Apple's next-gen iPad arriving in 3-4 months, suppliers say

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Sources within Apple's supply chain have suggested that the next generation of iPads will arrive on the market in the next 3-4 months.

DigiTimes claims that the Cupertino, Calif., company's manufacturing partners have already begun delivering parts and components for the third-generation iPad to OEM contractors while preparing to draw down production of the iPad 2, according to its sources.

The report went on to note that OEM production of the iPad 2 is expected to remain steady at 14-15 million units in the December quarter, before declining to 4-5 million units in the first quarter of 2012. Sources said production of the so-called iPad 3 will reach 9.5-9.8 million units next quarter.

China's Commercial Times has reported Citigroup analyst Kevin Chang as saying that Foxconn will begin producing the device in January ahead of large-scale production in February.

The firm also recently claimed that the third-gen iPad will arrive in February, a month earlier than DigiTimes' reported timeline. Analyst Richard Gardner said sources had indicated there were no "significant technical hurdles remaining" for the device.

Apple has thus far preferred to release previous generations of the iPad in the spring. The original iPad was announced in January 2010 and launched in April. The second-generation iPad was announced in March of this year and shipped later that month.

The next-generation iPad is widely believed to include a display with Retina Display-like quality. The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Apple has invested in a Sharp factory for production of LCD panels for the next iPad. Those panels have been rumored to utilize IGZO (indium, gallium, zinc) technology to help provide a thinner design while improving battery life.

A recent report out of Japan claimed the iPad 3 may actually be slightly thicker than the current-generation iPad 2, though the reason for the purported increase remains unknown. The device will, however, reportedly still be compatible with Apple's Smart Cover.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    A February debut for the iPad doesn't make sense: A.) based on Apple's previous release history, and most importantly B.) the shutdown of various Chinese companies in observance of the Lunar New Year. The latter would affect the entire supply chain (i.e., most of the component suppliers), not just final assembly partners like Foxconn, Pegatron, etc.

One would assume that the next-generation iPad has a new SoC, presumably the A6, so again an early arrival doesn't seem plausible.

A March-April timeframe is much more believable.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The next-generation iPad is widely believed to include a display with Retina Display-like quality. The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Apple has invested in a Sharp factory for production of LCD panels for the next iPad. Those panels have been rumored to utilize IGZO (indium, gallium, zinc) technology

I hope it is a big beautiful Retina Display. That would be something to behold.

But I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That makes perfect sense, as it puts it in line for it's yearly update and roughly 12 months since the last one was released. There will also be a huge demand for it, so many people won't be able to get one right away, just like with the iPad 2. So, even if it were to get released in 3-4 months, people shouldn't count on getting one right away. It could be a half a year away or more until it's actually easy to get your paws on one.

One thing is for sure though. There sure were a lot of suckers who bought into the ridiculous and dumb rumor that an iPad 3 would be released in the fall of 2011. That rumor was so damn stupid and ignorant, and I can't believe that anybody could actually fall for that one.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    These iPad3 rumors are all lining up...

I think we are overdue for some wide-eyed iPad4 rumors!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quad-core Cortex-A9-based A6 SoCs or dual-core Cortex-A15-based A6s? I'm going with quad-core Cortex-A9s (and quad-core GPUs).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

China's Commercial Times has reported Citigroup analyst Kevin Chang as saying that Foxconn will begin producing the device in January ahead of large-scale production in February.

If they aren't producing until January then we aren't likely getting these until March or April. I'd expect the production to have started in November or December for a February to March launch.

PS: Looks like Samsung might try to beat Apple to the punchwith a prototype Galaxy Tab with a 2560x1600 display. That's about 4ppi below what the Retina Display iPad will have at 264ppi, so basically on par with other in pixel density. However that's an extra million pixels, or about 30% more pixels to push so I wouldn't expect such a device to be on the market until at least 6 months after an iPad with Retina Display, to have poor performance and battery life, and to first be released in some limited fashion in a country with little impact in sales just so Samsung can claim some Pyrrhic victory.

Of course, if they do have a prototype at CES that on one can touch the asshats on this forum will forever claim that Samsung did it first and that Apple copied them regardless of how much of longer it takes Samsung to bring their device to market. Well, at any rate it does lend another point to the iPad 3 rumour being true.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course, if they do have a prototype at CES that on one can touch the asshats on this forum will forever claim that Samsung did it first and that Apple copied them regardless of how much of longer it takes Samsung to bring their device to market.

Won't make any difference, as long as it's still running Android. No matter who comes out with what, none of them would be releasing any tablets if it weren't for the iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I have my doubts on the 'retina' display. Don't get me wrong, I would be elated to see such a display on a tablet, but the fact that its pushing significantly more pixels than a 1080p display, plus the fact that the majority of laptops can't even source decent 720p panels leaves me somewhat doubtful. To put it in perspective, its is as many pixels as the apple 30" cinema display in a 10" handheld device. That's just mindblowing to me.

eitherway, with or without a retina display, I'll be interest to see what apple does with the ipad3 and a6. Google and asus have thrown down the gauntlet with ICS and the transformer prime respectively; lets see how apple responds.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

PS: Looks like Samsung might try to beat Apple to the punchwith a prototype Galaxy Tab with a 2560x1600 display. That's about 4ppi below what the Retina Display

Are you sure of the PPI? Don't forget, this is rumored to be an 11.6 inch device. If it is real, it sounds like it could be really nice.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    . . .
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Quad-core Cortex-A9-based A6 SoCs or dual-core Cortex-A15-based A6s? I'm going with quad-core Cortex-A9s (and quad-core GPUs).

