Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Giving the PERSON of the Year award to groups & causes waters down the whole purpose for the award.

It's not the first time that Time Magazine has chosen something else instead of a person.

When Time first dissed Steve Jobs back in 1982, it was the "personal computer" that was chosen as the person of the year.
  • Reply 42 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're well out of order and coming across as extremely bigoted.

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.
  • Reply 43 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.

What the future may hold is not of a concern of person of the year. Person of the Year deals with the past, not what that person might do in the future. If they did, Hitler would never have won Person of the Year......
  • Reply 44 of 186
    When we pay attention to something we tend to get more of it. Are these the kind of people we want more of if we're searching for peace, self reliance, freedom?

Would a peaceful person demean his neighbor for his accomplishments?

Would self sufficient person demean his neighbor for not being a load on his society?

Would a person of freedom demean his neighbor for wanting to decide how to use the fruits of his labor?

Do we want more people who want to demean his neighbor? Your someone's neighbor, do you want to be demeaned for your accomplishments?
  • Reply 45 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

"They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?

I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.

I suspect (hope) some (many) of the responses are sarcastic - although apple 1.9 I'm not sure. I hate generalizations - but many people in the west have been clueless about the plight of citizens in some of these countries. Tunisia for example - its a nice warm sunny place where rich people take vacations right?
  • Reply 46 of 186
    Quote:

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

Following some form of "news" doesn't mean you are automatically aware and doesn't exclude you from being a dogmatist.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

The protestors accomplished nothing, other than making Time's Person of the Year.

Really? And here I thought that they had brought about the collapse of at least four entrenched governments in the year 2011.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...

You haven't been to my doctor's office.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Following some form of "news" doesn't mean you are automatically aware and doesn't exclude you from being a dogmatist.

I am no more of a dogmatist than anybody else who has an opinion. My opinion is just as valid as anybody else's.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester'...

Seriously AI?

Get the facts straight. He wasn't even in the list of possible candidates...unless you mean the wish-list from the media and not the actual list that TIME stated in interviews. Way to start a riot on your forums...
  • Reply 51 of 186
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.

You sir, are the poster child for mindless consumer culture.

Absolutely zero understanding or respect for people who are concerned with fighting social injustice and dedicating themselves to creating a more humanitarian world. People who would rather die than live in a world where they see those around them being treated unfairly due to corrupt regimes. All that matters in life are the products you own and the culture which has formed around them (like this forum). How utterly shallow...

Sure, you can spew out your images of the more banal side of protesting to justify your beliefs. Just as I could spew out images of morons who mindlessly follow Apple products or act snobby because they've purchased an Apple product, to justify anti-Apple beliefs. But doing that doesn't capture the whole picture, does it?

Even Mr. Jobs himself had a passion for the humanities which was born out of the counter culture movement of the late 60s & early 70s. Not just buying into what corporate America is selling you, but instead finding your own path and creating your own world.

It's that humanity and disregard for the establishment which drove the creation of the Macintosh, and it's the same sentiment which drives protestors to try and shape the world around them when they see injustice.
  • Reply 52 of 186
    Quote:

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.

Rather than insulting others, you should stop and think how lucky you are to live in a country that isn't so repressive that setting yourself on fire seems like the only option for political change.
  • Reply 53 of 186
    Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.
  • Reply 54 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

So should the founding fathers not have revolted against Britain due to the uncertainty it would bring of what would happen to the colonies after they gained their freedom?
  • Reply 55 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

So should the founding fathers not have revolted against Britain due to the uncertainty it would bring of what would happen to the colonies after they gained their freedom?

No, what does the American Revolution have to do with the current slew of worldwide protests?

Why would you think for one second that when I said "only one has shown? ?real progress" I meant "the fundamental concept of protests" and not "the current slew of worldwide protests"?

Do you also think that when I talked of Steve Jobs' affect on technology that I actually meant "every technological advancement since the dawn of time, including all wartime innovations, which made the world a worse place"?
  • Reply 56 of 186
    Quote:

I am no more of a dogmatist than anybody else who has an opinion. My opinion is just as valid as anybody else's.

I was trying to be kind with that wording. You have called them morons (definition: a stupid person), you have called them retarded (definition: a mentally handicapped person), and you have called them idiots (definition: a stupid person) for protesting. FOR PROTESTING! Based on this and other extreme comments you've made I have to wonder if you'd fall under the clinical term for a sociopath or if you have no concept of severe pain and suffering because you've liived such a short, charmed life that has shielded you from reality.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    I'm glad the Time folks DID NOT disrespect him by not issuing him the award.
  • Reply 58 of 186
    Much to the delight of certain people here, I'm not going to bother to say anything else in this thread, as I've already made my opinion clear, but I will say one last thing.

I am usually right, and wait and see what happens in a few years and we can revisit this topic again. Those protesters will have accomplished nothing and the new societies that they're setting up will be anti-democratic, bigoted and there will be a lot more problems in those primitive countries, especially for certain groups of people like women, gays etc.

If the KKK were making a new country would you cheer it on? Well, I'm not going to cheer on those mideast countries, no way jose.
  • Reply 59 of 186
    A person of the year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehi_GUir0Yw

-kpluck
  • Reply 60 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

In what time frame? A revolution, can change the revolters world for the worse in the short term, in order for things to improve in the long term.

So one great man - SJ would by this definition always win, over any amount of revolutionists?