HP says it will build new webOS powered tablets by 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

You don?t announce something two years from now, which competes with something you?re announcing ONE year from now, when you?ve repeatedly failed to deliver successfully. What?s the message here?

?Our WebOS is great! It?s open source so everyone can use it! But we won?t be able to get it working ourselves for two more years.?

Or...?

?Web OS is better than Windows Metro, or we obviously wouldn?t bother with it, but we?ll ship Windows Metro next year anyway, and then switch to the real deal after a bunch of people have bought the stopgap we want to abandon later!?

Or...?

?We?ll make anything... we don?t even have to know what or why or when! Our TouchPad success story is only the beginning!?

Or simply...?

?We have a clear, intelligent long-term plan to catch up to with what Apple started years ago. Users will give us tons of profit instead of wanting real iPads. Just wait!"

lol! This is just a mess. Very poor leadership.

The sad thing is that I when I was shown the TouchPad before its UK release I actually thought HP had a good thing going. Very slick OS with lots of potential.

We'll just have to see how things pan out in the future but for now I'm happy to stick with Apples solution/eco-system
  • Reply 22 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Get ready for a firesale part II, coming in 2013.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Get ready for a firesale part II, coming in 2013.

lol!
  • Reply 24 of 81
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    First she took her sweet time deciding what to do with WebOS. When the announcement finally comes, there is no commitment at all to do either something tangible or to let go completely. A CEO is supposed to be decisive. Meg Whitman has not been that so far at HP.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I doubt Meg Whitman will still be CEO of HP by 2013.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Hmmmm... I'm sure this post will win lots of friends...

I actually think that the tablet market is getting quite saturated for the moment and I can't see great gains for anyone after the holiday season and through 2012.

I also see the iPad numbers dwindling throughout 2012 and possibly until Apple brings forward a product that more closely parallels the productivity of a laptop.

I can see the v3 iPad maintaining a healthy presence in the tablet market but I do not see it being sold in the numbers we have seen for iPad 2; too many fire sales of various other tablets (and too many Fires being sold at fire sale prices) has definitely caused a saturation of a product that is still too limited to really lift itself off the ground... but that won't last for long and it will be Apple that produces the first tablet to really appeal to an even wider market.

The reason I say all of this is because it seems like a hell of a time for Whitman to even think that HP is going to be successful with a tablet product other than to throw another $500 million out the window having another fire sale (as stated by Apple ][ ) and saturating the tablet market even more.

All, of course, imho.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Oh dear, HP haven't learnt any lessons from Steve Jobs yet have they! He must be having quite a chuckle as he sips on his celestial apple juice right now.
  • Reply 28 of 81

Meg... You're supposed to plug your vibrator into 120 volts -- not 220 volts.

• Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Meg... You're supposed to plug your vibrator into 120 volts -- not 220 volts.

Oh, Dick... you're probably writing this from the throne room...
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

You don?t announce something two years from now, which competes with something you?re announcing ONE year from now, when you?ve repeatedly failed to deliver successfully. What?s the message here?

?Our WebOS is great! It?s open source so everyone can use it! But we won?t be able to get it working ourselves for two more years.?

Or...?

?Web OS is better than Windows Metro, or we obviously wouldn?t bother with it, but we?ll ship Windows Metro next year anyway, and then switch to the real deal after a bunch of people have bought the stopgap we want to abandon later!?

Or...?

?We?ll make anything... we don?t even have to know what or why or when! Our TouchPad success story is only the beginning!?

Or simply...?

?We have a clear, intelligent long-term plan to catch up to with what Apple started years ago. Users will give us tons of profit instead of wanting real iPads. Just wait!"

Ya! nailed it!
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I doubt Meg Whitman will still be CEO of HP by 2013.

I think she'll do OK, personally. She's already demonstrated more leadership ability than that last clown.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think she'll do OK, personally. She's already demonstrated more leadership ability than that last clown.

I'll take a bet on that. I know you well enough from the boards to trust your word if you give it. $25 gift certificate to the Apple Store that she will not be CEO of HP by the last day of December 2012?
  • Reply 33 of 81

In late news...

Larry Ellison revealed plans to: buy HP; sell off all the hardware divisions... and open-source Meg Whitman!

...Wow! What a missed opportunity, what she's doing to HP -- she could have done to the entire State of California.

• Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll take a bet on that. I know you well enough from the boards to trust your word if you give it. $25 gift certificate to the Apple Store that she will not be CEO of HP by the last day of December 2012?

I will agree to make you a friendly bet, good for bragging rights. Let's not spoil the fun by bringing money into it. I'll mark my iCal.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    HP has essentially killed WebOS, this was a wake.

It's a PR move, and the subtest should be: "No one offered us any money for WebOS, so we're eating the hardware and the software."
  • Reply 36 of 81
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    2013 is a lifetime away in the tablet business. The rest of the systems would have to fall flat on their faces for a new product to stand a chance of success starting in 2013.
  • Reply 37 of 81

Two-four-six-eight -- watch while I e-quiv-o-cate!

• Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

They fired Apotheker because of his waffling and all they get is more of the same high-priced, utterly incompetent management from that horrid, stupid woman.

You know what, HP? Why don't you hire me instead of Whitman. I will only take half her salary, and I don't think it's humanly possible for me to do a worse job than that moron.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Meg Whitman is incompetent as is the entire HP board. Frankly, the entire board needs to be replaced and a competent CEO needs to be hired. To say that Meg Whitman is credible because she did such a terrific job at eBay is laughable. eBay would've done well regardless of who was in the CEO position. She was in the right place at the right time. That's all. No more, and no less.

As a Californian, I'm just thankful that she's not our governor.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

2013 is a lifetime away in the tablet business. The rest of the systems would have to fall flat on their faces for a new product to stand a chance of success starting in 2013.

Meg's between a rock and webOS... she realizes she's in a no win situation no matter what she says... or even if she says nothing.

Mentioning 2013 was just her way of giving a forward looking statement to the analysts.

She might have been better off just saying that HP is fucked...
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

I think you are right...

And, I believe it will be amajor problem for MS -- as they will not have a viable ARM tablet offering in 2012. Likely, they are hoping for an Intel tablet by 2013.