Acer chairman sees Mac growth stalling in face of ultrabook surge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgbwnet View Post

This is good news. When Wang comments on Apple, the reverse is generally true.

Just FYI:

2009 Wang: Netbook shipment will reach 50 million in 2010 and Acer to take 40-50% of it

2010 Wang: iPad a fad; market share will drop to 20%

2011 Wang: Android 3.0 will "enhance" tablet experience, Acer to get 15-20% market share by end of 2011.

Time for him to make his 2012 false claim!

yep, and acer is now ditching the ghetto PC market because it makes NO money.

i can't believe the guy is still allowed to run the company after comments like these.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The difference is this: Tim knows what he is, and is not, good at. And he knows who to look to on the Apple bench for what he's not. He knows that the Apple DNA requires innovation and that he is not the creative genius.

Tim is not going to F up. He's a 100 times smarter than Ballmer, and unlike Ballmer, he knows where his weaknesses are. Perfect.

If I can't have Steve Jobs, I would take Tim Cook as CEO over anybody else in America.

Thompson

I would take Larry Blankfein over at Goldman in a HEARTBEAT. Man knows how to create cash from absolutely NOTHING. Nobody can defraud a (going to be former) powerhouse nation like Blankfein.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Ultrabooks for $699 sometime next year? BFD.

Order a refurb. MacBook Air right now from Apple for $799.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Acer suffers from foot in mouth syndrome, much like many of Apple's competitors.

They need to lay off the crack at Acer. It leads to people making dumb statements, though it does provide for good comedy.

Acer's creator Stan Shih calls iPad, MacBook Air "short-term phenomena"

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/05/acers...hort-term-phe/

Here's another real smart guy at Acer claiming that the fever for tablet PC's will recede. He's right about tablet PC's, as those have been miserable failures, but he was obviously talking about the iPad (but didn't want to mention it by name) when he made his jealous and deranged comment.

The chairman said while he expects the "fever" for tablet PCs receding and notebooks regaining consumer interest, Acer will still see a loss in the third quarter, though it would be better than the second quarter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7JO0HP20110824
  • Reply 25 of 91
    ryzryz Posts: 5member
    Quote:

...new gains from Windows-based PC makers will erase Apple's recent market share growth

That could be true assuming Apple stood still and stop innovating. Which means .....
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Acer makes Samsung look like an innovator.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    A possible scernario: Windows 8 makes a marginal hit, but given the 95+% marketshare of Windows, it is a significant impact to the market. In parallel, Nokia brings out its Windows Phones. Now, all you Apple people out there, the big thing to note is that Microsoft and Nokia don't have to produce markedly superior products to beat Apple at the numbers game. Microsoft and Nokia have to just produce something that is adequate for most people's needs. So it's possible that a not-insubstantial portion of PC users quite like Windows 8 -- I think it's not bad, and, as a Mac fanboy, I actually liked my test of Windows Phone -- there could be a mini-halo effect where people become aware of the Windows Phone platform. From my circle of friends, most people are not even aware that Microsoft Phone 7.5 is an option, so the advent of Windows 8 could bring the Windows platform to the awareness of the masses who don't know computers well enough to know the difference between Mac and PC. You and I all have friends who ask the question - "Should I go with iPhone or Android". You see, to them, it's all the same. Also in the next year, the PC manufacturers get their act together with building good looking Ultrabooks and thin tablets. And a portion of people are attracted to the Windows 8 tablet platform because it's designed to get work done (content-creation), rather than Apple's overtly content-consumption approach. Even though Microsoft has been slow out of the blocks with its App Store, the sheer overwhelming number of PC software developers mean that in a short time Microsoft's App Store has caught up to the Apple App Store in terms of meeting the average user's needs. i.e. Microsoft might not have caught up in sheer app numbers, but virtually every function that a user needs is covered by at least some app. Thus, inspite of Apple's superior software/hardware platform, the status quo in 7 years time is similar to what we see with desktops. There's my prophecy, folks. Send me $5 bucks in 5 years time if I'm right. (Oh, I'm an Apple fan, with a purchase record of over 15 Macs, several iPods, and two iPhones - and currently have 5 working Macs.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Everyone used to say Mac was more expensive, but now PC vendors are having trouble matching their price. How times change.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Wang by name. Wang by nature.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post

More like "Acer growth stalling in the face of iPads and MacBook air surge."

