Apple promotes The Beatles with ad, free iBook; Samsung again mocks iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

I'd say a larger problem is that there ARE a lot of baristas -- and young people working in such seemingly lowly jobs in general -- in today's economy. There's no reason to sneer at them, even if they're not creatives (though some of them really are).

Yet. Don't despair from mankind's amazing ability to create. Now, the older guys made such a mess that the younger ones are massively stuck with the boring stuff. History teaches though that intelligence and willpower will overall push people onwards. Just wait a few years and see them baristas push the barrier for culture again
  • Reply 42 of 131
    so their ad basically says, hey no one is buying our iPhone clone, so you should buy it? LOL. Samesung produces some of the worst products around. I will never buy another Samesung product again unless i it comes included in an Apple product. Hopefully Apple does away with all Samesung parts soon so i do not fund the cloner Samesung company.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Strangely enough the music and movie collection on my iPhone comes from multiple sources and is available streamed from a number of "cloud" based service providers.

Samsung has resorted to outright lies, pertaining to keeping a myth alive.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It means Samsung doesn't care if you boycott their other products, like this person:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Of course they don't.

It's not like they're a publicly traded company focused purely on profits, eh?

Exactly. If Samsung only made phones, these commercials wouldnt be bad at all. They obviously are aimed at kids. And let's be honest about two facts:

1- kids are idiots (just wanted to make that point )

2- kids often dictate to their parents what type of technology to buy or what is "cool".

Unfortunately, with America's obsession with youth- and the fact everyone wants to stay and look and act young, patents listen to their kids (there was an article here on AI that specifically mentioned that as being a large reason why apple is successful- amongst others).

Small rant- what is wrong with getting older? It used to be we looked at our elderly as wise and informative. Now they're just old and out of touch. And we look to 16-21 year olds for direction on life. Is there a dumber age group? Give me my 3 year old... At least she knows I know what's best for her.

But quiney and GTR hit it on the head... This isn't their only product. If insulting apple buyers (who obviously buy higher-end products and spend more often than most on gadgets) is smart business... Then they are mistaken. Apple doesn't have a tv, Blu ray player, sound systems, etc etc etc. Why would I want to buy those now that I get kicked in the nuts by you?
  • Reply 45 of 131
    I've never stood in line for ANY Apple product.

Frankly, I think it's a waste of time too. It's not like Apple is gonna actually run out of product.

They'll make more. Really they will.

But I get the whole "be the first on your block" mentality.

Samsung had fun with this. Big deal.
  • Reply 46 of 131
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

so their ad basically says, hey no one is buying our iPhone clone, so you should buy it? LOL. Samesung produces some of the worst products around. I will never buy another Samesung product again unless i it comes included in an Apple product. Hopefully Apple does away with all Samesung parts soon so i do not fund the cloner Samesung company.

'Samesung' I like that as much as Samdung. Nice.:
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Quote:

We were recently in the market for a fridge and washing machine. Up until recently we definitely would have purchased Samsung. However, Westinghouse and Bosch got our money purely due to Samsung's recent behavior in the court houses, and with their advertisements.

I am in the market for a 65-inch TV and an HD camcorder. I have ruled out Samsung from my set of choices.

I don't think the company remotely recognizes the negative spillover effects of its behavior on its corporate brand, especially given the spending power of Apple's customer base.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    I wish that Apple would do a reply advert in the same style but the people in the Apple queue come up with the answers and trump the Samsung phone (like we know would actually happen in real life).

Maybe starting with a "Sammy" store, manager inside rallying his staff with a motivational speech about quantity not quality of sales of their brand new, released that day, flagship model. Camera pans round to see massive queues passing the store entrance. The manager opens the doors and stands back as no one enters the store. Camera pans outside to see the queue of people is for the Apple store next door. Camera back on the manager saying "I wish our products were good enough to pull a crowd".
  • Reply 49 of 131
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wish that Apple would do a reply advert in the same style but the people in the Apple queue come up with the answers and trump the Samsung phone (like we know would actually happen in real life).

Maybe starting with a "Sammy" store, manager inside rallying his staff with a motivational speech about quantity not quality of sales of their brand new, released that day, flagship model. Camera pans round to see massive queues passing the store entrance. The manager opens the doors and stands back as no one enters the store. Camera pans outside to see the queue of people is for the Apple store next door. Camera back on the manager saying "I wish our products were good enough to pull a crowd".

They'd never do it although it would be funny (and true).

But those that have the lines never have to tear others down. They just promote their brand. No different than a politician behind in the polls.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am in the market for a 65-inch TV and an HD camcorder. I have ruled out Samsung from my set of choices.

I don't think the company remotely recognizes the negative spillover effects of its behavior on its corporate brand, especially given the spending power of Apple's customer base.

You said it. I'm even considering moving away from any Samsung products for my workplace (and that's a lot of products). Not to mention the badmouthing I'll give Samsung to my friends and family.

The vast majority of Apple users who've seen the ad that I've spoken with feel the same way. Nice move, Samsung, lol.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wish that Apple would do a reply advert in the same style.

