Apple's Mac App Store downloads top 100 million

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple revealed on Monday that downloads via its Mac App Store have topped 100 million in less than one year of operations.

"In just three years the App Store changed how people get mobile apps, and now the Mac App Store is changing the traditional PC software industry," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With more than 100 million downloads in less than a year, the Mac App Store is the largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world."

Apple's collective App Stores for iOS and the Mac have more than 500,000 applications available that have been downloaded more than 18 billion times. Users continue to download more than a billion applications per month.

Apple's press release issued on Monday also includes comments from a number of developers and companies who have found success with the Mac App Store, which debuted in January.

"With Autodesk products in both the App Store and Mac App Store, we can reach hundreds of millions of Apple users around the world," said Amar Hanspal, senior vice president of Platform Solutions and Emerging Business at Autodesk. "With our free AutoCAD WS and the more powerful professional drafting tools of AutoCAD LT, we’re using the Mac App Store to deliver new products and reach a growing base of new Mac customers."

"The Mac App Store has unparalleled reach and has completely transformed our distribution and development cycle," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "Offering Pixelmator 2.0 exclusively on the Mac App Store allows us to streamline updates to our image editing software and stay ahead of the competition."

"In less than one year we’ve shifted the distribution of djay for Mac exclusively to the Mac App Store," said Karim Morsy, CEO of algoriddim. "With just a few clicks, djay for Mac is available to customers in 123 countries worldwide. We could never have that reach through traditional channels."

The Mac App Store has helped Apple push for an all-digital strategy in software distribution, allowing the company to remove disc drives from a good portion of its Mac lineup. The company also made the Mac App Store the preferred way for customers to upgrade to its latest operating system, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Apple's focus with the Mac App Store has also allowed the company to discontinue boxed software at its retail stores. Customers at Apple's retail stores are now instructed to purchase their software through the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    In the 1990's Larry Ellison was actively campaigning to replace shrink-wrapped boxed software with all-Internet distributed software. Slow modems made that unrealistic. It took awhile but it now looks like we are starting to get there.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users continue to download more than a billion applications per month.

That's a hell of a lot of downloads.

I probably only buy around 10 things a month on average, but I'm doing my part to add to that number.

I don't see myself buying any boxed software ever again. Who needs lame Cd's and Dvd's? They're obsolete as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I probably only buy around 10 things a month on average, but I'm doing my part to add to that number.

I don't see myself buying any boxed software ever again. Who needs lame Cd's and Dvd's? They're obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I have to agree. CD's and DVD's, while not quite yet obsolete, are certainly very low on my preference. Perhaps CD's are obsolete. I still like getting physical copies of games, if only for the trade-in value when I am done using it. And if I am going to own a movie, I will almost always buy the boxed blu-ray copy. (Although I do always look for the combo packs that come with the DVD and digital copy with it as well).
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And if I am going to own a movie, I will almost always buy the boxed blu-ray copy. (Although I do always look for the combo packs that come with the DVD and digital copy with it as well).

WHY~?! You already own the movie; don't waste more money on a "digital copy" that you ALREADY LEGALLY CAN HAVE! I swear, that's the biggest scam in movies today. Forcing you to pay more for getting the content twice.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Whoops, mis-read the title.

Thought it was like the album charts top 10.

Downloads top 100 million would be a hell of a list to look through!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good time to submit a Mac App. Just submitted mine on Saturday : )
  • Reply 7 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I still like getting physical copies of games, if only for the trade-in value when I am done using it.

In the past year or two, I've been buying most of my games through STEAM, and a few from the Mac App Store.

That way, I will own them for life, and even if all of my computers were to break down tomorrow or get stolen or whatever, I'll always have my entire collection waiting for me in the Cloud.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHY~?! You already own the movie; don't waste more money on a "digital copy" that you ALREADY LEGALLY CAN HAVE! I swear, that's the biggest scam in movies today. Forcing you to pay more for getting the content twice.

That takes time and effort some people don't want to spend. I like buying the Disney blu rays that come with the BR and DVD and sometimes the digital copy as well. Mostly cuz my daughters are 6 and 3 1/2 and I've seen the damage they do to movies, I'd rather let them have the regular DVD from that set, but I'd like to have the higher quality copy around for later. Plus if they ever screw the original DVD up too badly I can always rip a new DVD if I had to. The digital copies can go on my wife's iPad for roadtrips.

