Steve Jobs initially hated Apple's 'Think Different' campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The man was certainly imperfect, even business-wise.

Aren't we all.......

That's what made him so real, so authentic.

You call him "authentic"? Rational people would call him bi-polar.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    I just don't know what to think and I need to get my hands on a copy of the biography. One of the things that concerns me is the repeated observation in the press that Jobs was "mercurial." Was Mr. Jobs actually just thinking out loud and initially dismissing something as shit (gut reaction) and then after thinking it through more thoroughly (reflecting, strategizing) realizing the genius behind it?

I really wonder if what Mr. Jobs had is duplicatable. Can Tim Cook fill Steve Jobs' shoes? I just hope you're right that Mr. Jobs was passionate and demanding - and further that this can be continued in the post-Jobs Apple. Because I really like their products and I want his legacy to endure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by owen35 View Post

After reading the biography, Steve's reaction of "It's agency shit" was a very common one and it doesn't surprise me that it happened here. What is good is that those who were behind these successful endeavors are finally starting to get their due as well. Obviously there were dozens of people involved in every campaign and Jobs' was not the only creative person having input. But it is without question Jobs' continuous demand for--excuse the pun--something different, that always set Apple's commercials and products apart from everyone else. Already I'm seeing these new ads not meeting that standard that he so passionately and vehemently demanded.

• Reply 23 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

That's right! Everything Steve did was perfect! Let's not hear anything more about it!!!!

Those are your words not mine.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big View Post

I just don't know what to think and I need to get my hands on a copy of the biography.

Well, you should.

I found it to be a pretty good read, and I also found that it was as engaging as any thriller that I've read, and ended up reading the whole thing in 2 days. The only thing that I found strange was that he seemed to cry a bit too often.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    Yes, I'm looking forward to reading it!

I'm glad you replied. So, what do you think? Was Mr. Jobs mercurial as the press portrays and just incredibly lucky in his decisions? Or, is his streak of success sustainable? Will Mr. Cook, in your opinion, be able to carry the Apple torch assuring decades more of continued success?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, you should.

I found it to be a pretty good read, and I also found that it was as engaging as any thriller that I've read, and ended up reading the whole thing in 2 days. The only thing that I found strange was that he seemed to cry a bit too often.

• Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big View Post

Yes, I'm looking forward to reading it!

I'm glad you replied. So, what do you think? Was Mr. Jobs mercurial as the press portrays and just incredibly lucky in his decisions? Or, is his streak of success sustainable? Will Mr. Cook, in your opinion, be able to carry the Apple torch assuring decades more of continued success?

Steve Jobs was obviously a real smart guy, but he wasn't perfect of course. Nobody is.

As for being mercurial, yes it seems that he could be that at times, but I suppose that's what made him interesting. I don't mind controversial people and those who dare to "think different" will sometimes meet resistance by others who are too unenlightened to fully appreciate their ideas.

As for Tim Cook, I honestly don't know too much about him, but he seems to be a smart guy and he knows what he's doing. He doesn't seem to be a visionary like Steve Jobs, but he doesn't need to be one either. There are lots of talented people at Apple and i believe that they will continue to make great products for a long time to come.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    As others have said from reading the book this is basically how he reacted to every idea shown to him. Before returning a few days later annoucing he had an amazing idea as if it was his own to the person who said it to him in the first place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If he had truly believed that there wouldn't have been an iPod on Windows. In the end Steve came to believe it was right and so it happened. Just because he demanded to be convinced doesn't mean he was totally against something.

I'm not so sure he came to belive it was right. Reading the book it was more like months of directors telling him and showing him it was the right thing to do before he got fed up of listening to them. The quote of what he said when he agreed to it was something like:

"I'm sick of listening to this shit, if you think it will sell do whatever the fuck you want" - Not exact quote but something along those lines.

Quote:

Well, you should.

I agree, it's a really good book and he sounds like a very interesting person to meet. You'd never want to be friends with the guy but to meet someone who is seemingly always rude unless he wants something from you, doesn't care about anyone else, lives in a mansion with no furnature, smells, wears no shoes, wants to make lots of money but seemingly has no use for it and also cry's a huge amount in meetings would be fairly unique.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Genius isn't having all of the answers. Genius is recognizing them when others would not. Yeah, Steve Jobs probably thought the ad was crap. And who knows. Maybe it was. We didn't see the version of the ad that he saw. We only saw the finished product. Regardless, Jobs got it right in the end. Only after Apple airs an ad like that would other companies see the genius in it. I'd say the same of the "Hi, I'm A Mac" ads. Those changed advertising forever.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If he had truly believed that there wouldn't have been an iPod on Windows.

You're wrong.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Bottom line is that Steve green lighted a hugely successful campaign. End of story.

He wasn't the Messiah. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

He also hated the iMac name.

Exactly. Which was the most crucial and important product name in Apple's history. He preferred the name "MacMan" bwwwuhahah!!!
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aren't we all.......

That's what made him so real, so authentic.

Aren't we all so real, so authentic? No.

Look, people around here thought the man was always right - he wasn't.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve hated the preliminary ads he paid to capture the vision he came up with: `Think Different.'

Apple Inc. not Steve Inc.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

He preferred the name "MacMan" bwwwuhahah!!!

That sounds like a cool name!

I'll buy a MacMan in the future, if Apple were to release one.

Sooner or later, the whole "i" naming scheme is going to get tired.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    So says one guy. From what I can gather, Jobs would call something "complete shit" if he wanted to be convinced of someone's conviction and solidity, not really because he didn't like it. I do the same thing with people when I'm heading a project, though not always so bluntly. It's a way of squeezing the best work out of someone when they're only giving 90%. It's also a way of weeding out those who lack the confidence to stand behind their work.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Genius isn't having all of the answers. Genius is recognizing them when others would not.

Is that what genius is? Besides, as others have said he didn't even recognize some of Apple's best ideas and gave into them like a bitching baby months later. Not: "actually, I think you were right after all", but more: "do whatever the fuck you want".
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Really? You just looked at the pictures and didn't actually read the story?

Perhaps because this article is about, "a lengthy piece written for Forbes by an advertising executive (Rob Siltanen) instrumental to the campaign's creation".

It would explain the lengthy photo
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Sooner or later, the whole "i" naming scheme is going to get tired.

I don't know about that. It's very elegant and very simple. People recognize it as associated with Apple. And the first Mac came out in 1984 and they are still using that term today as much as ever. If you ask me I see the term Mac disappearing before the i nomenclature.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

So says one guy. From what I can gather, Jobs would call something "complete shit" if he wanted to be convinced of someone's conviction and solidity, not really because he didn't like it.

Why won't you guys just call a spade a spade. You'll still sleep tonight if you admit Steve was actually wrong about stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

I don't know about that. It's very elegant and very simple. People recognize it as associated with Apple. And the first Mac came out in 1984 and they are still using that term today as much as ever. If you ask me I see the term Mac disappearing before the i nomenclature.

I think that it'll be around for a good while to come, but Apple has changed the name of it's product lines before, such as when it went from PowerBook to Macbook and PowerMac to MacPro, when they switched CPU chips.

There will probably be some new sort of product in the future again that will warrant a name change.