Plausible G5 Power Mac Design...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Considering the recent designs by apple I think this is a very plausable PMG5 design...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    I bet they release a model with at least cd drive bay.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    lol...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    No way. I think Jonathan Ive is woking on a Powermac just as he did the iMac. The new Powermac case should reflect cutting edge design for the price people pay for it.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    If it's evolutionary, it's going to be a QS case with an extra 5.25" bay, thus a little higher.

If it's going to be revolutionary, which is more likely, I doubt anyone will be able to design it, they failed with the iMac too, altogether.

However I think it's going to be a more use and less looks oriented design. Square shapes a more stackable and more space effective, and with Apple wanting to enter the server market, it'd make sense. Maybe there will even be a 19" rack-mount version.

G-News
  • Reply 5 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This one is the coolest that I've seen, but it has an internal access problem by the looks of it.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 30
    elppaelppa Posts: 5member
    yuck i dont like that one at all... the first one is cooler and i think a rack-mount version would do wonders for apple.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by elppA:

<strong>yuck i dont like that one at all... the first one is cooler and i think a rack-mount version would do wonders for apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man your insane! That thing looks tuff as all h3ll. The chrome, or metal fits in line with the PowerBook TI look, and the iPod. Plus you can't miss the X factor. It still has the handles (that we all used to criticize, but now can't do without). Look at how much room there is for drive bays. You know storage has become something that we can't get enough of in the past few years. Which IMO would be another step in the right direction for Apple. there is just never enough storage. Although I also am liking the white look of iBook, and front of iPod. I have another G5 mochup jpeg that plucked up from somewhere. I'll get it.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Lol... Looks like a UPS to me...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    I want something with not a large footprint and that I can put on the floor. You know, like the current tower.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Personaly, I'd say if it were white it would look allright. The design doesn't fit as well with metal. I still say it's not big enough for added drive bay space.

Put it this way. If I were in charge of my own PowerMac G5 design. The X Cromium design (just made that name up, can you tell) would be what I choose. That would be an awesome BTO offer., but probably totaly unreasonable in Apple's eyes.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 30
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by David R:

<strong>I want something with not a large footprint and that I can put on the floor. You know, like the current tower.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What?!!? Who puts their towers on the floor!?!?

They need to be up on a desk, platform or pedestal with halogen spot lights illuminating it!!

• Reply 12 of 30
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Quoted from: Jeremiah Rich

[quote] Lol... Looks like a UPS to me...

<hr></blockquote>

that is the original picture I used...

I was just looking for a simple white box...

Apple is really like this simplicity thing...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 13 of 30
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    I think it's going to be a more use and less looks oriented design. Square shapes a more stackable and more space effective, and with Apple wanting to enter the server market, it'd make sense.

Round works well for stacking, in a pyramid. You'd just have to put some type of ring shaped object on the floor/desk for the ones on the bottom row to sit on (so they don't roll away). Or Apple could make something like a giant billiard rack to secure them all in place...

On second thought, spheres could be hung from the ceiling. Imagine, a G5 mobile..
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Ferro, I first thought that thing was one of those white Bose sub-woofers from their "home theater in a box" setups.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member

Ugg. This thing looks like a multi-slice toaster.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    it looks like it would slip out of your hands when you take it out of the box (the last pic)

though it does look pretty cool
  • Reply 17 of 30
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I bet the handles will be more hidden this time.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think instead of actual protruding "handles", a more subtle and elegant solution (I need a tight black T-shirt, a buzzcut and to start gesturing wildly...) would be to have molded, "curved-in" areas where you can put your fingers/hands to carry it.

The current G4 tower, with the handles mirrored on the bottom seems to be mostly for aesthetics (to balance it out and match the top handles...although, it DOES lift the G4 body off the ground a bit...but, is this necessary? Cooling? Airflow? I don't know...).

I'd like to see a case WITHOUT stuff sticking out and, instead, nice little recessed areas that act as built-in handles.

IF the handles even need to be there. I'm not entirely convinced they do. I mean, I know they're nice and convenient and most everyone likes them, but that doesn't seem to stop Apple from doing some of the things they do.

I mean, as far as I know, it's not written in stone that the Power Mac tower "HAS to have handles", right?

You know, now that the new iMac is out and I really have no reason to draw iMac mockups anymore (and the TiBook and iBook currently rock in their designs), maybe I can learn a new hobby and take up "Power Mac tower mockups"!

Gee, a whole new area. I just don't have the love and affinity for the pro stuff that I do the iStuff, so probably not. I'd just draw a silver box and call it "done".

• Reply 19 of 30
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong> This one is the coolest that I've seen, but it has an internal access problem by the looks of it.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Different looking, but I like it.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    [quote] Ugg. This thing looks like a multi-slice toaster. <hr></blockquote>

We heare this a lot about proposed new designs. I personally think there are some awesome looking toasters out there. What do you have against them?