You took the words right out of my mouth!

That Acer guy sounds like a crack pot.

Slimming down a notebook pc with Windows ain't going to make that sh** any better. It is the Mac experience baby.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

yep, and acer is now ditching the ghetto PC market because it makes NO money.

i can't believe the guy is still allowed to run the company after comments like these.

He must be getting drunk with Diddy on a bottle of Ciroc because that fools talks too much.

But Wang ain't seen nothing yet. Apple will hit 100 billion in the bank by the end of the fall 2012. The iPad 3 and iPhone 5 will devastate the competition.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Acer suffered a humbling first-ever quarterly loss earlier this year in part because of competition from stiff Apple's iPad,...

(Juvenile, I know...)
  • Reply 33 of 91
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sometimes that growth recedes it is the nature of any business. However if you look at Apples AIRs they are just starting to gain the capabilities to encourage wider market acceptance. The 2011 rev has hit the tipping point of acceptability. When the Ivy Bridge AIRs arrive I suspect that sales will just accelerate. Rapidly.

Outside of the AIRs I do see trouble for Apples desktop lineup. There the line is stagnet and is suffering from neglect. This is an internal problem for Apple, Acer can take credit but it is undeserved.

In any event I think this thread highlights why Apple insists on tight lips. Public statements can be twisted and bent in creative ways if you don't have product to backup those claims.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgbwnet View Post

This is good news. When Wang comments on Apple, the reverse is generally true.

Just FYI:

2009 Wang: Netbook shipment will reach 50 million in 2010 and Acer to take 40-50% of it

2010 Wang: iPad a fad; market share will drop to 20%

2011 Wang: Android 3.0 will "enhance" tablet experience, Acer to get 15-20% market share by end of 2011.

Time for him to make his 2012 false claim!

I love how he thought the iPad would be a fad... and then they came out with tablets of their own...
  • Reply 35 of 91
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

He must be getting drunk with Diddy on a bottle of Ciroc because that fools talks too much.

But Wang ain't seen nothing yet. Apple will hit 100 billion in the bank by the end of the fall 2012. The iPad 3 and iPhone 5 will devastate the competition.

I'm very hopeful that iPad 3 will live up to expectations. But we could just get an iPad 2S. My iPad 1 is probably the most impressive Apple device I own, I'm hoping Apple can make the 3 version a standout but a lot if things have to all come together to make that happen.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    The way I see it, Ultrabooks priced at $699 are only going to eat into sales of similarly priced Wintel notebooks. A person who wants a Mac will buy a Mac, whether it is an Air or a Pro. But a person who has a budget of about $600 may decide that $100 more for a nice slim (second-rate MBA imitator) may be worth it. So, they may not really sell more notebooks, let alone eat into the MBA's marketshare.

So if we see a report late next year saying that total sales of Ultrabooks exceeds 50 million units, I will be very interested to see what the difference is between sales of other laptops between this year and next year.

When I decided to buy my first Mac in 2009 (newbie, I know!), I decided to buy the 27" iMac. For the price I could have got a great Wintel BTO, but my priority was that it had to be a Mac.