I hear what you're saying but really, I don't think Apple has to play that game. These days their own ads focus on what Apple can do, not what others can't. Yeah?
  • Reply 52 of 131
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

You said it. I'm even considering moving away from any Samsung products for my workplace (and that's a lot of products). Not to mention the badmouthing I'll give Samsung to my friends and family.

The vast majority of Apple users who've seen the ad that I've spoken with feel the same way. Nice move, Samsung, lol.

I dont think it's a big issue. Sure, there will be some that feel the way you two do but most won't care because they won't identify with the people in the video. The characters are farcical to the extreme, right out of an SNL or Funny Or Die skit.

It's a funny video and should appeal to buyers debating on which Android-based to buy. Vendors using Android have to make their product stand out the way the WinPC vendors had to find a way to stand out. So far Samsung is the only one with consistent success in this arena.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I dont think it's a big issue. Sure, there will be some that feel the way you two do but most won't care because they won't identify with the people in the video. The characters are farcical to the extreme, right out of an SNL or Funny Or Die skit.

It's a funny video and should appeal to buyers debating on which Android-based to buy. Vendors using Android have to make their product stand out the way the WinPC vendors had to find a way to stand out. So far Samsung is the only one with consistent success in this arena.

Some will think that it is farcical, for sure, but I think you're perhaps missing a larger issue. The Samsung-Apple spat is turning into a long-term one, and nastier. Samsung's responses to it are increasingly bizarre and insulting. That will have an impact on it's brand.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    First rule of advertising. Never mention the competition.

THe only thing you'll remember from that commercial is the iPhone.

Another thing I've noticed from Window's / Android ads is that they try and make their commercials funny by making their characters geeky or doing dumb things.

Apple's commercials focus on what you can do and how cool the users are.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:

Some will think that it is farcical, for sure, but I think you're perhaps missing a larger issue. The Samsung-Apple spat is turning into a long-term one, and nastier. Samsung's responses to it are increasingly bizarre and insulting. That will have an impact on it's brand.

I see Samsung taking Apple's phenomenal mindshare as desire and making it even more fantastical to the point of absurdity. That's comedy, and it's usually at someone's expense. That doesn't mean it's in "good taste" but that's irrelevant unless it negatively affects business.

You may be right that it will hurt their brand but I think it will be okay and the risk of entrenching themselves even further as the only "real" profitably Android-based vendor seems to be paying off.

Note they aren't going after all people that use Apple products or even those that wait in lines (which Samsung clearly wishes it had) but of those that are fanatical. I make fun of fanatics, too, because they are going to the extreme.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

First rule of advertising. Never mention the competition.

THe only thing you'll remember from that commercial is the iPhone.

Another thing I've noticed from Window's / Android ads is that they try and make their commercials funny by making their characters geeky or doing dumb things.

Apple's commercials focus on what you can do and how cool the users are.

With the iPhone and iPad Apple is definitely appealing to emotion, but with the Get A Mac campaign they clearly mentioned the competition. At first and mostly in the generic rendering to the 'PC' but later, after Windows Vista had such a bad name, they addressed it directly.

It's not often you can successfully advertise that way. You have to wait for a negative mindshare to dominate before it can work.

The one thing you don't do is attack potential customers if you ever want them to be customers, but I think Samsung knows who their target market is, as well as the judge that said Apple customers aren't going to buy a Samung knockoff.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Gimme a break. This commercial makes NO sense. For starters, you can currently get the iphone 4S WITHOUT having to wait on a long line...so it's bad timing on Samsungs part. They should have released this commercial during the initial launch.

But even then, it just makes Samsung look like Jealous whinny bitches. Lol. Seriously. Samsung WISHES that people liked their products THAT much that they would wait in LINE out in the cold for them. HA! In their DREAMS!

It's funny how the attitude towards Apple has come full circle in the last 15 years or so. I've been an Apple user since the mid 90s. Before it was "cool" to be one. Back when there were no Apple retail stores and no long lines. When you had to go to Comp USA or some other PC store, and ask snooty PC nerds where the Apple section was, and they'd laugh and point to some dark corner of the store.

Back then it was only cool to a select group of people to be an Apple user. We thought it was cool....but the majority of people didn't. Like the Steve Jobs created ad, we were the dreamers...the outsiders....the rebels. We thought different.

Then the ipod and iphone went mainstream and Apple has their own stores and Comp USA doesn't even exist anymore. Funny how the tables have turned.

But heres the thing, Samsung and the competition can't pull off the same underdog status that Apple once did. They aren't dreamers, outsiders OR Rebels.....they just SUCK.

And Apple, although the big guy on campus now....STILL makes better more inovative products that just...work.

:-)
  • Reply 57 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

So I should get the samsung because if I want the iPhone I will have in a line up for 36 hours?

No, you should get a Samsung because if you want the iPhone you will be similar to a pack of ignorant weirdos.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The question is how many of these people ... are there?

Plenty enough to profitably support a gigantic national TV advertisement campaign.

Most people laugh at Apple fans.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    Quote:

Could we not refer to them as 'Sammy-fans' or 'Fandroids'?

According to some, the most clever iterations incorporate the term "retard" somewhere within them.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Most people laugh at Apple fans.

Aw gee, I'm really broken up that someone from Samdung might laugh at me because I buy the best personal computer technology or cell phone on the planet rather than some cheap Korean imitation.