Microsoft opens Messenger to XMPP, allowing Apple to connect iChat, iOS clients

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft has opened up public access to its Messenger IM network via XMPP, enabling Apple and others to build open clients capable of interacting with Microsoft users.

In a new "Inside Windows Live" blog posting, the company has announced "public availability of access to the Messenger network via XMPP," a step that finally brings Microsoft into the fold using eXtensible Messaging and Presence Protocol.

Unlike email, which has long used Internet standards to exchange messages between servers, IM providers each created their own proprietary protocols for sending IM, making it difficult or impossible for users on AIM, Yahoo, MSM and other IM services to connect with each other.

Apple initially partnered with AIM to launch iChat in 2002, but by 2004 had introduced a new iChat 3 version that supported XMPP, allowing users to seamlessly connect with Google Talk. In this summer's release of Mac OS X Lion, Apple also added support for Yahoo IM, enabling the chat client to connect to three different chat networks (AIM, Yahoo and open Jabber/XMPP servers like Google Talk, Facebook chat and Apple's own iChat Server).

Conspicuously absent was any support for Microsoft's MSM/Windows Live IM network, which is extremely popular in some areas, particularly in Europe. Microsoft's move to support the open XMPP may explain why Apple didn't build in support for Microsoft's previous, proprietary Messenger network. Apple has separately worked with Microsoft to support its Exchange Server protocols, so it was likely privy to Microsoft's Messenger plans.

Apple and XMPP

Apple has invested significantly in the open XMPP, not only using it to support Bonjour local chat in iChat, but also adding support in Mac OS X Server to allow companies to set up their own XMPP IM services, just as easily as setting up local email services.

Additionally, Apple has used XMPP to power push notifications in iOS and Mac OS X, enabling an energy efficient mechanism for supporting third party app notifications and support for FaceTime and iMessage.

Now that Microsoft Messenger enables open XMPP access, iChat users should be able to add Messenger accounts and directly interact with Messenger users without needing to configure a gateway, use a multi-protocol chat client, or use Microsoft's own chat application.

IM is now largely becoming as openly interoperable as email, thanks in large part to Apple's push behind XMPP. Apple has similarly led the push behind CalDAV calendars and CardDAV contacts, open standards that neither Microsoft's Windows Phone nor Google's Android have supported on their mobile devices, although Google is making some efforts to support the standards in its cloud services in order to interact with iOS devices.

iOS Messages app flirts with IM functionality

Apple appears to be headed toward adding direct IM support to iOS devices through its Messages app. The company has already released direct iPhone to iPad to iPod touch support for iMessage, which automatically connects via XMPP when it detects a connection with an iOS client (using a direct XMPP message rather than SMS, a telephony protocol that requires a mobile connection).

With Microsoft adding 300 million Messenger users to the open XMPP world, Apple appears capable of supporting direct chat functionality with Messenger, Facebook and Google Talk users to its iOS Messages app, as seamlessly as it has added iMessages support alongside SMS/MMS.

Last month, a developer reported that Apple's iOS 5.0 includes IMService code that makes mention of AIM and Jabber (XMPP) alongside iMessage and FaceTime, indicating that it plans to incorporate external IM features on a system wide level.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I stopped using hotmail and MSN Messenger years ago. It is full of spam.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Does it mean we can use iChat to connect to MSN now?

If so, how?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MSN was huge in Europe, especially for teens, but now I see them either using BBM (thanks to cheap Blackberries), but even more so now Facebook chat.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwxiao View Post

If so, how?

You've always been able to do that…

Eventually Apple might release an update that allows for a preset, clickable "Microsoft Messenger" option.

But truly, it's completely irrelevant now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I stopped using hotmail and MSN Messenger years ago. It is full of spam.

I love responding to the spambots on AIM and MSN. They're hilarious to trip up.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I could care less about MS' crap.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    It will be wonderful to see iChat communicating with iOS iMessage or better still, iChat transforming into iMessage for OS X. It'll give iOS device owners with PCs one more reason to switch to Mac.

Just imagine, one iMessage app to talk with anybody, be they on iOS, Messenger, AIM, Google Talk etc.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Where does Skype fit into this?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Where does Skype fit into this?

Doing their own thing. Ignoring standards put in place in 2004. Being completely incompatible.

You know, the standard rut.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've always been able to do that…

Eventually Apple might release an update that allows for a preset, clickable "Microsoft Messenger" option.

