Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 141 of 186
    The global protests will change the world and have long lasting impacts. I can accept that choice.

The runners up list is lame.

McRaven may have proverbially cut off a head, but as in Greek mythology many will grow back in its place.

Weiwei may be making a difference, but I hadn't heard of him.

Ryan? A young politician whose policies are those of an 80 year old privileged white man. ACK!

Middleton? Famous because she got married to a prince. How touchingly medieval.

Steve Jobs will go down in history as perhaps the most influential man to have never won the title.
  • Reply 142 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

Yep... My thoughts exactly...

However I do admit that at first blush it was the dregs of OWS that came to mind almost immediately.... Now what I'd like to know is who did the editors at time have in THEIR minds when they made the choice they did....

As for Steve... rest in piece my brother in arms... His presence will surely be missed but somehow I don't think it would have bothered him if he didn't make the cut. Like everything these prick waving contests are just that. His reward was the work.
  • Reply 143 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yep... My thoughts exactly...

However I do admit that at first blush it was the dregs of OWS that came to mind almost immediately.... Now what I'd like to know is who did the editors at time have in THEIR minds when they made the choice they did....

I think that is because the Occupy movement is fresh in your mind due to it dominating the news recently. Where the Arab Spring happened awhile ago( and still happening, but it isn't in the news as much as the Occupy movement).

And I think that is happening with a lot of people in this thread. They hear, "Protestors" and they immediate think of the Occupy people due to it being fresh in their mind.
  • Reply 144 of 186
    Did more in his brief life than all of the protesters together will ever accomplish.

Darwin award to time.

BTW, does anybody even read that magazine anymore?

• Reply 145 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cervellone View Post

Did more in his brief life than all of the protesters together will ever accomplish.

Darwin award to time.

BTW, does anybody even read that magazine anymore?

So Steve Jobs toppled three governments?
  • Reply 146 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

So Steve Jobs toppled three governments?

Governments come and go, especially in underdeveloped and less advanced regions of the globe. One bad leader gets replaced with a new bad leader, it's hardly anything to get excited about.

What Steve Jobs accomplished is far more important of course.
  • Reply 147 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Governments come and go, especially in underdeveloped and less advanced regions of the globe. One bad leader gets replaced with a new bad leader, it's hardly anything to get excited about.

What Steve Jobs accomplished is far more important of course.

Do I think Jobs maybe deserved to win the title some time before? Sure maybe in 2007, 2003, 2001, etc when he brought out innovative products that changed the industry. But, what did he do this year that merited the award besides passing away?

But, I will always put the will of the people above a consumer product. Consumer products are a luxury. I will choose the peoples ability to overthrow an oppressive government that doesn't have their best interest in mind over a consumer product as being the most important. It would be no different here in the US. If Time had a contest between Steve Jobs and George Washington for Person of the Country( if that makes sense lol), would you still choose Jobs and his consumer gadgets as more important than George Washington and the founding fathers fighting to free the colonies from British rule?
  • Reply 148 of 186
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Exactly. Person of the year is all about who has the most impact on the most people in the year. The Occupy protestors and especially protestors in the middle east other protest movements have been going on for months, and they spread almost instantly through the Internet and other means, and no single person could claim to have more impact this year than those people, which is why Time chose "the protestor" as the people of the year.

Occupy has made the news but I have never read about any change/impact as a result of their protests. Exactly what impact are you referring too?
  • Reply 149 of 186
    Quote:

If Time had a contest between Steve Jobs and George Washington for Person of the Country( if that makes sense lol), would you still choose Jobs and his consumer gadgets as more important than George Washington and the founding fathers fighting to free the colonies from British rule?

I think that George Washington would have been deeply offended to have been compared to the protesters and criminals who are currently being mentioned and honored by Time magazine. George Washington had noble goals. I have seen no such evidence of anything noble or good from the protesters as of yet. Though I have seen plenty of evidence to the contrary.

This is obviously an issue that we will just both have to agree to disagree upon. Time will tell which of us was ultimately correct.
  • Reply 150 of 186
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Is Apple ][ a troll? He/she sure is making Apple fans look dumb.
  • Reply 151 of 186
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Especially when those leaders were democratically elected and yet overthrown by the US interests so that they can get their own puppet dictator in place:

Mohammad Mosaddegh

Salvador Allende

Nothing to see or care about... move along... only products matter.
  • Reply 152 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is Apple ][ a troll? He/she sure is making Apple fans look dumb.

According to Conradjoe, I work for Apple's competition. That should be fairly evident to any intelligent person who reads these forums.
  • Reply 153 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Especially when those leaders were democratically elected and yet overthrown by the US interests so that they can get their own puppet dictator in place:

When dealing with those kind of third world places, one has to be pragmatic and strategic, and a friendly dictator is sometimes preferable to the alternative, which can actually be worse.
  • Reply 154 of 186
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

According to Conradjoe, I work for Apple's competition. That should be fairly evident to any intelligent person who reads these forums.

Methinks he doth protest too much.
  • Reply 155 of 186
    Quote:

When dealing with those kind of third world places, one has to be pragmatic and strategic, and a friendly dictator is sometimes preferable to the alternative, which can actually be worse.

Ah yes friendly dictators. Like saddam hussein. We helped put him in power in the 60's and helped him stay there in the 80's. Those people aren't friendly dictators they're puppets. At least when a leader is elected by its own people it's on them if they succeed or fail. That's the beauty of democracy. F@ck dictators.
  • Reply 156 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

That's the beauty of democracy.

I don't believe that Democracy is a global concept that every society is capable of implementing. Somebody mentioned George Washington earlier, and I believe that the USA in 1776 was more advanced than certain other places in the world in 2011.

A society has to be of a certain level, culturally, politically and in other areas in order to successfully sustain a true Democracy. I am not one of those people who believes that the USA should spread Democracy around the world, as it's a waste of time.
  • Reply 157 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

A society has to be of a certain level, culturally, politically and in other areas in order to successfully sustain a true Democracy. I am not one of those people who believes that the USA should spread Democracy around the world, as it's a waste of time.

It should be noted that the USA is not a "true democracy" nor has never been one. It's always been a republic of elected leaders. Of the truest democracy of ancient Greece how true was it was adult women and slaves were given no voice at all, but I digress? the USA is a representative democracy, which is the only way such a physically and culturally vast and diverse nation could sustain such a government.
  • Reply 158 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It should be noted that the USA is not a "true democracy" nor has never been one. It's always been a republic of elected leaders. Of the truest democracy of ancient Greece how true was it was adult women and slaves were given no voice at all, but I digress? the USA is a representative democracy, which is the only way such a physically and culturally vast and diverse nation could sustain such a government.

I agree with you on that. The USA is a federal constitutional republic, a representative democracy.
  • Reply 159 of 186
    Quote:

How is it that I can have this guy on my "Ignore" list and his disgusting posts still show up? Am I not understanding how this works?
  • Reply 160 of 186
    Quote:

I don't believe that Democracy is a global concept that every society is capable of implementing. Somebody mentioned George Washington earlier, and I believe that the USA in 1776 was more advanced than certain other places in the world in 2011.

Supporting brutal dictators is a bigger waste of time. And money, and lives.