HP says it will build new webOS powered tablets by 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Meg's between a rock and webOS... she realizes she's in a no win situation no matter what she says... or even if she says nothing.

Mentioning 2013 was just her way of giving a forward looking statement to the analysts.

She might have been better off just saying that HP is fucked...

That vibrator post got you thinking, eh?
  • Reply 42 of 81
  • Reply 43 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That vibrator post got you thinking, eh?

I heard that Meg said that webOS would be installed in every vibrator sold in six months time...
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I heard that Meg said that webOS would be installed in every vibrator sold in six months time...

I think you've [she's] cracked it!
  • Reply 45 of 81
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    I swear ... The people at HP that are controlling WebOS must be bipolar.

We love it

We hate it

We're building everything around it

It's crap, and we're killing the department

We're going to make new WebOS tablet in a year

Hold me ...
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Woz... HP called... They're interested in your ideas about that personal computer thingie....
  • Reply 47 of 81
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

I swear ... The people at HP that are controlling WebOS must be bipolar.

We love it

We hate it

We're building everything around it

It's crap, and we're killing the department

We're going to make new WebOS tablet in a year

Hold me ...

Didn't Meg appoint 18 different groups to evaluate the WebOS group and make recommendations?

It sounds like, rather than reading all the information and taking a decision, she just concatenated all the reports to determine HP's strategy.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While stating her company would "bet heavily with Windows [8 tablets]" in the short term, HP chief executive Meg Whitman stated that the company will return to building a webOS tablet by 2013, if not next year.

The only thing worse than no strategy is a confusing strategy.

We're selling WebOS

We're getting out of PCs

Well, we'll keep PCs, but not WebOS

Maybe we'll keep WebOS, too

No, we'll open source WebOS

But we'll still build tablets with WebOS

Isn't there anyone at that company with a brain?
  • Reply 49 of 81
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Can some one tell me why HP can't figure out what to do? HP is a huge company. Another thing... Why can't a company like HP design and market a tablet successfully? Why is Apples iPad so much more successful than any others.

As far as the web os goes. I have a Palm TX and it was one of my favorite devices for about 4 years. Then I bought an iPad and the TX now sits collecting dust. I do think that the web os is a good os. I do think it could give Apple a run for their money if its developed right.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Can some one tell me why HP can't figure out what to do? HP is a huge company. Another thing... Why can't a company like HP design and market a tablet successfully? Why is Apples iPad so much more successful than any others.

As far as the web os goes. I have a Palm TX and it was one of my favorite devices for about 4 years. Then I bought an iPad and the TX now sits collecting dust. I do think that the web os is a good os. I do think it could give Apple a run for their money if its developed right.

As others have said in the past... there isn't really a tablet market, but there is an iPad market.

Steve had the vision to see what people would want and turned it into reality... the other manufacturers haven't a bloody clue what the market wants and end up with tablets that have no appeal to the mass market and/or copies of Apple's offerings but without the stuffing (plus, for the most part, they don't work that well).
  • Reply 51 of 81
    All snide aside... Well, almost all...

I can't help but think that there's a helluva opportunity just laying around here... Just waiting for someone to pick up the pieces...

I believe that HP had an opportunity, with WebOS, to "out-Windows-8" MS in bringing [some of] the desktop to tablets and vice versa -- something, now, only Apple and MS can do... Google has no desktop apps... Nor can they buy the ones they need to be a player!
  • Reply 52 of 81
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    I'm no expert but want to join the discussion! In my opinion, it's true HP gained market share overnight because of their fire sale - but selling hardware below cost without other revenue streams to support its production (such as selling the content that gets viewed on the hardware) is not sustainable. The gain in market share for HP was a pyrrhic victory.

It's also true that tablet manufacturers now have another OS choice. However, I keep reading in the news that Apple has secured the best component prices by prepaying and also reserved most of the production bandwith of the factories in advance.

Again, I'm not an expert but what I suspect this means is that competitors will build their tablets at the same or higher cost that Apple does. So, let's assume that competitors elect to build a tablet that competes directly with the iPad 2 in hardware specifications. If the hardware costs the same as or more than an iPad to build then there needs to be something extremely compelling about the competing OS and its ecosystem of content and applications for the consumer to buy it over the iPad 2.

If it is true what you said that "WebOS already is a better system than Android" then they may have something compelling and it will be very interesting to see what happens!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Given HP gained 5% marketshare almost overnight with their $99 firesale... and now that WebOS is open source... Tablet manufacturers using Android now have another choice...

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. WebOS already is a better system than Android IMHO.

• Reply 53 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big View Post

I'm no expert but want to join the discussion! In my opinion, it's true HP gained market share overnight because of their fire sale - but selling hardware below cost without other revenue streams to support its production (such as selling the content that gets viewed on the hardware) is not sustainable. The gain in market share for HP was a pyrrhic victory.

