Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

Spoken like someone who analyzes the world in the same terms as business gains/losses.

Even though the Arab spring protests haven't brought certain stability, they have created a level of hope among people, and put a certain amount of fear into other regimes because of that. Which is a positive step in my books.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    Quote:

No, what does the American Revolution have to do with the current slew of worldwide protests?

Why would you think for one second that when I said "only one has shown? ?real progress" I meant "the fundamental concept of protests" and not "the current slew of worldwide protests"?

Do you also think that when I talked of Steve Jobs' affect on technology that I actually meant "every technological advancement since the dawn of time, including all wartime innovations, which made the world a worse place"?

The worldwide protests caused revolts which toppled governments. Which you stated that only thing they did was remove certainty of how their lives will be in their future. The revolt against Britain did the same thing. It removed the certainty of the colonies lives.

You can't say they shouldn't have won the Person of the Year because they removed that certainty. They won because they caused the biggest impact this year. How their lives will be now is irrelevant.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

Hear hear
  • Reply 64 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

In what time frame? So one great man - SJ would by this definition always win, over any amount of revolutionists?

No, of course not. The timeframe, in this case, is the year. Overall, I'd say that revolutionaries have much more impact than a single person has ever had, but it's not my timeframe to choose.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Even though the Arab spring protests haven't brought certain stability, they have created a level of hope among people, and put a certain amount of fear into other regimes because of that. Which is a positive step in my books.

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying they've removed the certainty of badness. That can only be good. In terms of operational good (so far), however?
  • Reply 65 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Hear hear

That picture represents all protestors as much as this picture represents all Apple users:

• Reply 66 of 186
    I wouldn't line my bird cage with Time Magazine (Or News Week for that matter). They've become far to left-leaning and politicized.

I'm surprised they didn't make "Occupy" protesters the person of the year!
  • Reply 67 of 186
    Quote:

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.

Because Steve did little or nothing WRT having the biggest effect of the year?
  • Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

... People who would rather die than live in a world where they see those around them being treated unfairly due to corrupt regimes. .....

The man chose a permanent solution for a temporary problem and purposely choose to do nothing himself to improve the situation. If that is your leader you know the next step. If that is not your leader step up to the plate and lead by example. People will follow good.

Our great nation grew from 53 self reliant individuals who after burying 50 of their family and friends stood on Plymouth Rock and watched the Mayflower sail out of sight. Then they got busy. "... with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."
  • Reply 69 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

The man chose a permanent solution for a temporary problem and purposely choose to do nothing himself to improve the situation......r."

The man didn't quietly commit suicide- that would be in line with what you said, but committed his life because he felt that was the best thing he could do - what would you have him do instead?

Yes the great nation of the USA & Plymouth rock - of course the revolution and the civil war played a big part too?
  • Reply 70 of 186
    Normally I would be outraged, but as important as Steve is, bringing the ruling class to accountability is far more so.
  • Reply 71 of 186
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

This person represents "The Protester"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

"They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?

I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\
  • Reply 72 of 186
    Quote:

Our great nation grew from 53 self reliant individuals who after burying 50 of their family and friends stood on Plymouth Rock and watched the Mayflower sail out of sight. Then they got busy. "... with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

And they were out there ringin’ those bells and makin’ sure as they were ridin’ their horses through town to send those warning shots and bells that we’re gonna be secure and we were gonna be free. And we we’re gonna be armed.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    Quote:

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

Time is bias and they are very far to the left. This doesn't shock me at all. The part that is stupid no one has any clue at this point if the protesters did anything to advance there crazy liberal agenda. My guess is they haven't.
  • Reply 74 of 186
    Quote:

When we pay attention to something we tend to get more of it. Are these the kind of people we want more of if we're searching for peace, self reliance, freedom?

Would a peaceful person demean his neighbor for his accomplishments?

Would self sufficient person demean his neighbor for not being a load on his society?

Would a person of freedom demean his neighbor for wanting to decide how to use the fruits of his labor?

Do we want more people who want to demean his neighbor? Your someone's neighbor, do you want to be demeaned for your accomplishments?

Andrew Ryan? Is that you? I thought you were dead!
  • Reply 75 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Kate Middleton?! What the hell has she done for anyone?

Thank you! I thought I was the only one scratching my head as to why she was even on the list.
  • Reply 76 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\

Allowing people to post mindless opinions unchallenged is basically allowing idiocracy to rule.

However, I agree that knee-jerk anger responses and name calling doesn't help. IMO, it's much better to take the high road, rationally deconstruct their viewpoints and expose the flaws in a humorous or creative way, showing them as fools in front of everyone else, all in the hope that their viewpoints aren't adopted by other people simply because no one gives a better alternative. You may not be able to change their mind, but hopefully you can prevent the spread of their ideas.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

The man didn't quietly commit suicide- that would be in line with what you said, but committed his life because he felt that was the best thing he could do - what would you have him do instead?

Yes the great nation of the USA & Plymouth rock - of course the revolution and the civil war played a big part too?

Are you suggesting that our leaders are the ones who take the easy way out and quit? Are you suggesting that the best thing this man's imagination could conceive was quit? Or is ending his life easier than working to be the best he can be? Which does our nation need quitters or self reliant, take care of themselves people?
  • Reply 78 of 186
    Quote:

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.

I think it was the RIGHT choice -- even though Steve has had a very positive impact.

"Protests" are going global. From the Arab World to LA Park. We are in a sea change of unrest that is just bubbling under the surface. Economic justice needs to address the growing disparities and the separation growing between power and responsibility for how that power gets used.

In "related news" methane is bubbling up in the Arctic because the warming ocean is releasing methane deposits.

Love Steve, RIP -- but the world and our future are a bit bigger than one man this year.
  • Reply 79 of 186
    Quote:

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.
  • Reply 80 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

A guy who sells computers and music players definitely should have won, not a bunch of whiners worrying about social justice.

Seriously, who needs social justice and human rights when there are iphones and ipads to be had.