Apple allegedly planning semiconductor development center in Israel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In addition to its rumored purchase of Israel-based flash storage provider Anobit, Apple is also said to be planning to open a semiconductor development center in Israel.

Apple's plans to build the new facility came about before the company even entered into talks to buy Anobit, Israel's Globes reported on Wednesday. The new development center will reportedly be headed by Aharon Aharon, who is a veteran in Israel's technology industry.

The Israel facility will reportedly be Apple's first strategic development center located outside of the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. All activities not on the company's campus have previously been related to marketing, sales and support.

"Aharon is scheduled to spend several months at Apple headquarters in Cupertino before returning to Israel to begin activities at the Apple Israel development center," the report said. "Aharon will begin operations regardless of whether Apple buys an Israeli company, and will begin hiring staff suitable for the U.S. company's planned areas of activity."

In preparation for the rumored facility, the report said that Apple's vice president of research and development, Ed Frank, is currently visiting in Israel.

The latest rumor comes just a day after it was said that Apple is planning to purchase Anobit for between $450 and $500 million. Anobit is an Israel-based NAND flash memory company that already supplies components to Apple for products like the iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air.

Wednesday's report from Globes claimed that Apple's acquisition of Anobit would result in savings of between 10 and 20 percent for the company's acquisition of flash memory. The rumored deal is seen as a strategic move similar to Apple's purchase of P.A. Semi in 2008, which set the stage for the company to design its own ARM-based mobile processors for the iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Now Apple can have their own line of chips based on Hebrew place names?
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Seems like a shaky region in which to build a facility. Must be some geo-political strategy involved in this decision, because as a business decision it makes little sense. For a company that needs both diverse and stable suppliers, this is a doubtful strategy.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Brace yourself for boycotts from more radical elements of Arab states
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Seems like a shaky region in which to build a facility. Must be some geo-political strategy involved in this decision, because as a business decision it makes little sense. For a company that needs both diverse and stable suppliers, this is a doubtful strategy.

The region is shaky indeed, but Israel is stable. Many great companies have R&D centers in Israel: Intel, Google, GE, MS, Cisco and many more. Israel excels in R&D and especially in semiconductors, communications and software. It makes perfect sense for Apple to be in Israel since their products and probably their future plans require such R&D muscle.

Go Israel!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The spaceship has just been placed on the future targets list.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Israel is a tech hotspot.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:

Don't worry, the arabs are now concentrated on totally destroying their own future by installing radical islamist governments instead of the dictatorships they had. It is in fact, a downgrade and a tragedy in the making.

Here's hoping that one day they will understand that a secular democratic republic is the only reasonable solution.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Don't worry, the arabs are now concentrated on totally destroying their own future by installing radical islamist governments instead of the dictatorships they had. It is in fact, a downgrade and a tragedy in the making.

Here's hoping that one day they will understand that a secular democratic republic is the only reasonable solution.

Sadly you may be correct. I just hope the majority of the US voters feel the same way as you. There seems to be an ever increasing number wanting religion involved in politics here at home. I wonder when someone dare run for any office without feeling the need to profess some devout religious beliefs. I doubt a self confessed non-religious person could get hired as the town dog catcher here in the USA.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The spaceship has just been placed on the future targets list.

Dangerous, incendiary, unnecessary, IMO.

For all we know, having so many R&D attractors in Israel could lead to more enlightened policies on both sides. Intellects for peace and all that, like in California.

Afterthought: A clarification, since my comment hooked the big grouper below: loose talk can give crazy people bad ideas. Not to pick on you, don't know if you're American, but it is an American tendency to talk up any old nightmare scenario that comes into their disaster-movie-soaked imaginations.

Example: loose talk now comes from prez candidates about regime change, that sort of thing.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sadly you may be correct. I just hope the majority of the US voters feel the same way as you. There seems to be an ever increasing number wanting religion involved in politics here at home. I wonder when someone dare run for any office without feeling the need to profess some devout religious beliefs. I doubt a self confessed non-religious person could get hired as the town dog catcher here in the USA.