Anand predicts a 32nm A9-based design for A6, and I'm inclined to believe him.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/7
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Anand predicts a 32nm A9-based design for A6, and I'm inclined to believe him.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/7

I agree with that, but I do wonder if in 6 months Apple might just skip that chip for the next iPhone and go with Cortex-A15 as they will be ready. I think that is the harder option to predict.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

I agree with that, but I do wonder if in 6 months Apple might just skip that chip for the next iPhone and go with Cortex-A15 as they will be ready. I think that is the harder option to predict.

perhaps, but it seems wasteful or inefficient to create an SoC that would only be used for less than a year on a single device...

if apple goes that route, I would expect the ipad 3 to use a higher clocked a5 (its still pretty damn fast), while saving the A-15 based a6 for the iphone... 5? 6?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

perhaps, but it seems wasteful or inefficient to create an SoC that would only be used for less than a year on a single device...

if apple goes that route, I would expect the ipad 3 to use a higher clocked a5 (its still pretty damn fast), while saving the A-15 based a6 for the iphone... 5? 6?

I can't find any info that seems legit, but my concern is really for power efficiency. If Cortex-A15 can bring that then I think it might be worth the unusual stepping.

It's not like Apple won't be making a lot of the Cortex-A9 A6s. I figure an iPad plus an iPod Touch update coming, perhaps also with a new AppleTV and some other A6-based devices. Even if it's just the new iPad and Touch that would still be 100(?) million Cortex-A9s being used over the course of a year.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Nah, I can't see that happening. Apple's always used the same CPU's for the iPads and the iPhones, with the iPhone CPU running underclocked versions of the iPad CPU.

Apple is more of an underclocker than an overclocker and a slightly overclocked A5 isn't going to cut it for the iPad 3, not to mention heat problems and other issues, and it wouldn't represent any big increase in performance. The iPad 3 is going to need a more powerful CPU than simply overclocking an A5. That would be beyond lame.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Stop being an ass.

am I seeing things or are you quoting a nonexistant post?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nah, I can't see that happening. Apple's always used the same CPU's for the iPads and the iPhones, with the iPhone CPU running underclocked versions of the iPad CPU.

Apple is more of an underclocker than an overclocker and a slightly overclocked A5 isn't going to cut it for the iPad 3, not to mention heat problems and other issues, and it wouldn't represent any big increase in performance. The iPad 3 is going to need a more powerful CPU than simply overclocking an A5. That would be beyond lame.

I'm more worried about the gpu, especially if the retina rumors are to be believed; that thing will be pushing a lot of additional pixels. Cpu wise, there won't be much performance increase on a per clock basis if apple is going with the A9 for the ipad 3. If they want to significantly increase compute performance, they're going to have to do it via higher clocks or via increase in core count (ie. Quad core).

the good news is that with a process shrink to 32nm, they should have the thermal and power headroom to do both.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

I'm more worried about the gpu, especially if the retina rumors are to be believed; that thing will be pushing a lot of additional pixels.

Yes, that is true. If there is some sort of super hi-res display, there's going to be a lot more pixels to push around, but the GPU performance from iPad 1 to iPad 2 did increase substantially, so I see no reason why the GPU performance can't increase again from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

If they aren't producing until January then we aren't likely getting these until March or April. I'd expect the production to have started in November or December for a February to March launch.

PS: Looks like Samsung might try to beat Apple to the punchwith a prototype Galaxy Tab with a 2560x1600 display. That's about 4ppi below what the Retina Display iPad will have at 264ppi, so basically on par with other in pixel density. However that's an extra million pixels, or about 30% more pixels to push so I wouldn't expect such a device to be on the market until at least 6 months after an iPad with Retina Display, to have poor performance and battery life, and to first be released in some limited fashion in a country with little impact in sales just so Samsung can claim some Pyrrhic victory.

Of course, if they do have a prototype at CES that on one can touch the asshats on this forum will forever claim that Samsung did it first and that Apple copied them regardless of how much of longer it takes Samsung to bring their device to market. Well, at any rate it does lend another point to the iPad 3 rumour being true.

Did you just passive agressively start an argument against no one?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Yes, that is true. If there is some sort of super hi-res display, there's going to be a lot more pixels to push around, but the GPU performance from iPad 1 to iPad 2 did increase substantially, so I see no reason why the GPU performance can't increase again from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3.

what's better than the SGX543 tho?

mali400?

unless I missed some gpu announcements, the SGX543 is pretty much top of the line.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I don't much of anything about GPUs but I read about how this spec bump is 15x more triangles or whatever which I assume increases the frame rates, textures and other graphical elements. I don't know how these improvements relate to adding pixels but I'd think it's a lot more straightforward. We're talking going from 786,432 pixels to 3,145,728 pixels. The iPad already pushes more pixels than the iPhone 4 with Retina Display. Has anything from ImgTech or Nvidia claimed a feasible claim to HiDPI displays with mobile iGPUs with feasible performance?