It's also true that tablet manufacturers now have another OS choice. However, I keep reading in the news that Apple has secured the best component prices by prepaying and also reserved most of the production bandwith of the factories in advance.

Again, I'm not an expert but what I suspect this means is that competitors will build their tablets at the same or higher cost that Apple does. So, let's assume that competitors elect to build a tablet that competes directly with the iPad 2 in hardware specifications. If the hardware costs the same as or more than an iPad to build then there needs to be something extremely compelling about the competing OS and its ecosystem of content and applications for the consumer to buy it over the iPad 2.

If it is true what you said that "WebOS already is a better system than Android" then they may have something compelling and it will be very interesting to see what happens!!!

In what could have been... Google could have acquired Palm and WebOS for 1/10 of what they are spending for MMI...

They would has a significant patent portfolio an an uncumbered mobile/desktop OS.

We all owe HP a sincere "thank you" for buying Palm..
  • Reply 54 of 81
    What a sorry, sorry tale this is for HP and for WebOS.

HP was a great company that made beautifully engineered pioneering products, and they threw it all away to make PCs and printers. I'm sure many here remember the amazing test equipment HP used to make, not to mention the calculators, of which I have simulators on my iPhone.

I had Palms for years. Palm owned the market and they had a huge community of developers making really good apps, then Palm, through a succession of bad management decisions, just let it all drift away. I was really committed to Palms but I had to give up on them and got an iPhone. When I got the iPhone the IOS apps were worse than the Palm apps, and there are some Palm apps I still miss.

Why are HP telling us what they will do in 2013? Why not next century? Do they think developers will start work on WebOS apps on the strength of this announcement? Tablets are more than anything about their apps and HP has blown it royally. How could a developer be enthusiastic or committed to a platform in such a stop-start-stop environment? Palm was king of the hill and now WebOS will be at square zero in 2013.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ireland knows who wrote this without having to check.

No one cares.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Given HP gained 5% marketshare almost overnight with their $99 firesale... and now that WebOS is open source... Tablet manufacturers using Android now have another choice...

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. WebOS already is a better system than Android IMHO.

So losing hundreds of dollars on every sale is somehow a defining business strategy for success? Give us a break. WebOS is already a non-starter.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So losing hundreds of dollars on every sale is somehow a defining business strategy for success? Give us a break. WebOS is already a non-starter.

Yeah, but..l there really is something there with WebOS....

A lot of technologists like WebOS -- but nobody seems to know how to turn the "there" into $...

IMO, It takes a marketeer who has a longer View of opportunity than the next quarter's numbers...

Think of it this way -- WebOS already has what RIM and MS are trying to deliver in 2012-2013 .
  • Reply 58 of 81
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

The Android crowd does not mind WebOS. In fact, most of the big stories on Android sites when HP was pushing WebOS were about the fire sales for $99 and where to get one and when they became sold out.

Cyanogenmod members also worked on porting Android to the tablet. Now with it being open source and all that goodness, on Google+ and some Android sites, people are already talking about Dual-booting Android&WebOS hardware.

Choice is something always cherished in the community, even if it does start a bit of an internal fight at times.

Now To wait for Tizen to release their SDK and source code, and may give Ubuntu Mobile a shot depending on how they handle the UI.

And the post above is a reflection of everything wrong with the android market et al favored by the 1% of techtards who even understand any of this bullshit. The overwhelming number of consumers want convenience and ease of use, along with a rich and vibrant ecosystem, and there is only one player that delivers that. And it is certainly not dual booting android webOS ubuntu tizen developed sdk driven mod rooted google+ goodness provided by cyanogenmod!!!!!
  • Reply 59 of 81
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

And the post above is a reflection of everything wrong with the android market et al favored by the 1% of techtards who even understand any of this bullshit. The overwhelming number of consumers want convenience and ease of use, along with a rich and vibrant ecosystem, and there is only one player that delivers that. And it is certainly not dual booting android webOS ubuntu tizen developed sdk driven mod rooted google+ goodness provided by cyanogenmod!!!!!

Maybe you misunderstand?

Nobody is suggesting that Dual-booting Android&WebOS hardware is a viable mass-market platform for technophobic grandparents. You are right - Apple has that market sewn up.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:

What you say is true... However...

Don't discount the geeks... In this case the Android geeks...

They are the Woz, Jobs, Draper (Cap'n Crunch) of their times...

Theiy point our way to the future -- not a future that most of us want to mess with... But most of us want the benefits...

I totally buy the Apple idea of the automatic transmission... But there are times that I just want to shift -- or even set my own gear ratios...