

Sigh. So stupid. Bye bye WebOS. Too bad HP bought you instead of HTC, Samsung, Nokia or hell even the likes of Asus or Acer. Then again the last two probably would have made the same mistakes with tablets.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HP has finally outlined its plans for webOS today, stating that it will "contribute the webOS software to the open source community," apparently because it couldn't find a suitable buyer for the platform. ...

Axed it, made sure it can't be used against them.

J.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, to be fair, the division is effectively dead and it would make no sense to keep on non-productive employees. It seems callous to the employee, but it is business reality.

I have always admired that management technique : we f'd up, we stay, you go home. Don't let the door hit you on the bum on the way out.

What class do they teach that in at MBA school? Ethics? Accounting?

Oh, to have the morals of the upper 1% in this county. I would be free free free!
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am surprised Google didn't buy webOS for the patents and some of the UI knowledge.

Arrogance. They thought they could bully the patent system like they did with copyright, and that there unrefined yet free offering would be good enough. What I think they overlooked is with search, gmail and there other offerings they have no competitor like Apple. Their competitors in their other markets are at best a little better than them or at worse allot worse than them.

Not so with phones or tablets. iOS is compelling enough that people are willing to pay a premium. Except that with tablets the iPad isn't a premium. And with the discounted older iPhones, the initial price thing is dissapearing too. And the amount of non-geeks that care about "open", USB ports and other nonsense is laughable.

Even having said that I still don't know if they wouldn't be too stubborn to not be aggressive in acquiring WebOS now if the opportunity presented itself.

Quote:

Open sourcing it might work or it might not. I'm leaning to the latter though. Sure, it's free, but HP won't put the muscle behind it like Google does with Android.

"it's dead, Jim"

If open source was the equivelant of magic fairy dust, they would have been liberally applying way before now!

Nope, this is a way to dump it while appearing to not be flushing shareholder value down the toilet
  • Reply 29 of 40
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

WP7 is superior to WebOS and Android, and has a better ecosystem than WebOS.

Honest question here, how so? I've heard positive things about the underlying OS for WP7, but I've heard lots of positive about WebOS too. I don't doubt WP7 being a better OS than Android, fragmentation and the horrible plan for ICS uptake alone shows how poorly planned Android is, but I'd love to see a serious comparison of WP7 and WebOS.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Axed it, made sure it can't be used against them.

zing!

Great insight! I think you nailed it, unfortunately.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think HP should give it away to the phone manufacturers for free. That way, the phone manu's can decide between Android or WebOS with a free license. Beat Google at its game.

Ummm. Isn't that what they are doing by open sourcing WebOS? In any event, I fail to see what HP has to gain from providing a free OS to other OEMs. How are they going to make money? As for taking down Google, thankfully corporate executives aren't as irrational as fanboys on the internet.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Good, now maybe people who stop trying to put Android on the TouchPads and focus on hacking an OS that doesn't suck.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Good, now maybe people who stop trying to put Android on the TouchPads and focus on hacking an OS that doesn't suck.

Do you think that WebOS could be put on inexpensive Android tablets, like the Nook Tablet? That would be one sweet little machine!

More generally, anybody here know if WebOS is a good candidate for customization by a community? Might we see deep innovation by special-interest hackers?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Do you think that WebOS could be put on inexpensive Android tablets, like the Nook Tablet? That would be one sweet little machine!

More generally, anybody here know if WebOS is a good candidate for customization by a community? Might we see deep innovation by special-interest hackers?

I'm almost positive that with a little work, that devices such as the Nook Tablet, can receive a functioning WebOS port, unless HP decided that a minimum requirement was a 1.2Ghz Snapdragon S3(which I seriously doubt is the case.)

FOSS People are always willing to play with whatever they can. No matter how small the project, there is usually a few people willing to take dive. Depending on the License that HP chooses, customization can be very easy and fast, or a bit tricky and take a bit of time.

But I have no doubt that WebOS will be ported and used in Dual-boot solutions.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Does this mean hardware makers who are unhappy with Android now have another option? Or are they open-sourcing it but retaining the exclusive right to sell it somehow?

This could split the competition against Apple in to 3 platforms: Android, Kindle (based on Android but kind of it's own thing), and WebOS.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    I still wish somebody would mount a serious challenge to Apple in the vertically integrated market, but at least now the bottom-feeding freetard cloners will have access to a good mobile OS option that isn't locked into Google's spyware ecosystem.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Maybe I'm stupid but... isn't that the company Steve Jobs admired so much, he modeled his own companies after it?

Maybe someone needs to bet the company on some audacious decision?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Amen to that. If I was any younger and had less than my current 17 simultaneous projects (uh, I need to do some soulsearching here... like wth am I doing reading news on a Saturday night)... I'd probably be excited
  • Reply 39 of 40
    It's like a reverse Cargo Cult.

Cast your belongings adrift and hope that people on some faraway island will find a way to make them useful.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Maybe I'm stupid but... isn't that the company Steve Jobs admired so much, he modeled his own companies after it?

Maybe someone needs to bet the company on some audacious decision?

That's just it with big companies. They become lazy and averse to risk because if it goes wrong, it can mean culling a large workforce. Apple doesn't have a large workforce relatively - HP employs 10x more people than Apple. Some of the models that Apple follows are in terms of manufacturing and structuring to help cut down inventory.

I think that HP clearly has some creative talent as they wouldn't have gone with the Touchpad at all nor would they have bought Palm/WebOS but they need to be more committed to what they do. You can't just buy a creative company, stick your logo on it and expect people to buy into your eco-system. All the old-school corporate types are doing this. They hire creative agencies to put out some marketing promos and you still see the executives in their interviews wearing their generic suits and making the stupid decisions.

When you look at Apple, you can see that they live what they sell and that genuine attitude resonates with people. You just have to buy your granddad a shirt from Gap for Christmas and you can see how little difference it makes to a lifestyle. HP needs to do what Apple did in the late 90s and figure out who they are. If they want to be corporate, they can go die a death like grandpa in his fancy shirt. If they want to be like Apple, they need to throw their weight behind WebOS and bring it to at least the level of Windows Phone. The only problem is, at this stage there's only really room for two, maybe three operating systems and the top slots are occupado.

It's far easier to be different in hardware than it is in software because no matter how crappy you make your hardware, you can still run a lot of software if it's compatible with the majority. Maybe the best thing for them now would be to hook up with Google and merge the best parts of Web OS into Android, possibly as a layer like Touchwiz. Then they can focus on making competitive hardware.