Employees rate Apple 10th best company to work for

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has cracked the top 10 list of the best companies to work for, alongside fellow tech giants Facebook and Google, according to a new employee survey.

Glassdoor.com released the results of its annual 2012 Employees' Choice awards, with Apple garnering a "Satisfied" rating of 3.9 out of 5, as pointed out by MacNN. Apple placed 20th in last year's survey with a score of 3.7 and came in 22nd in 2010.

Consulting firm Bain & Company took top honors, followed by McKinsey & Company. Facebook, which won the top spot last year, slipped to third place with a score of 4.3, while Google came in fifth with a score of 5.0.

Bain employees told Glassdoor that the sense of teamwork at the company made it the best company to work for, while Facebook employees said they enjoyed the deep "entrepreneurial environment" of the company.

The site used a 20-question company survey to determine employees' attitudes on "Career Opportunities, Communication, Compensation & Benefits, Employee Morale, Recognition & Feedback, Senior Leadership, Work/Life Balance, and Fairness & Respect" for over 65,000 firms.

Apple has been rapidly growing its workforce in order to keep up with its expanding business. As of September, the company had 60,400 full-time employees, up from 49,400 in fiscal 2010. Nearly 60 percent of Apple's workers are part of its thriving global retail business.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said in June that the company has "grown like a weed" and has struggled to find space for its employees in Cupertino, Calif., and neighboring cities. The company is planning a massive circular spaceship-like office building in Cupertino that will house up to 13,000 of its employees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    yep just call apple the innovation weed :-)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consulting firm Bain & Company took top honors, followed by McKinsey & Company. Facebook, which won the top spot last year, slipped to third place with a score of 4.3, while Google came in fifth with a score of 5.0.

Erm.... Shouldn't that be 4.0?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Given the huge numbers of retail employees now working for Apple, I'm surprised they are still in the top ten. They must be doing something right!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    While this is a nice little kudos to push, I still question the whole thing. This seems to be a voluntary survey that was unlikely to be statistically sound. Also what exactly were the questions and where they focused on the corporate level, retail or both. Plus is it really fair to compare Apple as a tech company or even a retail company with just any other company out there.

When you compare like for like it could turn out that Apple's rankings are much higher. Or lower.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Erm.... Shouldn't that be 4.0?

Depends on how they score it. If they are using 1 as the top level of satisfaction then 4.0 probably is correct.

which again brings up the question, what are the questions.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Depends on how they score it. If they are using 1 as the top level of satisfaction then 4.0 probably is correct.

which again brings up the question, what are the questions.

If 1 was the best then Apple's 3.9 would have it ahead of both Google and Facebook rather than behind. The other typo in the article is that they said Apple was in 20th place last year and 22nd in 2010. Last year was 2010, so should we assume the author meant 2009?

You'd think a blind monkey could edit and fact check better sometimes...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

If 1 was the best then Apple's 3.9 would have it ahead of both Google and Facebook rather than behind. The other typo in the article is that they said Apple was in 20th place last year and 22nd in 2010. Last year was 2010, so should we assume the author meant 2009?

You'd think a blind monkey could edit and fact check better sometimes...

"Glassdoor.com released the results of its annual 2012 Employees' Choice awards, with Apple garnering a "Satisfied" rating of 3.9 out of 5, as pointed out by MacNN. Apple placed 20th in last year's survey with a score of 3.7 and came in 22nd in 2010."

I think AI got it right (this time). Glassdoor's awards are for 2012.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Add me to the list of nitpickers about AI headlines compared with the content of the story.

This one made me think that Apple's own employees think that there are at least 9 other companies they'd rather work for.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I quit Apple earlier this year due to burnout. Granted, I worked in AppleCare, which always felt like the butt end of the company and was always dealing the public. AppleCare and Retail are the two biggest departments of the company in terms of numbers but hardware and software Engineering at headquarters is where its at as far as truly cool jobs. I was dissatisfied enough to quit (after taking Steve's advice: never settle) but after job hunting for a few months now I don't see any employers as good as Apple so far.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SloRider View Post

I quit Apple earlier this year due to burnout. Granted, I worked in AppleCare, which always felt like the butt end of the company and was always dealing the public. AppleCare and Retail are the two biggest departments of the company in terms of numbers but hardware and software Engineering at headquarters is where its at as far as truly cool jobs. I was dissatisfied enough to quit (after taking Steve's advice: never settle) but after job hunting for a few months now I don't see any employers as good as Apple so far.

Can you describe this burnout? Did you feel that AppleCare and retail employees were not getting the support and resources they need to effectively support customers? Were you not seeing enough cooperation between your group and the hardware/software engineering groups?