Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    Droid - Star Wars

Majel - Star Trek

Now if they can only work-in a feature named "Gandalf" they will have accomplished the fantasy-nerd trifecta.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

LOL - Try having an original idea.

HAHAHA. Apple purchased the company that created Siri. Siri isn't even Apple's idea to being with. Try having some knowledge about the subject before posting. And speech recognition is a VERY old idea. Yes there have been some advancements, but Apple has nothing to do with them.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

It is terribly me-too. Google used to innovate.

Shhh... let's never speak of that ever again.
  • Reply 24 of 180
    I think the whole "think up an original idea" line is meant to be "Hey Google, why don't YOU come out with the brand new, killer feature that everyone talks about, first? It just seems like you scoffed sarcastically when Siri dropped, and now that it's a household name you're scrambling to clone it." Apple didn't invent Siri, they bought it, but they did a damn fine job integrating it with their existing structure.
  • Reply 25 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

YES bash the non officially announced feature in android. Bash a rumor.

That's what we do on these forums, every day.
  • Reply 26 of 180
    A) this is a rumor

B) this is just an evolution of voice actions, something which already exists on Android and has for a while

C) Apple didn't invent Siri

D) Apple has no monopoly on voice action, voice control, etc etc etc.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Droid - Star Wars

Majel - Star Trek

Now if they can only work-in a feature named "Gandalf" they will have accomplished the fantasy-nerd trifecta.

That's actually funny.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

HAHAHA. Apple purchased the company that created Siri. Siri isn't even Apple's idea to being with. Try having some knowledge about the subject before posting. And speech recognition is a VERY old idea. Yes there have been some advancements, but Apple has nothing to do with them.

If this was so obvious and so simple, why hasn't everyone else done it?
  • Reply 29 of 180
    Quote:

They don't have to. The usual suspectz will say Google started working on natural language processing years before Siri, therefore, Apple copied Google's original idea. And by the way, all those sci-fi movies featuring machines that can understand natural language? Also copied from Google.
  • Reply 30 of 180
    Quote:

I think the whole "think up an original idea" line is meant to be "Hey Google, why don't YOU come out with the brand new, killer feature that everyone talks about, first? It just seems like you scoffed sarcastically when Siri dropped, and now that it's a household name you're scrambling to clone it." Apple didn't invent Siri, they bought it, but they did a damn fine job integrating it with their existing structure.

Well said
  • Reply 31 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If this was so obvious and so simple, why hasn't everyone else done it?

Well hey...Apple had to buy it...

remember that.

You going to credit Apple with 3D maps when that comes out too?

You going to credit Google with inventing Android?

You do not get the right to claim ownership of an idea you bought and tweaked.

Since a lot of you like to slam Google for having bought Android the same thing goes in all directions.

I don't want to call a lot of you hypocrites or anything.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If you ask me an honest opinion I will tell you Siri at this point is just a gimmick in a new dress. I think in a few months people will not care to much about it. But this is just my opinion to features that do not add any real functionality to people.

And if you ask me, Siri has been an incredibly fun AND useful tool in my phone. I am amazed at how useful 'she' is especially considering how limited her integration in the OS has been. Not only is it fun to use the personal assistant aspect of the phone, it's actually quite helpful that I can save a number of steps using Siri vs. doing it all manually through the touch interface. Apple has launched a beta that is better than anything else out there, and is only going to get better with each subsequent release and over time.

If you ask me, Siri is a tremendous boon to Apple and their customers, and something the rest of the phone/OS makers should be frankly afraid of. They've blindsided the rest of the mobile world. And you'd be wise to bet that this isn't the last time, either.
  • Reply 33 of 180
    Quote:

That's an interesting perspective; Android has had voice recognition for well over over a year. Yes, Siri is an improvement over what Android offers. And no doubt Google will respond by improving Android.

Let's not try to pretend that Apple introduced voice recognition. In the smartphone realm they're a late player to the game.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    Quote:

Google Voice Actions came out in Froyo, in August 2010. Apple added Siri in August 2011, buying a voice recognition app from a smaller developer in order to quickly catch up. Android's voice recognition feature was a full year earlier. All this article is about is Google renaming GVA to something more catchy in order to better compete with Apple's marketing machine. Apple certainly didn't invent the idea, and they weren't first to introduce it in a smartphone OS either.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macwise View Post

And if you ask me, Siri has been an incredibly fun AND useful tool in my phone. I am amazed at how useful 'she' is especially considering how limited her integration in the OS has been. Not only is it fun to use the personal assistant aspect of the phone, it's actually quite helpful that I can save a number of steps using Siri vs. doing it all manually through the touch interface. Apple has launched a beta that is better than anything else out there, and is only going to get better with each subsequent release and over time.

If you ask me, Siri is a tremendous boon to Apple and their customers, and something the rest of the phone/OS makers should be frankly afraid of. They've blindsided the rest of the mobile world. And you'd be wise to bet that this isn't the last time, either.

Surprised? Apple blindsided the industry with the iphone, ipad, and the Macbook Air. Apple creates a demand and then all the "me too" companies come running in, trying to capitalise on Apple's success. Siri is just the latest iteration. It's a phenominal success, so of course Microsoft and Google want to emulate it. But Google using Majel Barrett's name is an insult! Mrs Barrett Roddenberry never had to be rebooted or crashed in the middle of a sentence! Imagine if the Enterprise had been using Android. Never would have made it out of space dock.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    Oh yeah, Droid has had voice recognition, but it doesn't hold a candle to Siri. I'm thinking of half a dozen Youtube videos wherein the author gives verbal commands to a new iPhone 4s and a new Droid handset sitting side by side on a coffee table. The author asks them both to find a Pizza shop near San Francisco. Siri pops up with a map of Pizza Huts, Dominos, Little Caesars, etc, and the Droid starts playing some Bowie song whose title apparently sounds like "San Francisco Pizza Shop".
  • Reply 37 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

That's an interesting perspective...

Let's not try to pretend that Apple introduced voice recognition. In the smartphone realm they're a late player to the game.

You seem quite sure about that. So, please tell, just how long Apple has employed some measure of voice recognition on iPhones?
  • Reply 38 of 180
    I know my 3gs had voice recognition, and that was 2 and a half years ago. Granted the extent of what it can do is repeat and play song titles I tell it to play. But still, it's recognizing my voice.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

HAHAHA. Apple purchased the company that created Siri.

Google purchased the company that created Android.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    Quote:

I know my 3gs had voice recognition, and that was 2 and a half years ago. Granted the extent of what it can do is repeat and play song titles I tell it to play. But still, it's recognizing my voice.

Exactly... and it was of most use to me in making hands-free calls.