I'm not an American, but I dig what you say. Honestly though, the US has always been a very religious place - it is not something new. Hopefully, you can keep the separation of church and state as that was a good move from the beginning. The founding fathers understood the business of government very well...
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

Seems like a shaky region in which to build a facility.

On the other hand, there's plenty of silicon available nearby...
  • Reply 12 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What is a "semiconductor development center" ???
  • Reply 13 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The truth is never unnecessary, IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I dont think those guys are buying a lot of iDevices anyway... And since the region is surrounded by unstable hostile countries this is not a very safe choice.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    This wouldnt happen to be because intel is there?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm just hoping we can avoid a second Dark Ages.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

For all we know, having so many R&D attractors in Israel could lead to more enlightened policies on both sides. Intellects for peace and all that, like in California.

Hmmm... something tells me they are not ready to sit around a campfire and sing Kumbaya just yet.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I'm not an American, but I dig what you say. Honestly though, the US has always been a very religious place - it is not something new. Hopefully, you can keep the separation of church and state as that was a good move from the beginning. The founding fathers understood the business of government very well...

Separation of Church and State was not set by the founding fathers as proof as recorded in the Congressional Records from June 7 through September 25 of 1789—make clear their intent for the First Amendment.

By it, the Founders were saying: "We do not want in America what we had in Great Britain: we don’t want one denomination running the nation. We will not all be Catholics, or Anglicans, or any other single denomination. We do want God’s principles, but we don’t want one denomination running the nation."

1799 court declared:

"By our form of government, the Christian religion is the established religion; and all sects and denominations of Christians are placed on the same equal footing."

Also...

For example, in 1853, a group petitioned Congress to separate Christian principles from government. They desired a so-called "separation of church and state" with chaplains being turned out of the congress, the military, etc. Their petition was referred to the House and the Senate Judiciary Committees, which investigated for almost a year to see if it would be possible to separate Christian principles from government.

Both the House and the Senate Judiciary Committees returned with their reports. The following are excerpts from the House report delivered on Mary 27, 1854 (the Senate report was very similar):

"Had the people [the Founding Fathers], during the Revolution, had a suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, that Revolution would have been strangled in its cradle. At the time of the adoption of the Constitution and the amendments, the universal sentiment was that Christianity should be encouraged, but not any one sect [denomination]…. In this age, there is no substitute for Christianity…. That was the religion of the founders of the republic, and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants."

Two months later, the Judiciary Committee made this strong declaration:

"The great, vital, and conservative element in our system [the thing that holds our system together] is the believe of our people in the pure doctrines and divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

The Committees explained that they would not separate these principles, for it was these principles and activities which had made us so successful—they had been our foundation, our basis.

Where the true birth of "Separation of Church and State" came from:

1947, when, in Everson v. Board of Education, the Court, for the first time, did not cite Jefferson’s entire letter, but selected only eight words from it. The Court now announced:

"The First Amendment has erected ‘a wall of separation between church and state.’ That wall must be kept high and impregnable."

The courts continued on this track so steadily that, in 1958, in a case called Baer v. Kolmorgen, one of the judges was tired of hearing the phrase and wrote a dissent warning that if the court did not stop talking about the "separation of church and state," people were going to start thinking it was part of the Constitution. That warning was in 1958!

Nevertheless, the Court continued to talk about separation until June 25th, 1962, when, in the case Engle v. Vitale, the Court delivered the first ever ruling which completely separated Christian principles from education.

SO if people would stop making ill-informed statements and do just the tiniest of research they would know they dont know what there talking about.

Founding Fathers never wanted separation, they wanted freedom of religion to practice their personal beliefs with out exception from the state.

The First Amendment simply states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting and establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

They can not tell you you can or can't, and if the courthouse wants to display a manger they can do so based on the first amendment but they also can not stop displaying any other religious display.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... something tells me they are not ready to sit around a campfire and sing Kumbaya just yet.

I added to my post above before I saw this.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Used to work in the high tech sector for a domestic company, field service. Traveled the whole country. Got to know the Israelis pretty well. Do not worry about the stability of Israel. Its high tech sector is second to none. Apple will do fine, and quickly become part of the critical infrastructure that is well protected.