I assume anybody who wants a Mac will buy one. No one gets a budget and then decides whether to buy a Mac or a Windows machine. They decide first and then create a budget.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

A possible scernario: Windows 8 makes a marginal hit, but given the 95+% marketshare of Windows, it is a significant impact to the market. In parallel, Nokia brings out its Windows Phones. Now, all you Apple people out there, the big thing to note is that Microsoft and Nokia don't have to produce markedly superior products to beat Apple at the numbers game. Microsoft and Nokia have to just produce something that is adequate for most people's needs. So it's possible that a not-insubstantial portion of PC users quite like Windows 8 -- I think it's not bad, and, as a Mac fanboy, I actually liked my test of Windows Phone -- there could be a mini-halo effect where people become aware of the Windows Phone platform. From my circle of friends, most people are not even aware that Microsoft Phone 7.5 is an option, so the advent of Windows 8 could bring the Windows platform to the awareness of the masses who don't know computers well enough to know the difference between Mac and PC. You and I all have friends who ask the question - "Should I go with iPhone or Android". You see, to them, it's all the same. Also in the next year, the PC manufacturers get their act together with building good looking Ultrabooks and thin tablets. And a portion of people are attracted to the Windows 8 tablet platform because it's designed to get work done (content-creation), rather than Apple's overtly content-consumption approach. Even though Microsoft has been slow out of the blocks with its App Store, the sheer overwhelming number of PC software developers mean that in a short time Microsoft's App Store has caught up to the Apple App Store in terms of meeting the average user's needs. i.e. Microsoft might not have caught up in sheer app numbers, but virtually every function that a user needs is covered by at least some app. Thus, inspite of Apple's superior software/hardware platform, the status quo in 7 years time is similar to what we see with desktops. There's my prophecy, folks. Send me $5 bucks in 5 years time if I'm right. (Oh, I'm an Apple fan, with a purchase record of over 15 Macs, several iPods, and two iPhones - and currently have 5 working Macs.

You're absolutely right of course, the rest of the industry in three or four years will have caught up to where apple is in 2011.

However, by that time Apple will have continued to evolve, innovate and kead the way.

Apple do not want the majority of the market, they want to appeal as an aspirational brand and make money at the top of the market, not with the bottom feeders and copiers.

They are doing just fine.

• Reply 38 of 91
    When Apple talks about the future, the suggestion is that there are some interesting projects being worked on that will produce significant gains for the consumer. When executives with other companies talk about the future, they sound like executives focused on figuring out how to turn a profit, grab more market share, and generally all the sort of stuff the average consumer doesn't give a darn about.

If you're talking to the media, your audience is pretty much the end user. Speaking a language that appeals to the end user would be a good idea. Apple gets that, thanks largely to the showmanship of Steve Jobs and the success he had with that approach. Apple needs to continue to focus on producing progressively better products as seen from the perspective of the end user. When talking about what's coming, that also has to be the focus.

Let the Sonys, Microsofts and Acers of the world give off a typically corporate vibe when addressing the media. It's what they do. Apple puts the consumer first and lets profits flow from that. Seems to be working. I've long believed that if you do right by your customers, you will never go wrong. I'm pleased when I see a company excel as a result of excellence that enhances our lives. It encourages companies to pursue excellence. If producing cheap products is the key to success, we're all doomed to living in a world in which there is a race towards inferior products. That companies fail at such a race is a good thing. There is already too much mediocrity, if not downright incompetence, in the world. It's not what we should strive for.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Acer chairman JT Wang expects Apple's gains in the PC industry to weaken over the next two years as a result of a future surge in sales of notebooks matching Intel's ultrabook design specifications.

Wang admitted that platforms from Apple and Google will join Microsoft and Intel, a partnership often referred to as the Wintel platform, to make up the three major platforms of the PC industry, according to a report from DigiTimes, but he believes new gains from Windows-based PC makers will erase Apple's recent market share growth.

"[Wang] expects Apple platform growth will start weakening in the next two years and the major driver will be replaced by rapid growth of Wintel," the report said. He also added a prediction that sales of devices based on Google's Android platform will flatten out in the PC industry.

The executive went on to claim that ultrabooks will spur surging Wintel growth next year when ultrabook prices drop to $699. For its part, Intel believes it will reach a 40 percent share of the notebook market next year with the ultrabook design it unveiled in May.

What? [Wang] must be a smoking crack.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Ultrabooks for $699 sometime next year? BFD.

Order a refurb. MacBook Air right now from Apple for $799.

Which version is that?