But truly, it's completely irrelevant now.

I love responding to the spambots on AIM and MSN. They're hilarious to trip up.

i'm not able to add my msn id in ichat unless you are talking about making new jabber id and add msn in it which is very troublesome…
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i'm not able to add my msn id in ichat unless you are talking about making new jabber id and add msn in it which is very troublesome?

It's three steps. Troublesome? I'll take "troublesome and able to have been done for the past five years" over "'can't' be done".
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

It's three steps. Troublesome? I'll take "troublesome and able to have been done for the past five years" over "'can't' be done".

it's not three steps buddy… first if you have more than 200 contacts and you want to view each of their name properly (otherwise you'll see all the names too big ending with talestskill/[email protected] for example) you have to save each contact in your addressbook… ofcourse to make a jabber id you have a whole lots of jabber services to confuse yourself and select properly which one you need cos some accepts offline chat and some don't… some accepts file transfers and some don't… some are too slow…

like i said friend it is troublesome… i have made 3 separate jabber ids before as each one was not working properly and i had to change after few weeks… now imaging changing contacts all the time…

on topic, this is very good news for the people who wants msn support in ichat as the official windows live messenger actually sucks on a mac… for now i'm using trillian but i'll prefer ichat anyday…
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I can tell you're upset and I suppose I apologize for making you so, but my flippancy is justified. Psy makes the inclusion of MSN contacts into Jabber a three-step process, and thereafter you can assign anything you want any way you want, just like any other contact available in iChat. It's no more work than that which you'd put into properly formatting any other contacts.

Now, granted, no one I know has used MSN since about 2006 because of how abhorrently wretched it is, but it has totally been capable in iChat for many years.

Anyway, call me (not you, the thread in general) when Skype finally says, "We're jerks and should have gone with open standards." or Microsoft says, "We're shutting down Skype to use something that is actually compatible with other services."
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

I can tell you're upset and I suppose I apologize for making you so, but my flippancy is justified. Psy makes the inclusion of MSN contacts into Jabber a three-step process, and thereafter you can assign anything you want any way you want, just like any other contact available in iChat. It's no more work than that which you'd put into properly formatting any other contacts.

Now, granted, no one I know has used MSN since about 2006 because of how abhorrently wretched it is, but it has totally been capable in iChat for many years.

Anyway, call me (not you, the thread in general) when Skype finally says, "We're jerks and should have gone with open standards." or Microsoft says, "We're shutting down Skype to use something that is actually compatible with other services."

i'm not upset with you but the whole jabber service thing for msn… i hope apple supports this msn service in ichat asap… i'm eagerly waiting for it.

i hope too for them to support skype in ichat…
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Let's just say when Apple adds MSN / Live Messenger or whatever it's called these days as a proper option in iChat and even the new accounts preference pane it will be a lot easier for the average user.

I've used jabber using PSI it's not an easy process to follow, but once you've managed it you can usually help others with it. There are just too many steps for the average user and the tutorials frequently go out of date or they seem to miss important steps.

As someone who manages the whole family's Mac computers I really welcome this news.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Now I’d just like to know when iChat will be opened to FaceTime clients, iMessage texts, and will find people in my Address Book without me having to add them as a buddy.

How ridiculous is it that I can iChat with MobileMe, AOL, Yahoo, Google, Jabber, and now MSN users (if I follow the 3 steps Tallest Skil claims but won't explain) but I cannot iMessage or FaceTime my iPhone? Integrate with Skype and I wouldn’t need to have 3+ apps on my MacBooks, iPads, and iPhone to do the same damned thing.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scooteristi View Post

(if I follow the 3 steps Tallest Skil claims but won't explain)

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/icha...hrough-jabber/
  • Reply 17 of 20
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

That's the longest 5-page rendition of "three steps" that I've ever seen!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

That's the longest 5-page rendition of "three steps" that I've ever seen!

I know. They're verbose about it.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwxiao View Post

If so, how?

Try Adium (Adium). Free as in beer, works great and can connect any of these competing protocols. A friend of mine that works at Apple recommended it. I usually keep a GoogleTalk and a Microsoft Messenger accounts connected.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I've been using Adium for years, but I suspect many will go back to iChat now that the big 4 are all supported. I'll certainly be considering it. As for iOS, I hope Apple includes something similar to the messaging app in webOS, that supports different protocols including Skype.