Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Time magazine announced on Wednesday its annual "Person of the Year," awarding the title to "The Protester." Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was recognized in a "Fond Farewell" from the magazine, while Apple CEO Tim Cook was identified as one of 2011's "People Who Mattered."

Though there were suggestions that Jobs should be named the Person of the Year after he passed away in October, Jobs didn't earn the title or even make the magazine's list of runners up. Citing demonstrations in the Middle East, Europe and the U.S., Time declared that "The Protester" was the single most important identity in 2011.

Runners up named by the magazine were four-star U.S. Navy Admiral William McRaven, who is credited with the mission that led to the death of Osama bin Laden, artist and Chinese political activist Ai Weiwei, U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan, and Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.

Though Jobs didn't make the cut as a runner-up, he was recognized in a "Fond Farewell" written by John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar. Lasseter said he thought of Jobs almost as a brother, and told a story about how Jobs asked for his approval to go back to Apple after his company, NeXT, was bought out.

"He didn't want to do it without our blessing," Lasseter wrote. "He said he wanted to go back because the world would be a better place with Apple in it. That was incredibly touching to me, and it showed that Steve cared about people. He knew that his products and technology could improve people's lives."

Also recognized by Time was Cook, Apple's CEO who was named among a list of "People Who Mattered." The short profile of the chief executive noted that before Jobs left Apple, Cook himself said that no one could stand in for the "irreplaceable" co-founder.

"Under Cook's watch, Apple became the most valuable company in the world during 2011," author Doug Aamoth wrote. "Irreplaceable though Steve Jobs may be, Apple's in very good hands with Tim Cook behind the wheel."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 186
    Booo. Should've gone to Jobs or Admiral McRaven imo.
  • Reply 2 of 186
    there was a contest?
  • Reply 3 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

there was a contest?

Bull-shiite
  • Reply 4 of 186
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

there was a contest?

Hmmm protestors, in the UK they are nothing more than a blight on your usual decent citizen, an inconvenience that I wish the police could just round up and move on.

Good choice guys!
  • Reply 5 of 186
    They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.
  • Reply 6 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kate Middleton, Dutchess of Cambridge.

Only Fergie (of Black Eyed Peas infamy) is a Dutchess, the Princess William is in her own right Duchess of Cambridge.
  • Reply 7 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Bull-shiite

• Reply 8 of 186
    They might as well have picked Lohan.
  • Reply 9 of 186
    Right decision IMHO. The global protests have had more effect on the world than Steve Jobs this year. Toppling governments is far bigger than the latest iDevice or version of OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.
  • Reply 11 of 186
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    The protestors accomplished nothing, other than making Time's Person of the Year.

I though the photo cover picture of this was quite interesting.
  • Reply 12 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Next year...
  • Reply 13 of 186
    A guy who sells computers and music players definitely should have won, not a bunch of whiners worrying about social justice.
  • Reply 14 of 186
    Well no shit. He did spend a fair amount of time earlier this year away on sick leave before stepping down as CEO. What notable things have he accomplished this year?
  • Reply 15 of 186
    Excellent choice by Time Magazine.
  • Reply 16 of 186
    What a crock! Years from now when people scan the list of past winners, they will say what was that about. No one will remember OWS a year from now.
  • Reply 17 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

She's been protesting sobriety all year so she's included.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

Excellent choice by Time Magazine.

Agreed!
  • Reply 18 of 186
    Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.
  • Reply 19 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McRCN View Post

What a crock! Years from now when people scan the list of past winners, they will say what was that about. No one will remember OWS a year from now.

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....
  • Reply 20 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Right decision IMHO. The global protests have had more effect on the world than Steve Jobs this year. Toppling governments is far bigger than the latest iDevice or version of OS X.

The Protestor is a worthy winner. Anyone who stands up against tyranny, social injustice, corporate greed or environmental destruction should be celebrated.