American Airlines approved to use iPads over paper charts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

The Allied Pilots Association and AA collaborated with navigation and planning company Jeppesen to develop the iPad Electronic Flight Bag (EFB). The Boeing-owned company notes that its FliteDeck Pro Enroute application is the only FAA-approved digital replacement to paper counterparts, though AA has not stated whether it will use the program as its official EFB.

If "FliteDeck Pro Enroute application is the only FAA-approved digital replacement" and AA will begin replacing traditional paper charts on Friday then wouldn't they have to use FliteDeck Pro Enroute?

Or are they going to use unapproved software?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Take off and landing are dangerous but short and should something go wrong 200 iPads flying through the cabin would suck.

Yet we're all allowed to read books, even large hardcovers, during takeoff and landing. So if your claim were correct those would be disallowed too. Sorry, but the original article specifically mentions the FAA and "class 1" devices. It's definitely the threat of EMI that has been prohibiting iPads et al. And with that threat now not only scientifically disproven but admitted to be non-existent by the FAA, the prohibition should go away forthwith. (It almost certainly won't, but it should.)

Quote:

If an emergency escape from the craft is needed more people will have a chance at getting out alive if nobodies seat is leaned back and none of the trays are down.

Which has squat to do with whether iPads should be allowed during takeoff and landing. You can certainly force trays and seats to be up while also allowing iPads, no?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Only SOME airlines outside the U.S. "have to fly into the US." It's simply ridiculous to suggest otherwise. The original statement is completely inaccurate and a silly, needless exaggeration. The U.S. is obviously very important, but it's not the center of the universe. The FAA doesn't control what happens in every airline in every country. Try telling that to some in Europe, or Russia or China and you'll be laughed out of the room as a buffoon. Besides, if what you suggest is true, that the FAA dictates rules for the world's airlines, then it's even more of an exaggeration to include the word "world" because it would be ipso facto and therefor unnecessary to even point out, except to needlessly exaggerate.

Okay, let's look at the counter-argument. What if the article had said "American Airlines is the first airline in the USA to have been approved by the FAA to use an iPad...".

That would mean that it is possible that British Airways, which is not a US based airline could have already got approval from the FAA.

The statement was absolutely accurate. Its okay to make mistakes (I don't even want to count how many stupid comments I have made on AppleInsider itself) but doubling down on it just makes you look silly.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Muah ha ha ha not long before Siri/Skynet is plugged into having information on all flights all around the world, accelerating it's move towards self-awareness.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Take off and landing are dangerous but short and should something go wrong 200 iPads flying through the cabin would suck.

As opposed to 200 hardbacks, paperbacks, in-flight magazines, SkyMall, and newspapers?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Only SOME airlines outside the U.S. "have to fly into the US." It's simply ridiculous to suggest otherwise. The original statement is completely inaccurate and a silly, needless exaggeration. The U.S. is obviously very important, but it's not the center of the universe. The FAA doesn't control what happens in every airline in every country. Try telling that to some in Europe, or Russia or China and you'll be laughed out of the room as a buffoon. Besides, if what you suggest is true, that the FAA dictates rules for the world's airlines, then it's even more of an exaggeration to include the word "world" because it would be ipso facto and therefor unnecessary to even point out, except to needlessly exaggerate.

Does this change anything for any other airlines, which don't fly into the USA and therefore didn't need FAA approval in the first place?

No? Then you're right, the article is irrelevant to those airlines.

However, using a strict interpretation of the definitions of the words involved, answer this question: Did any other airline, anywhere in the world, have FAA approval to allow their pilots to use iPads during all phases of a commercial flight?

No? Then the article was, indeed, accurate. No matter how irrelevant it may be to some, the fact remains that it is still accurate.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    cggrcggr Posts: 37member
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cggr View Post

Does it matter any more??

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AS0T220111130

Hardly an elephant in the room.

Every major U.S. airline has filed for bankruptcy in the past 5 years. American simply held out longest. There is close to zero chance that AA will stop flying any time soon. In fact, if the experience of their competitors provides any clue, AA will emerge from bankruptcy stronger rather than weaker.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In fact, if the experience of their competitors provides any clue, AA will emerge from bankruptcy stronger rather than weaker.

Sure. Going into bankruptcy in order to break the promises made to your employees, unions, and in order to avoid paying your bills is practically an "American" institution by now.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Yet we're all allowed to read books, even large hardcovers, during takeoff and landing. So if your claim were correct those would be disallowed too. Sorry, but the original article specifically mentions the FAA and "class 1" devices. It's definitely the threat of EMI that has been prohibiting iPads et al. And with that threat now not only scientifically disproven but admitted to be non-existent by the FAA, the prohibition should go away forthwith. (It almost certainly won't, but it should.)

Which has squat to do with whether iPads should be allowed during takeoff and landing. You can certainly force trays and seats to be up while also allowing iPads, no?

Setting aside the fact that I'd much rather have even War and Peace bounce off the cabin ceiling and hit me on the head than glass and aluminum...

You missed my over all point, and edited it out. It's not about fairness ie: they have a book why can't I have my ebook. It's just one more thing to worry about for the crew. I think I downplayed the concern about interference coming from electronic devices in my original post, I'm sure that's a part of it. But there has been no effort that I've heard of from the FAA to look into that (for passenger use)and I bet that will continue. My guess is the FAA is happy to claim there might be a technical problem with allowing their use so they don't get bogged down with what's fair. I think fair is very low on their list of concerns.

After I posted I followed a previous posters link to an article that quoted someone from the FAA that used the same word I did "focus". Yes, a book or magazine can distract people also, and that's not fair.

You say that since pilots got approval for their use the ban on everyone else using them should be removed forthwith. For all electronic devices? Just the approved ones? Are we going to have the crew verify that everyone's device is compliant? Or just trust all the passengers ? So there are some issues still to consider before forthwith comes into play and as I said earlier fairness is likely not high on the list.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

As opposed to 200 hardbacks, paperbacks, in-flight magazines, SkyMall, and newspapers?

Yes. Paper flying through the cabin worries me far less than glass and aluminum.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    You have 1 device tested in one particular place and approved. It is impossible to test every possible electronic device in every possible seat in the aircraft. There are wires running all over the aircraft. What do you think makes more sense, having electronic devices all off for a short time, or risking interference at a critical time?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Never mind! Rock on!