Quarterly US Mac sales up 13%, expected to grow in December

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The latest domestic sales data from the NPD Group shows the Mac lineup demonstrating 13 percent year over year growth in the first two months of the current quarter, a growth number Wall Street watchers expect Apple will handily exceed when the December quarter is concluded.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray revealed the latest NPD data for October and November on Monday, noting that the numbers are "soft" compared to what is expected of Apple for the December quarter. But the data only represents Apple's Mac sales in the U.S., and does not include the platform's worldwide growth.

Investors generally expect Apple to sell about 5.2 million Macs in the December quarter, which would translate to year over year growth of 25 percent. The NPD data showed desktop units up 5 percent year over year in the month of November, while notebooks were up 9 percent from 2010.

Munster is maintaining his projection of between 5.1 million and 5.3 million Mac sales in the December quarter, which would be a record for the company. He noted that last year, 48 percent of NPD units in the December quarter came in the month of December.

"Also, we believe international Mac sales are likely growing faster than domestic Mac units (and NPD does not track international Mac sales)," Munster wrote. "Net-net, we are maintaining our range of 5.1m-5.3m, or 23%-28% (year over year) growth."

Munster estimates that Mac sales will represent 18 percent of Apple's overall revenue in the company's December quarter.

The latest NPD data also shows iPod sales down 14 percent year over year. That suggests that Apple is ahead of consensus, and on track to sell about 15.5 million total units in the December quarter, down 20 percent year over year.

October sales figures from NPD showed Mac sales up 19 percent in the first month of the December quarter. The company is on track to best its previous best of 4.89 million Macs sold in the September quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    People are finally wisening up.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The Chairman of HP got his!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Although I would like to point out that this article is a positive thing. There are allot of people who still hate us mac users. Google search I hate Apple. and then google search I hate Microsoft.

The results are.

1) I hate Apple. Search hits.

About 176,000,000 results

2) I hate Microsoft.

About 3,930,000 results

3) Apple sucks.

About 65,500,000 results

4) Microsoft sucks.

About 42,200,000 results

So Apple gets more hits. One might think that Google shouldn't be a accurate way to gauge peoples opinion of Apple. However having hits on a topic can defiantly determine where ones favorite company might stand amount web surfers.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Although I would like to point out that this article is a positive thing. There are allot of people who still hate us mac users. Google search I hate Apple. and then google search I hate Microsoft.

The results are.

1) I hate Apple. Search hits.

About 176,000,000 results

2) I hate Microsoft.

About 3,930,000 results

3) Apple sucks.

About 65,500,000 results

4) Microsoft sucks.

About 42,200,000 results

So Apple gets more hits. One might think that Google shouldn't be a accurate way to gauge peoples opinion of Apple. However having hits on a topic can defiantly determine where ones favorite company might stand amount web surfers.

Adding quotes changes this to:

"I Hate Apple": About 1,130,000 results

"I Hate Microsoft": About 1,620,000 results

This gets rid of the Apple Pie haters
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

Adding quotes changes this to:

"I Hate Apple": About 1,130,000 results

"I Hate Microsoft": About 1,620,000 results

This gets rid of the Apple Pie haters

Although I have to agree. One would think that most people would not type their search with quotes.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    This poor man is not in touch with life. He seems to be very much delusional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOnhS-5f2s
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    For all the haters, MS stock has been flat for a decade. What has happened to Apple stock and Apple sales?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

This poor man is not in touch with life. He seems to be very much delusional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOnhS-5f2s

Who wrote that? Jiverly Wong?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

For all the haters, MS stock has been flat for a decade. What has happened to Apple stock and Apple sales?

well yes... but they (MSFT shareholders) do get a dividend. What would be interesting would be to do a return on investment for both AAPL and MSFT. The problem is what time scale to choose.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    It would be interesting to see how this compares to the overall y/y growth in the US PC market. If the overall market shrunk by 5-10% then Apple might be gaining share at the same pace as has been normal for the last 5 years. But if the overall market was flat, then Apple may be starting to hit some headwinds in terms of the rate of marketshare growth.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

well yes... but they (MSFT shareholders) do get a dividend. What would be interesting would be to do a return on investment for both AAPL and MSFT. The problem is what time scale to choose.

Under any reasonable time frame, AAPL has done far better than MSFT - even if you include the Microsoft dividend.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Although I have to agree. One would think that most people would not type their search with quotes.

tylerk36, Are you suggesting that because someone may improperly use a search engine to glean data, that makes the results valid?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

tylerk36, Are you suggesting that because someone may improperly use a search engine to glean data, that makes the results valid?

On the contrary, I think he is suggesting that HE doesn't know how to use a search engine...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Even though I think that Android sucks, I do use Google for my searching needs and being able to search properly is a pretty important skill to have. Knowing how to search properly saves a ton of time and it also leads to far more accurate results, as you can pinpoint exactly what you're looking for.

If anybody is ignorant about searching, then they should take a look at this link, as it provides some pretty useful information, and things can also get far more advanced than simply putting quotes around your search term.

http://support.google.com/websearch/...?answer=136861
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

People are finally wisening up.

yes the time of broken windows is coming to an end
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

On the contrary, I think he is suggesting that HE doesn't know how to use a search engine...

Well there are those of us who were better at shooting people in foreign countries than learning how to be meticulous with our searching engine punctuation. I would almost agree with you on this. Have a wonderful bipedal day. I know I will have a wonderful two wheeled wheel chair day. Thanks for paying for my wheel chair by the way you tax payer you.