Admittedly I don't buy movies very often and this is mostly classic Disney films that I know we'll be watching still years from now. It isn't like I'm paying extra for multiple copies of G-Force
  • Reply 9 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

In the past year or two, I've been buying most of my games through STEAM, and a few from the Mac App Store.

That way, I will own them for life, and even if all of my computers were to break down tomorrow or get stolen or whatever, I'll always have my entire collection waiting for me in the Cloud.

And if the developer is using iCloud backup all your app settings can be pushed back to the app when you set up a new machine, even before using Time Machine for a full data back up. It's nice to know you'll get the same setup between machines, which is a way to encourage more frequent sales of new machines.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I do agree that once you purchase something like a movie or music, then it becomes yours to do with as you please on a personal level. However, the combo packs are great, as I do want a Blu-Ray copy and DVD/Digital copy. I don't have a Blu-Ray burner, plus the file size is too a large, to rip movies onto my computer and back them up on a separate external. The digital copy and DVD are redundant for the most part, but gives a little more latitude than one or the other.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's just so convenient. I hate buying from websites now. You have to fill out a form telling them all your details, and sometimes the same again for whatever web payment firm they have outsourced to.

Then your license file arrives along with a "complimentary" subscription to whatever "newsletter" they provide. You can unsubscribe, but it's too late, their "partners" already have your email address. Two weeks later your downlink link expires, so you better have backed it up by then. And God forbid you try and install it on 2 computers.

Buying on the web is inconvenient and ad-laden. Web apps themselves are the lowest common denominator. Honestly the web should go back to being for hypertext (Wikipedia is great) and app stores (it seems obvious in retrospect) should be part of the OS, so they can use native APIs for installation, updating and security.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's just so convenient. I hate buying from websites now. You have to fill out a form telling them all your details, and sometimes the same again for whatever web payment firm they have outsourced to.

Then your license file arrives along with a "complimentary" subscription to whatever "newsletter" they provide. You can unsubscribe, but it's too late, their "partners" already have your email address.

Yeah, and losing the licence key is a pain in the butt.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, and losing the licence key is a pain in the butt.

I don't know about anyone else but for years I used an email draft letter to hold such personal data. Sometimes just in plain text in the body, other times as a file, sometimes protected.

Now I just use 1Password, which is also great for having unique passwords across all sites.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good time to submit a Mac App. Just submitted mine on Saturday : )

Promo code right here please !

I try to make all my purchases through the MAS because it makes app portability a piece of cake. Though I am wary of buying apps that may run afoul of Sandboxing requirements.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know about anyone else but for years I used an email draft letter to hold such personal data. Sometimes just in plain text in the body, other times as a file, sometimes protected.

Now I just use 1Password, which is also great for having unique passwords across all sites.

1Password is a great App. Been using it for years now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple revealed on Monday that downloads via its Mac App Store have topped 100 million in less than one year of operations.

Its the only way. DVD installations seem positively antiquated. For years the first thing we had to do after we had installed the App from a DVD / CD was to go online and get the updated version. The only reason to keep the Insatallation Disk would be to store the Serial Number ...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its the only way. DVD installations seem positively antiquated. For years the first thing we had to do after we had installed the App from a DVD / CD was to go online and get the updated version. The only reason to keep the Insatallation Disk would be to store the Serial Number ...

i bought a blu ray with digital copy sometime back and at the time thought it was a real file on one of the DVD's in the pack. now i learn that it's just a code where the studio pays apple or someone for a digital copy of the movie.

i'll use the optical drive to rip copies of movies i own to watch on my ipad or iphone
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know about anyone else but for years I used an email draft letter to hold such personal data.

Same same.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Promo code right here please !

Sure thing. After approval. Remind me if I forget.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

I agree. I do not like having to look for that elusive CD or DVD. First the iPhone, then the iPad, with their app stores.

Then I replaced Windows PC with Mac Book Pro and haven't looked back.

I have been big in supporting windows among my friends and family for over 35 years but no more. I finally got a life!

The Mac app store could be better but it is a great first try. I can see that Microsoft thinks they can copy the app store with Windows 8 Metro. I should be interesting to see the world's reaction.

I bet they pull it of much to the anguish of those with a vested interest in not having their software vetted by a third party. If I had a retail store full of boxed software I would dump that ASAP before I was stuck with it. Boxed software will vanish just like the eight track tape, remember those?